Old 03-08-2020, 02:20 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

wide angle full frame recommendations

Been a long time out of the astro arena (living in the city) but looking to get back in with some wide angle work now that I'm living further out.

What's the going recommendation on lenses for a full-frame Canon EOS Ra? Looking around the $1k - $1.5k mark.

Thx
Old 03-08-2020, 02:35 PM
JA

Hi Carl,

The Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art lens is probably the best as a mid-wide, the 50mm f1.4 Art and 35mm f1.4 Art lenses are also excellent. SOme Canon astro shooters love the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 with a Nikon/Canon adaptor (Tony Hallas believe it or not). THere is only one Canon lens that comes close to the Sigma 40mm f1.4 on paper, it is the 35mm f1.4 L II USM but it cost a motza, more than double the Sigma. I have also found the Samyang 14mm f2.8 UMC to be excellent and on par-ish with the Nikon 14-24 for low coma. Have a good look at the lens tip website for reviews with optical tests. If 40mm is wide enough - the SIgma is a killer.
If you want just one lens for a Canon FF, that should be it, next choice perhaps the sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Of course that advice holds for A Canon EOS FF mount, getting these lenses in the Canon RF mount - one would need to check availability TBA ??? check for further updates .....
https://petapixel.com/2020/05/12/sig...lenses-report/

or less elegantly use an adaptor (check with Canon) .....
https://www.canon-europe.com/mount-adapters-ef-eos-r/

For interest here is a related discussion I started on the same issue a while ago.....
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=177331
Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 03-08-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:10 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Thanks for this JA. Lots for me to look into.

I'm planning on starting with some MW style shoots, so 40mm wouldn't be wide enough. Looking around 14 - 24mm. Might take a closer look at the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 UMC
Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Carl, I’ve experimented with the Sammy 14mm (a mate has one) and it’s horrible. They have an long standing issue with QC, so his may be duff. Make sure if you get one you can return it once you’ve tried it

Conversely, the Sammy 12mm I have for Fujifilm X is a ripper! A good dose of coma in the corners, but for what it swallows it’s pretty decent. And cheap.

What I’d suggest is consider what else you’ll use it for. Going so wide, once you’ve done the MW once, that’s your lot. A 40mm Sigma like JA recommended is a lot more versatile.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:53 AM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Thanks Camelopardalis. I have read about the quality control issues. Apparently the Samyang XP is slightly more reputable.

Good point about the versatility too. Will keep that in mind as I research and think more about this.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

You can certainly do untracked Milky Way nightscape imaging with a 35mm (or even 50mm) lens these days - especially with fast f-ratios like f1.4 & cameras that allow 6400 or even 10000 ISO to be usable.
Stacking programs like Sequator allow for stacking of untracked images. It's more work stitching all the panels together but when done right the results are very impressive.

Nothing wrong with the Samyang 14mm of course (as long as you get a good copy) - I have one & have been very happy with it but I would love a fast 35mm Sigma Art. 😉
Old 04-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If memory serves there is two versions of the Samyang 14mm F/2.8 with the V2 having a fair increase off axis. QC didn’t change though.

The 14mm F/2.4 is a fair bit better overall compared to the F/2.8 version. I have an older Zeiss 15mm F/2.8 that beats the Samyang 14mm versions but you are paying a premium for that.

Then there is the Sigma Art 14mm which wide open is a pretty good performer too, better than the Samyang and comparable with the Zeiss.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:01 PM
gregbradley

Widefield lens for Canon:

1. EF, no RF lenses yet that are good that I am aware of. The only lenses canon makes that are half decent for nightscapes are the 24-70 F2.8ii and the 35mm F1.4 ii. That's it.

2. Samyang: 14 2.8XP, 20 1.8, 24 1.4. I think the 35 1.4 might be fine too.

3. Sigma: Hmm Art lenses, kind of great, kind of crap, big heavy, the 35 1.4 is unreliable I've had 2 and they are prone to failure (both failed). Also a lot of coma in the corners wide open. They are also expensive.
Sigma Art 14 1.8 is the best 14mm lens out there at the moment.
Art 28 1.4 I read is superb. 40mm 1.4 is superb 105 1.4 I super superb. That's it. I have seen some nice 20 1.4 and 50 1.4 images but they don't review too well for coma.

4. Tamron: There 35m 1.4 is apparently the best 35mm out there. Plus its cheaper than the Sigma Art.

That's pretty much the current scene with regards to nightscape lenses.

Art 14 1.8 and Art 28 1.8 (getting a bit narrow and will start to need mosaics to fit everything in) would make a good pair. 105 1.4 for widefield deep sky objects with the EOS Ra and a nice tracking mount would be a hot combo and one I intend to do at some point. That lens though is $2100.

The Art 40mm is a super lens but huge, heavy and expensive. 40mm means mosaics only.

Greg.