Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM
hotspur (Chris)

menu system on a Canon 5d what are they like?

I recently purchased a new copy of a Canon 24mm - 105 mm L series lens.
I see a few copies of the Canon 5d come up for sale,and now thinking this lens would be very handy on a full frame.

Is the 5d (not mkII or III version) have a menu system like 20d ? I am told its different to 40/50d and so on.The 20d is harder to use,Wondering in the 5d is the same?

Anyone regularly using a 5d? what is noise like? any good for astro? although If I get one,be mainly used on people/landscapes/animals.

Thanks for any thoughts,I see one in IIS for sale section and cashed up,be nice to go full frame
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Marcus10 (Marcus)

5d

Although I'm not really qualified to discuss astro, I've owned a 5D previously and now have a 5D Mk II and it is a fine camera. I use it mainly for photos of my family but it really has helped us capture some of the defining moments of our lives.

The menu system is straightforward and easy to operate. The picture quality for me is amazing and it will be the perfect partner to your lens. Again, people may have a different view in relation to AP but all I'll say is I've not once regretted splashing the cash on this - worth every cent.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I use a 5D MkII exclusively. Wonderful camera (more user friendly than the Nikons IMHO) . I found the menu no more challenging to understand than the 40D I used to use - in fact, it's a no-brainer. I can find everything I need easily (mirror lock up, LE noise reduction etc) very fast, and I have not once even opened the manual from the box.

You'll love it Chris. The full frames REALLY love the prime lenses - I find myself NOT using any of the adjustables much any more except the 28-135 IS USM, which is a great "action" lens (and not half bad at portraiture on the fly either).

Enjoy the new acquisition when you get it.

PS: no photos ever came in the post here?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:45 PM
leon

Chris I have always had Canon 5D's just love em, in fact I bought another today.

Extremely easy menu and a joy to use, excellent for astrophotography, with low single to noise ratio. ( I think I said that right)

You will like it very much indeed.

Leon