Old 20-02-2008, 12:52 AM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

40D versus 450D versus nikon

The 450D will be out by April and probably a bit cheaper than the 40D.
SD card and 12 .something mega pixels versus 10.something for the 40D.
It is between the 400D and the 40D.
Both have live view.

Then there's always Nikon and I know Omarroo swears by them and I value his opinion.
Somebody please try and convince me which one to buyI'm going nuts and confuddling myself the more I look.
I will be using it for both astro aswell as general happy snaps at this stage.
Old 20-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

LOL! Steve

The sad and plain truth is that there is definitely better support for Canon cameras in astrophotography circles. Canon are not "better" cameras overall - far from it - they are merely an alternative that seem to have some small traits that suit astro work better. Current NEF (Nikon's RAW) image format is pre-processed - i.e. not entirely raw as such - where the Canons' are. The new Nikon firmware in the D300 and D3, I believe, now supports a true RAW image, but I need to check on that.

I far prefer the colour and tonal qualities of Nikon cameras that I've used over Canons that I've used for terrestrial duties - but that's me. Others will disagree. I also way prefer the feel of Nikon bodies - they suit my hands far better and feel far less "cheap" in the hand. I also prefer the menu systems - far more logical than Canon menus - again - to me.

Canon have third party manufacturers such as FotoSharp and others supporting them and not Nikon users. Go figure.

The new D3 (uber-expensive) and D300 are starting to make inroads now though. My D40 (CCD) has very low noise and amp glow characteristics (far lower than the previous D50 & D70's), but the D300 is lower still and has taken on CMOS as its underlying technology now too. High ISO performance of the D3/D300 is reputedly far better than that of its competitors - but the leap frog effect will come into play soon no doubt. I think that people put far too much value on a high pixel count. Higher number of pixels does not equate directly to "better" quality images - it's up to interpolative software to manage the resources and image quality produced. In fact - it's been touted by many that as pixel density increases on the array, the noise levels increase as a direct consequence - which is why Nikon did not push the D3 beyond 12Mp - to their credit. The D3's high ISO performance is testament to this.

There are plenty of people that use Nikons for astro work Steve. Just go to Cloudy Nights to see that - but if you just want to go with the "flow" and not argue with anyone - go Canon. I never thought I'd say that. LOL! If I didn't have over a dozen Nikkor lenses from a family of Nikon users 'd probably do a Canon 5d. For reference, Shevill Mathers from Tasmania is currently using his Nikon D100, D200 and D300's to great effect.

At the end of the day Steve - I'm a loyal Nikon user because my old man let me use his Nikon F (the original and very first pro SLR) back in the early 70's - as well as his El and EL2 bodies and raft of lenses. The F has done well over a million frames in its life - and it still looks and works like new. They have all been utterly reliable for nearly 40 years - and were used extensively because my father was the president of a large Sydney camera club for years. On the flip side, I had a Canon T70 and original EOS film cameras back in the 80's (rebelling against my father for some reason) and a couple of Elph digitals is 2002-4, and they ALL broke or failed for various reasons - none have survived the easy life I gave them. There' my reasoning.

Last edited by Omaroo; 21-02-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 20-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Just from a weight perspective, my Canon 40D is noticeably heavier and physically larger than my Pentax *ist DS. If you are going to be hauling the camera around on day trips, outings and holidays, consider the weight difference, if any, between the Canon 40D and 450D if they both offer the same functions.

The 40D feels as if it's built like a tank as I assume it caters for the pro market?

I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been to move between the Pentax and Canon without too much confusion, so it seems that once you have learned to use a particular brand/model, like riding a bike, you don’t appear to forget.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 20-02-2008, 09:44 PM
robin
Brave Sir Robin

Since 1984 Ive shot professionally with Nikon & only Nikon. To me there's no better choice but then maybe Im biased. I prefer the in-your-hands-feel of Nikon. The build quality(on the pro/semi pro models) is 2nd to none. Ive shot thousands upon thousands of images using Nikon gear from boats, planes, helicopters, hotair balloons, skyscrapers, in caves, in angry mobs, bushfires & hospital operating rooms & its never let me down. My opinion on this topic is that both Nikon & Canon are fine cameras & will serve you well if properly maintained & looked after. The majority of the forum guys seem to be canon junkies & if thats what delivers the goods for them then they've made the right purchase.
Old 20-02-2008, 09:52 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

no offense to nikon lovers out there but i'll stick with the canons esp for astrophotography wise with more knowledable ppl around as well as the support side of things. between the 40d and 450d, i'll lean towards the 450d for the light weight purpose .
Old 21-02-2008, 02:43 PM
tornado33

The 450D will be quite light, and thus would be quite suitable for cooling as the cooler adds weight, a cooled 40D would be quite weighty
Thenonly dissapointment is why they went to SD instead of staying with the current CF cards. Now canon has DSLRs that no longer all take the same media. Hope they dont do the same with lenses!
Old 21-02-2008, 03:09 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Thanks you lot!

Just bought the 40D as the 450D probably wont be released in time for my trip to the Kennedy Space Centre and if it is it will be only just out, and I doubt I'd have enough time to learn the ropes.

I think I'll get the 450D aswell and keep it as a dedicated astro cam
Old 21-02-2008, 03:32 PM
DJDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Thenonly dissapointment is why they went to SD instead of staying with the current CF cards. Now canon has DSLRs that no longer all take the same media. Hope they dont do the same with lenses!
This is great!
I have about 15 SD cards for our nikon D80 and Canon "snap happy" pocket-size camera. Now I can get the 450D when it comes out and not spend more money on compact flash cards.
Old 21-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Ahh Gawd... another one!

Good luck with it Steve. Hope you have a top trip.