how is a newb supposed to resist!?!
Don't. It was meant to be ...
Old 15-03-2006, 02:41 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Hi Vespine

You will find the specs of GSO Dobs here:
http://www.telescope-service.com/dob...start.html#gso

FWIW: My 12" GSO Dob usually travels, fully assembled, in my Mitsubish van. I have transported it in the same manner as Wombat I.S., that is, in my wife's Mazda 4wd wagon with the OTA laid between the 60/40 split rear seats, and the rocker box in the back.

I move it around the house, again fully assembled, with the aid of a $20 trolley. No lifting or grunting, no probs.

Hope this helps your decision to buy a 12" dob, that is..................

Dave W
Old 15-03-2006, 06:52 PM
vespine

Damn, I went to Bintel after work and they still have $1099 on the 12"... I asked and he said he thinks it's a mistake made by their head office in Sydney and they won't be dropping the price very soon. He also said he wouldn't trade the EPs for upgrades but tried to convince me they were quite suitable... Oh well, looks like i'll wait! Oh, and holy cow, seeing a Meade 2" 40mm ultra wide for the 1st time was something!!
Old 15-03-2006, 07:04 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I think you'll find Melbourne is always lagging the Sydney shop as far as updates on prices / new products are concerned.

I thought they might not go for the EP upgrade. Those EPs must be worth very little to them. But the plossls are indeed suitable. Not sure about the FMC Kellner though. Try and swap it for a GSO 32mm Plossl (they should be worth about the same, maybe they even come out on top).
Old 15-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Whangdoodle
Welkin Watcher

The prices are not correct for the 10" and 12" Dobs at Bintel. There was a mistake. The scopes have a BK7 mirror, crayford focuser, mirror fan and I think most even have a set of 1.25" planetary filters. There is the FMC Kellner variety and 2 of the GSO Plossls. Maybe the 32mm Plossl can be substituted but just make sure you say Whangdoodle said it was OK.

Last edited by Whangdoodle; 15-03-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 15-03-2006, 07:14 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespine
Damn, I went to Bintel after work and they still have $1099 on the 12"... I asked and he said he thinks it's a mistake made by their head office in Sydney and they won't be dropping the price very soon. He also said he wouldn't trade the EPs for upgrades but tried to convince me they were quite suitable... Oh well, looks like i'll wait! Oh, and holy cow, seeing a Meade 2" 40mm ultra wide for the 1st time was something!!

Phone Bintel in Sydney and see what they can do. As to the eyepieces being suitable. Not IMO, the 2 1.25" plossls are fair (thats being generous) and the 2" 32mm GSO FMC Kellner is absolute garbage in an F5 scope (and thats being even more generous). Someone with cataracts could even tell the 2" 32mm Kellner had SEVERE astigmatism and field curvature in an F5 scope from 50% off axis. Its not a bad eyepiece in an F10 and slower scope but that's not what they're selling and you're buying in this case.

CS-John B
Old 15-03-2006, 07:19 PM
vespine

Hmm, price on the website is back to $1099 too now... Looks like it may have been a mistake, I swear it said $949 this morning..
Old 15-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Whangdoodle
Welkin Watcher

I dont remember my local camera shop allowing me to swap my 4mm Huygunian and 3X Barlow when I bought my first 60mm Tasco
Old 16-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

meade stuff isnt really my thing but sure i still think they have great stuff, guess i just dont agree with the prices =p