Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

A good decision, if you live in a rural area and there is no need to move the scope, the 12" is the best choice.
With a 10" you have to bend over a lot, with a 12" you rarely do.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
A good decision, if you live in a rural area and there is no need to move the scope, the 12" is the best choice.
With a 10" you have to bend over a lot, with a 12" you rarely do.
Now that is an important piece of information that no one thought to mention. A bloke who suffers from a bit of back pain needs to know little snippets of information like that. It had never occurred to me that the viewing posture of each could vary somewhat. Many thanks Glenc, you've helped me to confirm my decision.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:34 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

But you can hurt your back if you lift the 12" the wrong way.
I have wheels on mine so I can wheel it around like a wheelbarrow.
See: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...1&d=1139814803
That is an example, not my scope.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Wombat_In_Space (Darren)

As a long time owner of a GSO 12" nearly 3 years, if you are not worried about transporting it e.g: have a wagon or 4WD then go for the 12" solid if you have small car go for the truss 12".
Old 04-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hey Dog Star,

Check this out, I just found a hot damn! special at Andrews for 12inch Skywatcher DOBS - $599.

Sorry Psyche101 I know you just bought a 10"

Cheers

Chris
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Thanks for that Screwey, most thoughtful. Hmmm. Working out what you want is only half the battle. The major battle is to work out who to give your money to.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

The choice has become trickier now Phil ... keep in mind however that these are the exact same basic scope from the same manufacturer, it's only the "trimmings" that vary slightly.

I've pasted the relevant bits from both websites below - Bintel have more "florid" detail but I've removed some of the "filler" and left the basics.

The main diferences I can see is that you get 5 ep's at Andrews, and a Right Angle / Correct Image finderscope for $50 less, Bintel appears to provide the basic "Straight Through" finderscope instead and 3 ep's.

Bintel will also pre-collimate the scope, the alignment of the primary mirror will most definitely move around while on it's way to you up there and will need adjustment again, but the secondary position "up and down" the tube should not move. While all aspects of collimation are skills you can learn to do well, on your own, from the internet (I did) there is some value for you, being so remote, in having that done for you first. I strongly suggest you also buy a Combination Sighting / Cheshire tube to assist in your own collimation, and perhaps a laser collimator afterwards as well to augment your ability to do a "quick touch up".

The 6mm (from Andrew's) will be hard to use when wearing glasses due to it's very short eye relief (ie distance from lens to eyepiece to obtain a proper image), and the 25mm is almost redundant since they give you a wide angle 32mm as well. That leaves a 9mm, 15mm, and 32mm wide - which is what Bintel provide.

(Interestingly though Andrews state clearly that the "GSO dobs have a 3 year factory backed warranty" while Bintel advertise "You get piece of mind with our comprehensive 2 year guarantee.")

The choices in more detail ....

$749 at Andrews Communications

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

Super Deluxe version
Super low price!
$749.00 AUD

First grade 12" (300mm x 1500mm) Dobsonian reflectors with truly outstanding 1/12 surface wave BK7 mirrors and 2" Crayford style focuser with 2" to 1.25" adaptor.

Super Deluxe version includes a right-angle correct image 8 x 50 finderscope, 2" Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1 fine focusing and a 2" to 1.25" adaptor, fan, GSO 6mm, 9mm, 15mm and 25mm 1.25" Plossl eyepieces - and a bonus SP32mm 2" eyepiece, too!

or.....

$799 at Bintel

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=6994

Bintel BT-302 12" Premium Dobsonian
Click here for larger picture

$799.00

Stock code: 6994 New models now include 10:1 fine focus Crayford focuser
302mm mirror diameter with a 1500mm focal length (f/5). A cooling fan ..... equipped with a 2" 10:1 Fine focus Crayford focuser

Standard Accessories include: - Eyepieces: 32mm Wide View (2"),15mm and 9mm Fully Multi-coated Plossl (1.25").
- Moon filter 1.25" for improved Lunar contrast and detail
- 8x50 Finderscope
- Mirror cooling fan

Every Bintel Telescope has been given a full checkup prior to sale. The Optical Tube Assembly is thoroughly checked and collimated to ensure your new telescope is going to perform as you would expect. Not only can we supply an excellent telescope at a fantastic price, we offer the after service support to ensure years of happy observing.

Specifications:

- Aperture: 302mm
- Focal length (f/#): 1500mm (f/5)
- Limiting magnitude: 14.9
- Resolving power: 0.38 arc sec.
- Weight: 20kg OTA, 12.5kg Base
- Dimensions: OTA 1450mm long ~ 450mm diameter including tube bearings
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
PeteMo (Pete)
Bagdad astro nut

There is a defininte difference between a 10" and 12" but how much difference depends on what type of object you are looking at. I've a 10" SkyWatcher dob and had the opportunity to have a look through it's bigger brother. The 12" seemed a bit brighter to me with Omega Centauri, along with galaxies like M104 (sombrero), M65, M66 and M96. A lot of differences will be subtle, like extra detail in cloud bands on Jupiter/Saturn, or extra definition to whisps of gas in nebulae etc. The 12" dob user didn't complain about light loss when he viewed through my 10" scope, so for most run of the mill stuff you may not notice much difference.

Although a 12" dob mirror has 1.44 times more surface area than the 10", please remember that this does not equal 1.44 times brighter, or sharper.
If I remember correctly, to double the amount of light you see you will need a mirror with 4 times the area, (square law). Going from 10" to 12" won't be like going from a 60W bulb to a 100W bulb. More like a 60W to 75W, for want of a light bulb anaolgy. I certainly don't regret getting my 10".

In the latest ads for BinTel in AS&T, they state that the 8, 10 and 12 dobs have "8 x 50 90 degree Finder Scope", so the spec is identical to Andrews minus the 6mm and 25mm Plossls.

It's amazing just how much dobs have come down in price, even SkyWatcher 12" dobs are now under a grand, whereas they were close to $1400 when I got my 10" SkyWatcher last year.

Enjoy!

Last edited by PeteMo; 05-05-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMo View Post

It's amazing just how much dobs have come down in price, even SkyWatcher 12" dobs are now under a grand, whereas they were close to $1400 when I got my 10" SkyWatcher last year.

Enjoy!
Hey PeteMo, check out my post on reply 25, the Skywatcher 12" dob is now only $599!

But from what you are saying, the 10" version more than does the job hey? For $599, could you say no?

Chris
Old 07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

i would be happy with either of those

Oh hi Chris

Last edited by Jen; 07-05-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: i forgot to say Hi to Chris :)
Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Hiya Jen,

Didnt notice you there, until I saw the emoticons, ha ha ....

Its good to be noticed

Cheers
Chris
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
Hiya Jen,

Didnt notice you there, until I saw the emoticons, ha ha ....

Its good to be noticed

Cheers
Chris

i think we have just hacked this thread heheheh
Old 15-05-2008, 09:33 AM
psyche101
Watcher

Thanks for the heads up Screwdriverone, but I really do not go for the mail order stuff. I have very limited time,and dearly love to browse, so I thought the 10" @ $549 still good value, and I used it that very night. I would be devestated if I waited a week for something and the mirror was broken in transit or something. I would like a 12", but think I might hire one for planned nights. The 10" alone is one heavy cannon to lug into the backyard even I find, I am going to glenc's wheel thread he mentioned (thanks for that) to apply the principal to the 10". Us old fellas can't lift like we used to LOL Although I didn't realise that the 12" was less bending over, wish I had known that as that would certanly have been a major consideration, but as I said, locally the 12" was more than double the price of the 10", and I was told the difference was not at the eyepiece, but the eypiece at that size. Can anyone clarify/expand on that? I spent the differerence between a 10 and a 12 on a set of Meade eyepieces, good compass, filters and a 3x barlow, which it seems woks real well with my new 14mm eyepiece. Not a patch on some of the closeups I have seen on the photography section in here, but I assume there is a few tricks for a beginer to learn to get that close. It dead set looks like some members have flown, landed on the moon, and spent a few days in Jupiters orbit with camera in hand!!! The Hubble would be jealous!! The talent here amazes me.
I must say I am more than happy with the 10". I am just amazed at messier objects, and I really am taken with the large eyepiece, although I only have a 32mm, it really is impressive on clusters and the like. I have never seen the Milky Way in the way that my Dob showed it to me. I really was amazed (and continue to remain that way). The range of eyepieces is just great too, they offer a very satisying diversity.
Old 30-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Old 30-06-2008, 05:12 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
Hiya Jen,

Didnt notice you there .....
You probably looked straight over her . She's a self-confessed short**** (says big, strong 6'2" Dave ducking for cover) .
Old 30-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
You probably looked straight over her . She's a self-confessed short**** (says big, strong 6'2" Dave ducking for cover) .

look out Dave i can still see ya wif my telescope
size dosnt always matter when umm well maybe but...........

Old 30-06-2008, 07:48 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
wif my telescope

Huh?? That's a funny name for a scope. Or does your scope wif? If it does I suggest you don't keep it in such a damp spot.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Huh?? That's a funny name for a scope. Or does your scope wif? If it does I suggest you don't keep it in such a damp spot.