Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 16-08-2019, 03:49 PM
leon

face book account when you dont have one

Hi guys, I just received a message on my phone telling me that my Face Book Account has been reported to be a fake.

How interesting is that because i don't have a Face Book Account and have never used that social media

They must think we are all bloody stupid, and then tell me to ring a certain number to confirm my account

Leon
Old 16-08-2019, 04:10 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

There's worse, Leon.
When you don't use Facebook or Twitter, but folks who know you by your online nickname, ask you if your name on Facebook or Twitter is you.
Old 16-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Wavytone

It’s worse though.

Remember the game “6 degrees of Kevin Bacon” ?

I have nothing to do with Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter or the rest of their ilk but they are trawling the net to make connections including my phone number and private email addresses.

To make matters worse you never know what companies you have signed up to for good reason are selling your data. For example if you order online from Woolies or Coles they sell your name, street address, email, phone number and purchasing history to others. Including FB, Twitter, linkedin and the rest

Then there are the likes of LinkedIn - and FB/twitter do this too - they mine your private address book and emails and match those against data they already have to find people you know. Which is how they extend their tentacles another degree.

Another aspect is that even when the data is only partial such as a surname, year of birth and postcode, that is sufficient to uniquely identify 99% of the population unless your surname is Smith, Brown, or a half dozen Chinese ones.

And lastly something many do not know is the direct marking companies have a collective database - it used to be “Brylars Australia Online” - with the personal details of most of the population including name, address, phone, email and much more. And it’s for sale, for a price. Even includes unlisted phone numbers.

Last edited by Wavytone; 16-08-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 17-08-2019, 09:40 AM
billdan (Bill)

You can't even trust governments to keep your private data safe, as revealed by this report on ABC news.

Where the Vic Govt' released data from 15 Million Myki travel cards for a science competition. Turns out Hackers and Stalkers can also work out where you live, and what your daily movements are.

Whats worse, is the Transport dept' does not even acknowledge its a breach of privacy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...users/11416616
Old 17-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I've recieved similar emails regarding bank accounts when I have no business with the said bank. A pretty obvious reminder of why you need to be cautious with regards to scams
Old 17-08-2019, 03:54 PM
leon

Thanks guys, and I thought if i didn't participate in any social media except here on IIS things would be good, obviously i am very wrong.

Leon
Old 17-08-2019, 05:40 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

My dad terminally ill not long before he passed away got stung by a telstra scammer He thought his internet account had been hacked and the scammer got him to give remote access , put a keystroke logger on his computer or was just watching and of course when he checked his bank accounts to make sure everthing was alright inadvertantly gave up all his passwords , 4 k got taken overnight,I found all the stuff in the program files some was just sitting on the desktop . Spent on motels phone credits and racetracks from memory in the US. He wanted to keep his laptop but i suggested we bin it as all the stuff i found was dead easy who knows what else was in there

He was so embarressed he wasnt going to chase it up with his bank ,well not until i got in his ear , he chanced on his local branch manager in the bank a few days later and told him what happened , the com bank manager got it looked into and the money was back in his account the next day .

I guess those who grew are per internet are very trusting of online technology , I consider myself to be pretty IT illiterate only i had done some remote stuff with automated pumping stations and wind deflectors had me a bit of an idea how things could switch over to one on one conversations .

'I dont have the internets " ,, gets these creeps to hang up pretty quick mostly I find
Old 17-08-2019, 07:12 PM
leon

Those people that sit around all day and want to steal everything that you own disgust me.
Pieces of xxxx you know what i mean.

Leon
Old 18-08-2019, 07:09 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Those people that sit around all day and want to steal everything that you own disgust me.
Pieces of xxxx you know what i mean.
I've no sympathy for such scum either, Leon.
Doesn't matter how destitute the poor saps doing the calls are.
They knowingly took a job with criminals to help that mob carry out crimes globally.