Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Meteorites

Hi,
A few weeks ago I and my girlfriend went to the museum, why? Because they have some meteorites there. It was an open day and lot of people.

This is an alternative to buy expensive equipment as telescopes to get a glimpse of what's out there.

Better to get closer to the objects?

I have some simple photos from our visit at the museum here:

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...seet-2019.html

Any of you who have tried to found meteorites out in the nature ?

/Lars
Old 22-09-2019, 12:29 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Can you imagine anything making a footprint in solid Iron,...... not...... even an excavator could not make an imprint in solit Iron let alone a mammal no matter how big..... just coincidence

I have a couple the round one lower left is a tektite

The scale is inches not cm

Large one is 1.5 Kilo

If you look close at the RH one it is indented showing it broke away from a larger one

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dscn0510.jpg)
84.3 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (DSCN0514.jpg)
203.9 KB35 views
Old 22-09-2019, 12:35 AM
Bobbyoutback

Found a few

Hi Lars ,
Iv'e found some small ones & have sent the cut offs parts for confirmation that they are meteorites , below is one I found back in 2007 cut to show the interior .

They are harder to find then gold !

Bobby .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (005_zps43542078 (2).jpg)
197.5 KB52 views
Old 22-09-2019, 12:36 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Problem is there are sooooo many fakes, the Science Museum now charge to say real or not, mine are thanks to my friend Patrick Moore

If it has a regular shape, square, rectangle, triangle it is not

https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-the-...Be-a-Meteorite
Old 22-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi Bobby and Jeremy,
Thanks for the information, I put the link on my homepage for others to see.

Exiting that you both have found meteorites, 1.5 kg sounds as a heavy one to me.

In the most Northern Sweden I know there are people hunting meteorites. Where I live in the lower half, never heard anybody found something.

/Lars
Old 22-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrofriend View Post
Hi Bobby and Jeremy,
Thanks for the information, I put the link on my homepage for others to see.

Exiting that you both have found meteorites, 1.5 kg sounds as a heavy one to me.

In the most Northern Sweden I know there are people hunting meteorites. Where I live in the lower half, never heard anybody found something.

/Lars
Not found, given to me by Patrick Moore a friend of me and my sons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore

My sons with uninvited guest
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Patrick with Simon T A Rundle of STAR Distribution on right his brother Stephen left.jpg)
70.9 KB24 views
Old 23-09-2019, 12:22 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

haven't found any but have a bunch in my collection. I do have an assortment of concretions that people sometimes claim to be meteorites to scam unsuspecting buyers. if you buy then do so from a valid source, not "some bloke in india". it also helps if you learn a bit so you can do some self testing on the piece and be confident its real. very difficult with stony meteorites. fairly impossible with claimed pieces of mars/moon. look online there are sites online that show meteorites as well as "meteowrongs" that show the similarities and differences of surface marks. identification by visual is only partly possible and just a single datapoint in regards to identification especially if you want to attribute it to a specfic meteor. i'm hoping one day to get my collection out and organised and maybe have a world map and lay them out by location and impact object. its an interesting area to me, not just the meteorites themselves but the secondary specimens created from an impact like glasses and tectites.
Old 23-09-2019, 04:04 PM
Bobbyoutback

Well said Sil :

The more you study & handle different types of meteorites the better you get at finding the real thing , I'm now at a stage that i can visually recognise most meteorites from meteoritewrongs in the field before doing more tests .

As most are magnetic I use a rare earth magnet stuck on the end of a golf club , saves bending down when hunting .

A great book to acquire but hard to find is Rocks from Space second edition by O. Richard Norton .

Australia has laws in place that do not allow hunting & ownership in many states , NSW is OK with ownership , finding & selling on but only within Australia .

Top Aussie meteorite site :
http://www.meteorites.com.au/home.html

Have Fun
Bobby .
Old 23-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
haven't found any but have a bunch in my collection. I do have an assortment of concretions that people sometimes claim to be meteorites to scam unsuspecting buyers. if you buy then do so from a valid source, not "some bloke in india". it also helps if you learn a bit so you can do some self testing on the piece and be confident its real. very difficult with stony meteorites. fairly impossible with claimed pieces of mars/moon. look online there are sites online that show meteorites as well as "meteowrongs" that show the similarities and differences of surface marks. identification by visual is only partly possible and just a single datapoint in regards to identification especially if you want to attribute it to a specfic meteor. i'm hoping one day to get my collection out and organised and maybe have a world map and lay them out by location and impact object. its an interesting area to me, not just the meteorites themselves but the secondary specimens created from an impact like glasses and tectites.

Like the tektite in my image bottom left, not a meteorite but ejecta