Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 25-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Solar AR/ filaments/ proms in Ha 25 Aug 2018

The AR 719 continues to excite!!
A prominent long filament visible in the red wing and a very large wispy prom visible between a "spike" and yesterdays bright prom.
Well worth viewing.
(80Gb of data being collected ....and processed....)
Old 25-08-2018, 06:28 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

Hi Ken,
Well, from Darwin, I can see AR2719, but cannot pick out any Ha details at all.
It's been like this now for the last couple of months or so, and I have been starting to have some doubts about the tuning of the Lunt LS60THa/PT/B1200C.
I normally start tuning by first unscrewing the tune knob to equalise the pressure. Usually about 1 to 1 1/2 turns inwards sees some detail starting to appear on the surface, followed by proms and filaments (if any are present). But not at the moment, not even any surface details.
As the tune knob is screwed in, it does get harder to turn, so the cylinder is holding pressure.
We have had a persistent thin upper level cloud layer during the day, and it is present before sunrise, so I assume it does not dissipate overnight.
We also have a fair bit of smoke from dry season fires, so I am hoping the cloud and smoke are the cause of the poor detail.
I am pleased to see your reports, because I then know there is something up there to be seen.
Am just looking forward to being able to see it as well.
cheers Phil
Old 25-08-2018, 07:50 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thanks for the info Ken, but too cloudy here. Phil, check to see if your blue glass filter in the blocking filter hasn't clouded over. I don't see much detail in my two Lunt Ha scopes until the tuner is nearly screwed in all the way.
Ivan
Old 26-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Phil,
As Gus suggests check out the blocking filter ITF (the one at the front of diagonal, to see if it shows deterioration.....)
Practise, practise....
I find around 10am is the best (steady seeing but poor seeing, if you know what I mean) different tuning gives different results (see my images)
The filament more obvious towards the red wing.
I'd also be lost without the electronic focus motor - even on low speed setting just the briefest touch of the button makes a hellava difference.
If we can help further just shout out.
Old 26-08-2018, 11:12 AM
PhilTas (Phil)

Thanks Ken and Gus,

Your assistance is appreciated.

I did check the blocking filter window a few weeks back. Have attached a photo taken this morning. The window appears clean, apart from a little dust.

I have seen the images from a previous IIS post, and other forums, and remember what the clouded window looks like. If I recall, the cleaning method (was it acetone?), seemed a bit harsh. But I don't think mine shows any cloudiness at all.

After checking spaceweather.com yesterday,I think I was seeing AR2720, not 2719.

Will keep trying.

cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B1200_1 resized.jpg)
58.6 KB7 views
Old 26-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Phil,
Looks OK.
The suggested cleaning method was to use CLR......