Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Milky Way from inner city, West Hobart

Camera Nikon D850
Lens: Zeiss Milvus 35mm at F2.8
Exposure: 40 seconds
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Milky Way Edit in LR and PS CC 2019 July 5 2019-Edit reduced file - Copy (Large).jpg)
189.4 KB81 views

Last edited by Decimus; 07-08-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Merckx (James)
Registered User

Merckx is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 25
Nice one Richard, especially from within the city!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
Nice one Richard, especially from within the city!
Thanks, James. DSLRs are great for wide views of the galaxy. My mount was not polar aligned and star trails were evident after 20 seconds. Still, a usable image!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:42 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,151
Light pollution doesn’t look at bad at all Richard
What do you think of the Milvus 35? I’ve been thinking about getting one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Light pollution doesnít look at bad at all Richard
What do you think of the Milvus 35? Iíve been thinking about getting one.
Hi Colin,
Thanks for the comment. The Milvus 35mm, F1.4 is a stunning lens (should see my daylight photos in Hobart). However, I think coma-type artefacts are visible at extreme edges until about F3.5. Some vignetting too. It even cost a bit more than my Zeiss Milvus 135mm F2 (bought them both at the same time). The Milvus 135 is ridiculously sharp and shows no artefacts (even at F2 you have to strain to see any aberrations).

It is hard to explain but, when you take pictures with these lenses they seem to deliver a brighter, punchier image (and I think tests show that they have better light transmission at any aperture than their competitors). reviews talk about the superior micro-contrast of the 35mm too.

Sorry, I'm raving now, but the silk-smooth focus make these lenses a joy to use; you won't go wrong with the 35mm Milvus.

Meanwhile, I am at a crossroads: will buy either the ZWO ASI 071MC Pro or the ZWO ASI 294 MC Pro OR the ZWO ASI 094 MC Pro (the full frame one you have). I will definitely go for an OSC camera to start with and have therefore ended up with these 3 on my shortlist. The 094 is expensive, though. What are your thoughts? For imaging, I will be using the WO GT 102 F6.9 refractor with the WO reducer/flattener 8 (.72)- weighs a tonne.

Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 AM
JA
.....

JA is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,385
Very Nice Richard.
It seems your city night sky may be a little darker than ours.

Best
JA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2019, 12:50 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,219
I agree Zeiss lenses do have something special about them. I have always found them worth the extra cost.

The image is very good but has too much magenta and blue in it. So it would be more natural looking correcting that magenta bias.

I don't know if you have Photoshop but I find Photoshop's auto colour tool works very well sometimes (other times it seems to make the colours too green).

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2019, 06:34 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I agree Zeiss lenses do have something special about them. I have always found them worth the extra cost.

The image is very good but has too much magenta and blue in it. So it would be more natural looking correcting that magenta bias.

I don't know if you have Photoshop but I find Photoshop's auto colour tool works very well sometimes (other times it seems to make the colours too green).

Greg.
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the advice (I like your Milky Way panorama on the Nightscapes page too!

I did process the image in PS CC 2019, but I must say, I have never used 'Autocolour', preferring to use the colour mixer with its separate channels. I'll give it a try!

What are your thoughts on the Fornax star tracker, by the way?

Cheers,
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,527
Is Hobart a city now?

A great result
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Hi Colin,
Thanks for the comment. The Milvus 35mm, F1.4 is a stunning lens (should see my daylight photos in Hobart). However, I think coma-type artefacts are visible at extreme edges until about F3.5. Some vignetting too. It even cost a bit more than my Zeiss Milvus 135mm F2 (bought them both at the same time). The Milvus 135 is ridiculously sharp and shows no artefacts (even at F2 you have to strain to see any aberrations).

It is hard to explain but, when you take pictures with these lenses they seem to deliver a brighter, punchier image (and I think tests show that they have better light transmission at any aperture than their competitors). reviews talk about the superior micro-contrast of the 35mm too.

Sorry, I'm raving now, but the silk-smooth focus make these lenses a joy to use; you won't go wrong with the 35mm Milvus.

Meanwhile, I am at a crossroads: will buy either the ZWO ASI 071MC Pro or the ZWO ASI 294 MC Pro OR the ZWO ASI 094 MC Pro (the full frame one you have). I will definitely go for an OSC camera to start with and have therefore ended up with these 3 on my shortlist. The 094 is expensive, though. What are your thoughts? For imaging, I will be using the WO GT 102 F6.9 refractor with the WO reducer/flattener 8 (.72)- weighs a tonne.

Cheers,
Richard
I get the feeling that there isn't many lens' below 50mm that don't some aberrations until stopped closer to F/4. The Otus 55mm being one of the very few exceptions.
At the moment I have a Milvus 50mm and an older 15mm F/2.8 and I've been thinking I need something to fill in the gap between those and have my eyes on the 35mm Milvus.

I do have an APO Sonnar 135mm F/2 and it's brilliant! I have found that there is a fair snap increase from going from F/2 to F/2.2 and it doesn't get a huge amount better from F/2.8.

If you're thinking about the ASI071 I would suggest going with the QHY variant however. I've heard of FAR too many stories of icing issues when cooling the ASI071 in particular, not so much on the 294 and only on the 094 when cooling too fast (which I've experienced). As long as you cool it over 10 minutes it cools without frosting.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the advice (I like your Milky Way panorama on the Nightscapes page too!

I did process the image in PS CC 2019, but I must say, I have never used 'Autocolour', preferring to use the colour mixer with its separate channels. I'll give it a try!

What are your thoughts on the Fornax star tracker, by the way?

Cheers,
Richard
Fornax Lightrack ii is quite good. It needs a 12 volt power supply. I found usb cables that have a built in 12 volt step up circuit in them cheaply on ebay. So I use a USB power pack and this cable to power it.

A few oddities about it to get used to. One is if the power is interrupted when you turn it back on it defaults to northern hemisphere and you have to reselect southern hemisphere. That wrecked a few images. But luckily I check my images routinely anyway to check focus, tracking etc is working. Also the USB power pack has blue lights in it and I could see that lighting up the foreground a bit in some subs! Masking tape should fix that.

Its quite accurate. Smartphone compass and an inclinometer is good enough to get tight stars 1 minute at 14mm. I have a Polemaster that fits it to get accurate polar alignment. I am not sure it will handle the Redcat 51 lens, perhaps with accurate polar alignment.

Polarie tracker is very good too. I've pimped mine up to include some accessories and a counterweight shaft. Lightrack though is the mount I am using at the moment. I recommend it overall. I am using the Star Adventurer wedge which is cheap but a tad lightweight but strong enough for lens imaging and it adjusts quite easily.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Is Hobart a city now?

A great result
Thanks, Peter. Yeah, it's embarrassing saying Hobart is a city.....As for the image above, I took Greg's advice, used 'Autocolour' and it worked well (bluer without the magenta).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Very Nice Richard.
It seems your city night sky may be a little darker than ours.

Best
JA
Thanks, JA. It was a moonless, clear night, but my scope wasn't polar aligned. Got over excited and just imaged as best I could. A fluke
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Fornax Lightrack ii is quite good. It needs a 12 volt power supply. I found usb cables that have a built in 12 volt step up circuit in them cheaply on ebay. So I use a USB power pack and this cable to power it.

A few oddities about it to get used to. One is if the power is interrupted when you turn it back on it defaults to northern hemisphere and you have to reselect southern hemisphere. That wrecked a few images. But luckily I check my images routinely anyway to check focus, tracking etc is working. Also the USB power pack has blue lights in it and I could see that lighting up the foreground a bit in some subs! Masking tape should fix that.

Its quite accurate. Smartphone compass and an inclinometer is good enough to get tight stars 1 minute at 14mm. I have a Polemaster that fits it to get accurate polar alignment. I am not sure it will handle the Redcat 51 lens, perhaps with accurate polar alignment.

Polarie tracker is very good too. I've pimped mine up to include some accessories and a counterweight shaft. Lightrack though is the mount I am using at the moment. I recommend it overall. I am using the Star Adventurer wedge which is cheap but a tad lightweight but strong enough for lens imaging and it adjusts quite easily.

Greg.
Thanks for the great info, Greg. I am tempted to get a tracker for nightscapes, although a dedicated Astro camera is first priority (still tyre kicking about it, despite having a shortlist of 3). Those FLI Proline cameras certainly deliver brilliant image quality....Wish I could afford one of those.

Your advice on the 'Autocolour' tool in PS was spot on. I have attached a tiny copy of the rejigged image. Much less magenta and more realistic colour. Thanks for that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Milky Way Edit in LR and PS 8 Aug 2019 Autocolour Version Aug 10 Compressed (Large).jpg)
189.1 KB15 views
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I get the feeling that there isn't many lens' below 50mm that don't some aberrations until stopped closer to F/4. The Otus 55mm being one of the very few exceptions.
At the moment I have a Milvus 50mm and an older 15mm F/2.8 and I've been thinking I need something to fill in the gap between those and have my eyes on the 35mm Milvus.

I do have an APO Sonnar 135mm F/2 and it's brilliant! I have found that there is a fair snap increase from going from F/2 to F/2.2 and it doesn't get a huge amount better from F/2.8.

If you're thinking about the ASI071 I would suggest going with the QHY variant however. I've heard of FAR too many stories of icing issues when cooling the ASI071 in particular, not so much on the 294 and only on the 094 when cooling too fast (which I've experienced). As long as you cool it over 10 minutes it cools without frosting.
Hi Colin
You are right about the 'snap' from F2 to F2..2; my Milvus 135 is exactly the same lens as the Apo, but just has added weather seals. A corker of a lens. You will not be disappointed with the Milvus 35. When you look at the images it produces, it's like someone has lifted an invisible veneer of mistiness from the scene, delivering an image of striking clarity and contrast.

Thanks for the advice on the 3 cameras. Not sure what the QHY version of the ASI 071 is, but I'll look into it. I do recall several people saying that QHY have quirky and sometimes unreliable software, though. The ASI 071 did have the problem you referred to, but is that in the latest model??

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13-08-2019, 09:26 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,559
Quite a spectacular framing that Richard and the colour balance in the second version is good

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Quite a spectacular framing that Richard and the colour balance in the second version is good

Mike
Thanks, Michael.

Hope to graduate to some deep sky imaging soon, once I have made up my very confused mind about which camera to buy So many conflicting opinions on cameras (including OSC ones).
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14-08-2019, 02:15 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 17,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Thanks, Peter. Yeah, it's embarrassing saying Hobart is a city.....As for the image above, I took Greg's advice, used 'Autocolour' and it worked well (bluer without the magenta).
I wish I had a city sky like that. Beautiful view.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Decimus's Avatar
Decimus (Richard)
Registered User

Decimus is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hobart TAS
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I wish I had a city sky like that. Beautiful view.
This was a good night, despite the light pollution, Marc. Still, I should not complain!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement