Old 29-11-2012, 06:10 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Canon 5D mk1 vs newer aps-c for landscapes

Have been offered an orig 5D, would the larger sensor be an advantage for landscapes & night landscapes with slightly increased noise or woulda be better getting one of the newer aps-c cameras with a sensor that will produce less noise but give me less fov?
Any thoughts appreciated
Old 29-11-2012, 07:00 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Do you have the lenses to suit a full frame camera and take advantage of the larger field of view? Think about the total cost of the package you want to end up with. You're less likely to upgrade lenses vs a body, so don't buy lenses to just suit a smaller chip now if you plan on going full frame when you next upgrade your body.

It's not just noise, but also dynamic range that has improved in newer generation sensors.

Just my 2 cents worth,

DT
Old 29-11-2012, 08:51 AM
rogerg (Roger)

As DT says you need to consider all the aspects other than APC vs full frame, I think more so than that choice. APC isn't necessarily a disadvantage in its self, and considering the age difference the comparison is very hard to make without stats like noise, bit depth, and more mundane aspects such as metering, etc.
Old 29-11-2012, 10:07 AM
naskies (Dave)

A few other considerations:

* LiveView: I didn't miss it when I didn't have it on my 20D, but now that I have it on my 5DmkII I find it indispensable. Focusing on stars at night is much, much easier.

* Depth of field: given the same composition (e.g. 50 mm on crop vs 80 mm on full-frame with the same subject distance), the full-frame camera will have 1 1/3 stops less depth of field. For instance, f/1.4 on crop gives you the same DoF as f/2.2 on full-frame.

* Lens choices: since crop cameras only use the centre (best) part of the lens, it's easier to get cheaper/better lenses. If money isn't a consideration, then ultra wide angle lenses such as the Canon 14 mm or Nikon 14-24 are fantastic for full-frame.

* Telescopes: scopes and flatteners that can properly illuminate a full-frame chip are more expensive than ones that work for a smaller APS-C chip.
Old 29-11-2012, 11:28 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I won't be using the cam on scopes, just for widefield with a lens

I thought larger sensor had the greater dof, eg f2.8 on FF you needed f2.0 on ApS & f1.4 on a smaller sensor camera
Old 29-11-2012, 11:42 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

FF definitely has shallower depth of field - better for portraits with a blurred background.

DT
Old 29-11-2012, 12:23 PM
naskies (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
I thought larger sensor had the greater dof, eg f2.8 on FF you needed f2.0 on ApS & f1.4 on a smaller sensor camera
The large f number (smaller aperture) of the full-frame camera provides greater depth of field to compensate for its inherently smaller depth of field. Your f numbers are in the right direction, though.

This is why little handy cams and phone cameras don't give you a super blurry background with full body portraits even though they're often shooting at f/2.

Anyway, as for your original question - I personally wouldn't buy a DSLR now that doesn't have LiveView. It's just too useful for me. I recently passed on a 5D Classic for $650 - but just received a 5DmkII for $1050 (to complement my existing 5DmkII).
Old 29-11-2012, 04:44 PM
gregbradley

Which APS sensors have better noise and dynamic range than 5D?

I am not sure that is correct. I could be wrong.

Basically astro images posted aroundn the place would show the 5D as one of the best ever.

It has larger pixels and larger pixels generally means better noise performance and sensitivity. APS would have much smaller pixels.

Greg.
Old 29-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Buy it, along with the 85mm f/1.8 USM.

Start taking head and shoulder portraits at f/1.8-f/4 and fall in love with photography all over again.

A magical combination, if ever one existed.

A little like the STL/FSQ marriage.

H
Old 29-11-2012, 06:36 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Greg I'm with you, I thought the 5d sensor although old, still produced good quality img'd with its large pixels
Old 29-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Daniel,

It still takes just a beautiful image today, as it did the day it was released.

I still use mine for weddings.

H
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

For me it's a Canon 5D MkII with an f/1.2 Nifty 50... gives me dream images!

The lens cost a good bit, but worth it! I still have 2 x USM f/1.4 50's, and they are great too, but...
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
FF definitely has shallower depth of field - better for portraits with a blurred background.

DT
This is not completely true: read here from Wikipedia

Quote:
Same focal length for both formats
Many small-format digital SLR camera systems allow using many of the same lenses on both full-frame and “cropped format” cameras. If, for the same focal length setting, the subject distance is adjusted to provide the same field of view at the subject, at the same f-number and final-image size, the smaller format has greater DOF, as with the “same picture” comparison above. If pictures are taken from the same distance using the same f-number, same focal length, and the final images are the same size, the smaller format has less DOF. If pictures taken from the same subject distance using the same focal length, are given the same enlargement, both final images will have the same DOF. The pictures from the two formats will differ because of the different angles of view. If the larger format is cropped to the captured area of the smaller format, the final images will have the same angle of view, have been given the same enlargement, and have the same DOF.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
gregbradley

It is true. Its physics.
APS sensors have the crop factor (often 1.5 or 1.6). To get a blurred background with a crop camera you would need to shoot 1.6X faster glass ie F1.4 instead of something like F1.8 on full frame.

Take different cameras - micro 4/3rds, APSC and full frame at same focal length. Focus on an object close to camera to blur background. Full frame image will show the most blurred background.

Its one of its biggest appeals. A lovely blurred background is a truly magical photographic effect. Many photographers go to great lengths to obtain it with careful selection of lenses and fast f ratio (at greater cost).

Larger sensor also captures more light due to larger surface area.

Greg.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The full frame makes a big difference for nightscapes. Put on a Samyang 14mm! Lovely!

Like Dave, I really love live view. Not sure if the 5D has it?

The 7D is a fantastic crop camera - pretty much has everything the 5D Mk 2 does, but without the full frame. It's a tough choice.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

5D didn't have Live View.

I still love, love, love the quality of its output. It's just different to the Mark II and Mark III. I love them all, but, the original will have a special place for me.

H
Old 03-12-2012, 01:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Never use Live View on the inbuilt screen, but sure use it ALL the time when attached to the monitor
Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Thanks for the replies