Old 20-11-2018, 01:29 AM
MarcusG

Cooled CMOS Recommendations

Hi all,

I've been considering getting a cooled colour CMOS camera for a little while now to go with an ED120 and a selection of EF mount lenses. Having looked at the options around the two I'd been looking at were the QHY168C and the ZWO ASI071MC Pro. For astro work they both appear relatively similar in terms of performance (same sensor).

I have been leaning toward the 168C with one of the Cyclops Optics Blade-C adapters as I've also been looking at using the camera for some long exposure terrestrial work in the region of 30-60 minute exposures (with some rather chunky ND filters of course). As far as I can tell the ASI071 is limited to 2000s (~33 mins) while the 168C can go to 3600s (60 mins). The 168 also claims zero amp glow regardless of the exposure time. Both of these would seem to provide a few more options in terms of flexibility provided they work as intended.

Did anyone have any feedback on either of these options (or a different recommendation)?

Thanks in advance!
Marcus