Old 13-04-2012, 04:09 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Pricing one of your good images-How to?

Hello.

I have been going along this corridor of D/SLR photography for a few years now,and its a long hard learning curve-I now know enough to know I do not know very much at all.But picked up some good helpful advice from helpful members on this forum.

I have applied much of that,for my use in the field of bird photography,and occasionally have some sort of reasonable result,I spend a bit of time in remote locations doing odd jobs for land owners and always felt it could lead to some good raptor images.

A few months ago I managed to capture two good images of a Brown Goshawk in flight-I knew I could not do to much better when I viewed them in the field,so was happy when I went home.I posted these images on a couple of forums.

One chap has requested a price on a 18 inch 3 by 2 aspect print of the hawk,he wants to get it framed a hung up in his business.I know I worked hard for that image,using maunal and changing settings while BIF and keeping a beed on its head was quite a task.

But how do you price one frame?which you know you have worked very hard for,you know you have done everything to the best possible result of your ability and pushed your gear to its maximum.

I have done a few 'paid' photography jobs,usually boring stuff-girls at formals,cattle trucks and horses for sale-the usual sort of jobs that are not
too taxing,and the 'payment' not too flash.But a raptor in the wild that someone wants a 18 inch quality image of,is surely in a different league?

Maybe there is a rule of thumb,that H,Mike and Barry work on.I did have a some thought-but thought I'd ask here first,and see what discussion we can get going-sooner or later many people here with these modern day cameras are going to get a cracker image,and be asked for a high res print-but how to price it-without under pricing or over pricing it??

Here is the hawk in flight that appears to be 'in demand',I'll use some masking and slightly blur the back ground

cheers Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (9642 HAWK LOW RES.jpg)
150.0 KB77 views
Old 13-04-2012, 05:22 PM
leon

Chris, firstly a super shot mate, so crisp and clean, magic, I can understand why some one would like to hang it in the pool room.
However, the price for your work, well i have considered that aspect as well when some one wanted to buy one of mine.
My wife used to say to me that i was mad, as i used to just give them away, and felt good that my work was hanging on someone else's wall.
It is difficult to put a price on ones work, and depends if you really want to make some serious money from your photos.
Or would you be just as happy with the knowledge that your work is that good that someone else just has to have it.

Hard one mate, other than the cost of materials how do you put a price on what you love to do.

Leon
Old 13-04-2012, 08:07 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Can't help with the pricing, but if someone has seen that image as it is shown there and asked for a print of it, I reckon they'd be annoyed if you went and edited by blurring backgrounds or whatever other mucking around you're planning to do. If they've asked for you to do that, obviously that's fine. But if they expect to get a big print of that photo above and you give them something else, that's not good business no matter what the price. So I'd get their ok first before editing, show them proofs or something.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:27 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Can't help with the pricing, but if someone has seen that image as it is shown there and asked for a print of it, I reckon they'd be annoyed if you went and edited by blurring backgrounds or whatever other mucking around you're planning to do. If they've asked for you to do that, obviously that's fine. But if they expect to get a big print of that photo above and you give them something else, that's not good business no matter what the price. So I'd get their ok first before editing, show them proofs or something.
The customer requested the slight blurring of the back ground,not my idea-their paying for the image,so they can have it edited how they wish.