Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2011, 10:58 PM
vignesh1230 (Vignesh)

Would this method work for Astrophotography?

Hi guys. I was just wondering if this setup would work with my Celestron 130 EQ. I was thinking of a barlow - Eyepiece projection (with 10mm eyepiece) - and Nikon D3000. Would that suffice for a small scope like mine? I know the mount might be flimsy but i plan on modding it.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Ross G

Hi Vignesh,

You might have too much magnification with that setup.

Try it first in daylight on a terrestrial object and see what the shots look like.

I think you are better to start with just the Nikon camera body attached to the telescope with a T mount....no barlow and no eyepeiece.

Ross.
Old 26-06-2011, 10:06 AM
gregbradley

I agree with Ross. A basic of astrophotography is shorter focal length is easier to image than longer focal length. That is because all the tracking errors also get magnified as you go longer focal length. Adding a barlow increases focal length.

So longer focal length imaging requires a more expensive and precise mount to get good results. Anything less will be frustrating.

The best place to start is to mount your camera with a lens on a mount and do some Milky Way widefield shots 30 -45 second exposures at ISO1600 and the lowest F ratio your lens will give you. You'll get some nice shots that way and be encouraged to continue.

Greg.