Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-09-2023, 02:35 AM
MarcusG

Full Spectrum Mod Question

Greetings all,

I've had a Canon EOS M50 modified for full spectrum shooting, however I'm getting some problems with ghosting around point light sources. I've been using it with a drop in filter adapter, and so my first thought was that this filters, and possibly the optics not handling the near-IR wavelengths may be the problem, however having tried a hot mirror filter, as well as completely removing the filter from adapter the ghosting still persists. I can only imagine it is a result of internal reflections in the new clear filter that has been installed on the sensor as part of the modifications? Has anyone else come across this with their own modified cameras, or have any recommendations as to what brand filter is the best bet to avoid such artifacts? I got the modification done in Melbourne, I've queried them on the issue as well but I figured the team here might have a bit more experience given the point light source issue.

I've attached some slightly agricultural test shots of Jupiter from this evening to demonstrate with some annotation for the setup. The two from the modified camera both show a clear halo around the planet which isn't there on the unmodified camera. Photos are taken with the same lens for consistency too.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Halo Test.jpg)
173.4 KB24 views
Old 26-09-2023, 07:40 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

The AstroHutech filters are great, I personally use the HEUIB-ll filter on my full spectrum mod, and its wonderfull.