Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

The EQ6 is good value for money for the weight it can carry, though you do have a trade off in that it's periodic error (regular gear induced tracking error from out of round/none centered worm gears etc) is worse than more expensive mounts (normally). Having said that many imagers are turning out fabulous shots using the EQ6. Just don't expect its performance to be that of an Astro Physic Mach1, but at around a quarter the price you wouldn't expect it to be.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

The next step up from the EQ6 (for weight capacity) would probably be the Losmandy G11 which varies from around $5000 and then add another $1500 for Gemini goto (these are only ball park figures. Plasmodium could tell you what the latest prices are as he has just bought one).

There is also a Celestron mount (CGE about $6000) available in the same carrying capacity, but I don't know much about it.

Last edited by [1ponders]; 04-10-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

I see. EQ6 it is then fingers crossed it does the job. I might leave the 300/2.8 in the bag and just use lighter lenses until I get a grip on it all.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Any idea where you are going to get it from?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My point, apart from the point re astro cameras, with your cams and current lens with a good mount and any old guide scope you will get fantastic widefields. I used only an eq5 and for widefield it can run unguided for 45 mins. Using a scope at f5 sees only 150 to 200 seconds of decent tracking.. look into periodic error regards mounts if you have not already. I would be experimenting there first up the shorter f/l's to start there will be less frustration with tracking. I think the tracking (hence mount efficiency) is the first thing to get aquainted with.. anyways a bad decision is better than no decision or indecision and any of your opions would not be bad. I though similar about noise but I expect there is a reason people spend big bucks on cooled cams.. I just recon you will want better than you even have now ...happens to most people in this game .
Good luck
alex
Old 04-10-2006, 06:45 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

I'm not really tied down to anywhere yet. I've been talking to Don from Bintel a bit by email and dropped in there this afternoon to have a chat in person and more importantly I wanted to have a look at the eq6pro in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
Any idea where you are going to get it from?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:49 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejanus
I'm not really tied down to anywhere yet. I've been talking to Don from Bintel a bit by email and dropped in there this afternoon to have a chat in person and more importantly I wanted to have a look at the eq6pro in person.
IsDonIsGood!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

hiya,

yeah the widefield on the camera piggyback is something I'm really looking forward to playing with. A mate said to me something similar re : shorter FL's. He suggested getting the GEM + a modest APO (I guess the orion 80mm is a good example) and using that until I get the hang of things, THEN get a 10" SCT.

The only problem with that incredibly sensible idea is that I'm a bit of a twit and kinda want a big scope to look through The store said the lx200 would take 6 weeks to get in so maybe I could do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave
My point, apart from the point re astro cameras, with your cams and current lens with a good mount and any old guide scope you will get fantastic widefields. I used only an eq5 and for widefield it can run unguided for 45 mins. Using a scope at f5 sees only 150 to 200 seconds of decent tracking.. look into periodic error regards mounts if you have not already. I would be experimenting there first up the shorter f/l's to start there will be less frustration with tracking. I think the tracking (hence mount efficiency) is the first thing to get aquainted with.. anyways a bad decision is better than no decision or indecision and any of your opions would not be bad. I though similar about noise but I expect there is a reason people spend big bucks on cooled cams.. I just recon you will want better than you even have now ...happens to most people in this game .
Good luck
alex
Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

A few options to consider re stores:
www.bintel.com.au good after sales service with their own workshop and qualified technicians, so if anything goes wrong 99% of the time they can fix it there in the store

www.myastroshop.com.au often cheaper than Bintel (check though individual items an vary in price), the guy behind the shop front is an avid amateur astronomer and a great help, good service but I'm not sure if he has an after sales service or where he gets warranty work done.

www.andrewscom.com is probably the cheapest of the lot but generally only sell cartons, and are not a dedicated astronomy store.

eg. check out the price difference between the eq6 with Skyscan $1000 difference. But sometimes the cheapest price isn't the best price
Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM
CometGuy

Gav,

I noticed you have the Canon 300 f2.8. Thats a very nice APO telescope by itself and with a 2x Teleconverter yields a 600 5.6. It may even be better optically than the Orion 80.

Terry
Old 04-10-2006, 07:39 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

Hi Terry,

The only problem with the 2x tele on the 300mm is that it's really poor optically at f/5.6 and realistically it's not even that stunning at f/8 - it really needs to be stopped down a fair bit to pick up it's optical quality.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Get the big scope and piggy back the 300 mm ..have a look at Bert's 300 mm work herein..it was 300mm I recall.brilliant work..
I was in sales once and I realised people want what they want and ask until they find someone who agrees so they feel good about going ahead...you cant go wrong no matter what you do..and you can never have to many scopes. Welcome aboard you have the making of a true enthusiast .
alex
Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 PM
RB (Andrew)

Gav, I'd give the 300mm and/or 2x a go, you may be very pleasantly surprised mate.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:27 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

haha thats a nice quote there

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave
I was in sales once and I realised people want what they want and ask until they find someone who agrees so they feel good about going ahead...you
Old 05-10-2006, 12:11 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

thanks for all the info guys

I just ordered the eq6 pro mount, and the orion 80mm ED and the necessary bits to put the dslr on top of the scope, and also to attach it to the scope. I'm super keen to give the camera a try on top of the mount.

Don said there is a new version of the mount coming out in 1-2 weeks so I'm waiting on that to arrive.

I'm just going to make sure I have a good grip on it all and get a little experienced and will then get the lx200 - probably around nov/dec as I have a month off work in january and would like it then to play with it.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM
RB (Andrew)

Excellent Gav, wise choice mate.
Hopefully we'll get to meet up sometime at Kulnura.

BTW do you have any terrestrial photos you might like to share with us?
Maybe start a new thread in the Cameras and Photography forum.
I'd love to see some taken with the gear you have.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

I mostly do weddings and modelling but sure I'll post one or two

If the scope arrives here before the day of the next meet I'll do my best to get up there.

cheers
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am going to stick an old widefield taken last March using standard 300d on eq5 and $200 guide scope to wet your appetite
alex
Old 06-10-2006, 04:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Have a look in Deep Space forum herein at Widefield 300d example..its only 6 meg can you imagine what you will be able to do?
Good luck ..say Hi to Don for me
alex
Old 06-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

How many other counterweights do you have on that shaft Paul?