ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Lee022

10" Saxon dob for deep space?

Hey guys im quite new to all this, and im thankful i found this site.
Just a quick question what deep sky objects are worth looking at with a 10" dob. Ive got a ALP antares filter aswell as various eyepieces. Any thoughts???
Old 29-01-2009, 03:35 PM
stevejack (Steve)

Hi Lee,
I am new to this as well and also have a 10" dob. Other more experienced members will be able to chime in with more exact information, but if you havent already - take a look at 47tuc (globular cluster) which is next to the SMC.
Orion Nebula is always easy to see even with the moon around - and if you are under dark skies take a look at the Tarantula Nebula which is in the LMC. Actually just pan around the entire area of the LMC, it really looks great through a 10".

As for galaxies, I can't remember the NGCs but there are quite a few worth taking a look at (though don't expect to see spiral arms or any real detail for most of them). I saw around half a dozen galaxies last weekend but high winds made viewing difficult.

Sorry I can't help further but I'm sure someone else will be able to give you better info (especially for using your filters)!
Cheers
Steve
Old 29-01-2009, 04:11 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Do you have an atlas or a planetarium program? (Cartes Du Ceil and Stellarium are very good free examples)

Many people start by looking for the Messier list objects, but there are many more to see, especially with a 10"er

Have a look in the Observational Astronomy subforum here on IIS; also you could do a search for threads by "glenc" which generally contain many many lists of objects to observe - normally sorted by object type, magnitude, whatever..

*EDIT* heres the search results I mentioned
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...earchid=982714
Old 29-01-2009, 04:35 PM
stevejack (Steve)

Agreed - I have Stellarium and it's great!
You might consider making a set of analog setting circles as well, perhaps with a digital angle finder from carbatec - do a search for analog setting circles in the DIY section. Well worth it if you already have a laptop (and can't afford Argo Navis just yet). Stellarium or similar software will let you search for the objects by their name/code, and will tell you exactly where to point your scope according to your setting circle / angle finder.
Old 29-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Lee022

Hey thanks for the ideas, especially the angle finder ill defintely be looking into that.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

saxon dobs are just a slightly lesser of the SW, all come out of the same factory called synta, Celestron, SW, Saxon and a heap of others all come out of the same hole. just different colours and different QA specs.!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
astro_nutt

Hi Lee,
I've owned one of those 10" Saxon dobs for a few years now and have found them to be a good honest scope. I also invested in a right-angle finderscope..but you might have to change the (supplied) mounting plate over..be sure the tube is horizontal when you do and place a piece of A4 paper in the tube under the plate to catch any nasty bits...to help you use the finder, make a "star sight" from a piece of angled plastic..( I used a piece of ice cream tub )..about 2cm x 2cm and make a 1cm hole..glue this on top of the finder bracket and this should help you position the area/object in question...As for deepsky objects to be found..NGC 253 in Sculptor is always a treat but try Eta Carina with a 20mm EP and 2x barlow...simlpy stunning!!
Cheers!