Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Carl

astro photography on a budget

Hi folks
I'm new at all this user groups stuff so please be gentle.
I have just about completed my dome and want to get set up for photography, but as with most people I don't have a bottomless pit of cash.
I have a Celestron SCT G8 on equatorial mount, not computerised which is about to be mounted on a permanant pier with drive systems.
I am looking at buying a canon 350 digital SLR to take photos.
1. If i purchase software such as dslr focuser does this negate the need to buy an off axis guider or guider scope. Does this software allow you to locate a guide star, focus and continualy update the image so you can adjust your tracking?
2. If I do not buy the software how do I ensure that my image is in focus?
3. Or should i forget about the software and just use a guider scope or off axis guider?
4. Is there anyone out there currently taking pics with the above camera or similar who could point me in the right direction?
If anyone can give me advise it would be greatly appreciated

please excuse the spelling.

Carl
Old 09-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Hi carl and welcome.

Your comparing programs and hardware that are both needed....they dont do the same job.

DSLR Focus is a teriffic program but it does not have anything to do with guiding...it will help you get focus accurately and will handle all your exposures but this has all to do with actual imaging not guiding.

I use it to occasional check focus but my main purpose is it controls all my exposures and mirror lock.

I use this software and a guide scope....one will not do the others job...completely different area we are talking about here.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker
I use this software and a guide scope
Missing something there Tony I think.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Not sure what you mean Phil.

Carl is asking if he use's this software does he still need a guide scope or an off axis guider.

What I am saying is one does not cancel the other out...you may want to clarify what I am missing Phil...

If your meaning what software I think we all know the software being DSLR focus as thats what Carl is refering his question too...????
Old 09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I'll try to interpret for Tony here Carl. I'm sure I know him well enough by now that if I stuff up what he meant he'll forgive me. What Tony is saying is that DSLR Focus is a great program for focusing and exposure control. But to guide your scope you will need either an Off Axis Guider or a guidescope. Now you can manually guide with either or you can use a program like K3CCDTools, Guidedog or Guidemaster with a webcam, LPI or DSI to autoguide.

DSLR Focus will not guide your scope. But it is a fantastic program for helping to get your focus spot on.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Hi Carl and welcome

Lots of people using the 350D here so ask away.

Further to Paul's answer, it is also great to automating your exposure and sequence run so you don't have to touch your scope.

JohnG
Old 10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Welcome aboard Carl.
Just listen to the experts and ask as many questions as you need, that's what everyone is here for but to help.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi Carl

Just a short note to say hello Carl

I agree with John - these guys have a combined wealth of experience. While I am not ready to astrophoto yet I have gained a great deal reading their discussions.

Cheers Petra
Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

That does sound Better Paul...thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Carl

Wow
Thank you for the reply's and warm welcomes. Of course an answer to a question with this hobby can lead to many more questions so here goes.
My budget at the moment does'nt allow me to go out and buy all the bits and pieces, I think my patient wife would shift me permanantly into my observatory never to be seen again.
I can afford all the components except an additional computer to run the software. Until that time can one achieve reasonable results imaging using a digital SLR without the computer to start with. If the answer is yes what's your opinions on Off axis guiders verses guide scopes.

best regards Carl
Old 10-04-2006, 09:31 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Hi Carl

What sort of computing equipment do you have at the moment? If you just have a Laptop you can get away just using the USB cable that comes with the camera, only thing is, you are limited to 30 second shots. If you dont have a computer as such, you can download onto the CF card but I would suggest you try and get one about 1 gig if you are going to do it that way.
As far as guiding is concerned, you have a couple of options, if you can accurately drift align, you MAY be able to get away with 30 second shots without guiding, you can go by way of Off Axis Guider or you can go by way of separate guidescope. Added cost I am afraid. I wont go into the pros and cons of each at this stage, save that for a later question. If you want to photograph longer than 30 seconds you will have to get a different cable.

JohnG
Old 11-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Carl

computing equipment reply

Hi folks
In reply to Johns question re-what computing equipment i have.
Packed up in the garage is our old computer, Hasnt been used for about 4 years but was working when we got our new toy. It has windows 98 on it and from memory it has about a 20gig hard drive, I ran photoshop and other graphics programs ok without it falling over. It does'nt have usb ports but a bloke at work tells me that it's not that expensive to put them in and upgrade. So providing snakes or Rats have'nt moved into the unit i might be able to crank it up again.
I can get a long term loan of an off axis guider from one of our club members. So would I be getting close to a practical starting point for photography?

Regards Carl
Old 18-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Carl

In addition to the above. I have a CG5 mount which came with the C8 celestron and am planning to use it for astro photography. 2 other members at the club have the same mount and are very happy with the results.
Now I know it isn't an expensive mount but it's what i can afford and have been led to beleive that imaging will be fine. Should I get it servised first and does anyone know of a reliable servicer and whats the best way to stabilize this type of mount once placed on a permanat pier?
Any thoughts
Regards Carl
Old 19-04-2006, 04:18 PM
anthony2302749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
In addition to the above. I have a CG5 mount which came with the C8 celestron and am planning to use it for astro photography. 2 other members at the club have the same mount and are very happy with the results.
Now I know it isn't an expensive mount but it's what i can afford and have been led to beleive that imaging will be fine. Should I get it servised first and does anyone know of a reliable servicer and whats the best way to stabilize this type of mount once placed on a permanat pier?
Any thoughts
Regards Carl
Hi Carl

I am late to this discussion but like the others, I am ready to help. I see that you have a CG5 mount. Is this your standard dual axis drive mount or the GO-TO version? If it is GO-TO you should be able to Auto-Guide, if not then you will need to manually guide.

May I suggest that you look at doing wide-field photography first. It is simple, just piggyback the camera on top of your scope. You should be able to do 1 to 5 min exposures (film camera) with out guiding and get results the first time out.

Anthony

P.S. If you you plan to purchase a DSLR. The Canon EOS 350D can be controlled via computer using the software that comes with this camera. You will be able to focus the camera with this software by taking an image (which downloads to the computer via USB and then is displayed on the screen). To do this take an image, check to for correct focus, adjust focus, take another image, adjust focus until you get perfect focus. When it comes to taking an image you are limited to 30sec exposure but you are able to take multiple image which you can stack later on with Registax.

Last edited by anthony2302749; 19-04-2006 at 06:47 PM.