Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 21-09-2018, 05:02 PM
astro1965 (Nick)

Importing a scope??????

Hi all ,thinking of importing a scope from teleskop express in Germany and the cost would be around the $700 AUD mark.I would like to know if anyone has recently (after 1/7/2018) imported any scope from overseas and if you ended up paying any import duties(G.S.T) and if so was it a lot or the scope got through with no problems?Any info would be appreciated,thanks Nick.
Old 21-09-2018, 06:42 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

I haven't imported any scope but I'm buying a lot from overseas (even after 1/7/2018). So I had cases:
1) Merchant charges GST at the moment of purchase (eBay and some other big sellers).
2) Merchant doesn't charges GST at the moment of purchase (e.g. B&H). Purchased binoculars and camera lenses ($500 - $900 USD price). No issues at the custom etc at all. Nobody asked for anything.

GST is standard 10%. So if the price is $700 AUD then in the worst case if they caught you then you have to pay $70 for GST max.
Old 21-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Tom359 (Tom)

Import duties used to kick in based on $ value... last time I spent over $1000 I got slugged (was a while ago though). Can't remember if it is different to GST or not.
Old 21-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Paul Haese

I had to pay some import recently and GST but the OTA I bought cost significantly more. All need do is contact customs and ask them.
Old 21-09-2018, 07:39 PM
glend (Glen)

If your importing from Teleskop-Express they offer UPS Saver shipping, take it, it's worth it as they (UPS) handle all the inbound clearance process. You will get a call or email from them asking for the clearance payment (GST plus admin fee), you can pay via VISA over the phone, that releases the scope and it comes straight to you. Easy.
Old 26-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Wavytone

Yes have imported stuff post 1/07/2018.

1. Merchant does not charge GST, and it came through just fine via Australia Post locally (typically low cost parcel under $500). We've done this many times which suggests the Federal governments "law" is quite simply broken as the government has no authority over foreign merchants and no ability to enforce it.

2. The couriers (UPS and FEDEX) handle the GST and you must pay online before they will deliver the item to you. When the item was several thousand $$$ they did this. When the item was under $1500 they didn't and I can't blame them as the paperwork isn't worth someones time to fill out for the customs declaration.

This may, or may not happen; it doesn't appear to be consistent.