Old 26-08-2011, 07:23 PM
hotspur (Chris)

'Rear Sync' and EOS canon-making it work???

Had a read in a camera book,about 'rear sync'-firing the flash at the very last part of an exposure.

I had a play around in the 450D and 50D menus when I had the EX 430 flash on,But could not find anything much or get much working,I found a flash menu,
and played around,I could see '1st curtian' in menu,but I could not access it.Both menus are the same,and a basically am at a dead end.I also had issues with body recognising I had the flash on and switched on (maybe this flash is a 'dud')

I could vary the exp comp of flash,But I want to get this 'Rear sync' thing happening-may be its only a Nikon thing,the book covers both canon and nikon,and is quite good and helpful.But I am stumped with this.

Any ideas EOS users???? thanks-Chris
Old 26-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

Here are screen captures of how to set 2nd curtain sync for my 40D and 7D. You do this via the camera menu as shown in the attachments.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2nd Curtain Sync.jpg)
114.7 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (2nd Curtain Sync 7D.jpg)
132.8 KB17 views
Old 26-08-2011, 07:52 PM
koputai (Jason)

It should definitely be in there Chris, it'll be under something like 'Shutter sync' and Canon call it '2nd curtain'. For most things with movement it's great.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:40 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re 2n curtian.

Thanks Dennis and Jason.

I did find those pages Dennis in the manual.But still having issues
accessing certain parts of the menu function,they are dimmed out
(the curtian bit),I think there was a little something on your pages
about setting the EX flash,so I had a quick play with it-but still no go.

I will read it all again tomorrow sometime,when fresh,But thanks for help.

Chris
Old 26-08-2011, 09:42 PM
koputai (Jason)

Maybe it depends on the mode your camera is in. Try setting the mode wheel to M, Av, or Tv.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:49 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Maybe it depends on the mode your camera is in. Try setting the mode wheel to M, Av, or Tv.

Cheers,
Jason.

Was in manual when attempting to get it running.I'll go through this EX 430manual there is mention of it there,but something about bulb setting?

What I'm wanting is to take a regular shot with flash,but to have the flash fire towards the very end of the exposure,not at the very beggining.

I am thinking the issue could be solved in EX flash setting.

Cheers Chris
Old 27-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

On my 40D and 7D bodies, this Function works with either the internal flash (built-in pop-up flash) or an external flash such as the 580 or 430 EX II units.

If I try to access the function without my 580 in the hot shoe, I get an error message telling me that there is no external flash fitted.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-08-2011, 11:49 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

The manual mentions if shutter speed set to faster than 1/30s it will default to 1st curtain sync. Try setting shutter speed slower? Not sure, just a thought.
Old 27-08-2011, 11:52 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re flash

Hi Dennis

I get that message,when I press some of the flash menu settings too,but when the flash is attached.

When I can get into a menu,that will allow me to set some functions,The curtian adjust is dimmed out,May be this rear sync only works with more advanced flashes like the EX 580.Not sure-But I have tried and read all instructions.Will just have to give it a miss,or send H a PM and see if he might know.

Cheers Chris
Old 27-08-2011, 02:07 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Chris, aside from what's been said above, if you set something on the flash, it overrides what you've set on the camera menu. So I'd be setting the 2nd curtain sync on the flash. It is certainly possible with your camera and flash combo, so it must be some setting you have there overriding things?
Old 27-08-2011, 02:28 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Chris, aside from what's been said above, if you set something on the flash, it overrides what you've set on the camera menu. So I'd be setting the 2nd curtain sync on the flash. It is certainly possible with your camera and flash combo, so it must be some setting you have there overriding things?

Ok,thanks Troy-I will have a good look at that flash,and fiddle around with the settings on it.It does appear something is not right there.

Cheers Chris
Old 27-08-2011, 05:31 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post

OK,thanks Troy-yes there is a tab on the flash to have switched on,it does appear its a feature best used for lower speeds-'arty' sort of stuff.Which is really not going to be much use for my general use.

I had a fiddle-and got into 'Custom functions' on the flash,the icon is on screen and the darn display of info keeps flashing,any ideas how to turn it off its rather annoying.

Thanks,Chris
Old 27-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
I had a fiddle-and got into 'Custom functions' on the flash,the icon is on screen and the darn display of info keeps flashing,any ideas how to turn it off its rather annoying.
Thanks,Chris
Hi Chris

Are you saying the entire LCD info panel at the rear of your 430 EX is flashing on/off?

Does the 430 EX II have the wide panel and the white bounce panel that slide in and out?

If so, my 580 EX II does the same when the wide panel has been pulled out for bounce flash. If you push the wide panel back in all the way, the flashing should stop.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 28-08-2011, 06:10 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re flaashing

Yes,Dennis

I have got a 'c'fn' icon on the screen,never had it showing before,and the whole thing flashes on/off.when I press set,as if changing the flash out put
then only the flash out put no flashes,when I press set to set thet new out
put setting all the info on screen flashes again.this is a EX 430 Dennis,not a Mk 2 model,I find the buttons difficult to use-very tiny,I imagine EX 580 better.Eventually I will get a 580,and use this one as a slave.

It appears I need to get rid of the Custom function icon.And not to fiddle.

I can get good usage out of flash,for my uses by changing out puts,and tilting head.Was trying to get a bit more use out of it,but it appears those aplications
are not of a great deal of use to my requirements.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:49 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

The cfn icon simply means you have set a custom function has been set (or 2nd curtain sync). It's not a problem, and this and flashing LCD ate explained in your manual.