Old 24-02-2011, 08:01 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

Recommendation on Imaging setup

i am looking at buying a Imaging scope and im wondering what your thoughts are on the following setup:

Celestron C11 SCT
Losmandy G11 G Mount
Dovetail to go on the G11
Enough Counter Weights for scope and imaging equipment.
Bobs Knobs for mirrors
A Laser Collimator
Dew/Light Shield
Imaging Source DMK21 camera
Orion Flip Mirror
Astronomik L-RGB Set (1.25") Type 2c filters
Old 24-02-2011, 08:07 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

what are you guiding with?
Old 24-02-2011, 08:21 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

i will be starting with planetary imaging but i will probably get an orion starshoot autoguider.
Old 25-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

I'm not a fan of SCT scopes for general imaging, but if you want to go that way it might be worthwhile to considered Hyperstar and the types of camera that are best suited to that configuration.
"starting with planetary" is very different from "100% planetary"
James
Old 26-02-2011, 01:08 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

That above scope with a hyperstar would be great for fast, widefield imaging, but no good for planetary unless you used it in its native F ratio/FL or longer. Also, best to use an OSC as your camera as this will save weight on the front of the scope (no filter wheels etc)...good choice would be one of the Atik or Starlight Express cameras.
Old 26-02-2011, 06:26 AM
TheDecepticon

Have a look at the QHY range of cameras, too.
Old 27-02-2011, 09:44 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Hi Mark,

What is your experience with Astronomy/Astrophotography? This may give people a better idea of what to recommend.

The longer the focal length, the harder and more critical the guiding is.

Things like Hyperstar are more for people for advance optical skills. Taking a corrector off an SCT and replacing the secondary is not to be taken lightly.
Old 27-02-2011, 10:57 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Hi Mark,

What is your experience with Astronomy/Astrophotography? This may give people a better idea of what to recommend.

The longer the focal length, the harder and more critical the guiding is.

Things like Hyperstar are more for people for advance optical skills. Taking a corrector off an SCT and replacing the secondary is not to be taken lightly.
Actually, no. As long as you have a hyperstar compatible scope (which the C11 should be), it's relatively easy to install a hyperstar lens. The secondaries of the SCT's just screw out...replacing them is just as easy as the secondary mirrors are indexed and won't go in any way, other than the way they were fitted as. However, converting a scope to hyperstar compatibility is something else. That requires removal of the corrector plate and is quite a bit more delicate procedure, but with careful removal it can be done.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:10 AM
icytailmark (Mark)

sorry what is hyperstar? Also i have never done imaging before im getting this setup so i wont have to upgrade for a long time. I dont mind learning the hard way. The reason why i picked a SCT is that i like to observe too and i have been told that a newt on eq mount is very difficult when it comes to observing. Another reason why i like the SCTs more is that they are more compact. I found newt are very hard to transport they take up so much room in the car.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:16 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Go here....Hyperstar

It's a lens system which replaces the secondary mirror of your SCT and converts its F ratio from f10 down to as low as f1.8. Makes imaging a whole lot faster.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:57 AM
icytailmark (Mark)

How much is Hyperstar? Where can i buy it? Do i need it for planetary imaging? Im already going over $10 000 my pockets are getting empty.
Old 27-02-2011, 12:44 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Hyperstar is for DSO's only....no good for planets or Moon...it's a widefield imaging system. You buy it at the link I sent to you previously. A hyperstar lens for the C11 (depending on if it's just an ordinary C11 or an EdgeHD system) will cost between $795 and $845 US.
Old 27-02-2011, 03:39 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

I like my SCT

Hi Mark. I think your choice is pretty good. I have a Meade 10" SCT like the one you are looking at. I use it to image planets and deep space, but like you want to be able to have a simple setup when I just want to look at things. Thier is NO perfect scope, only the one that best suits your needs. You will get great images of planets with as simple as a Webcam. We have alot of very good images from very dedicated members on this site. However somtimes new people want to get a good scope that allows them to do as many things as they can with good results, Not perfect results. I think you are on the right track, but others may not agree. I would suggest you get on Google and do a search for images taken with the scope you are looking at. I think then you will be able to see what you can get with this setup (you will be happy). I have seen people go down the more dedicated imaging line to only get very frustrated with using the telescope and giving it all away. SCT Goto telescopes are great funfo finding things and learning the sky as well as pretty good imaging platforms as well...

I hope my opinion is a help to you and others.

Seeing Stars
Mardy
Old 27-02-2011, 03:58 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

cheers martin. I have certainly done my research its alot of money to spend on this telescope and i have seen some very nice images taken using the same setup that im going to get. I think i will be very happy with the scope. I dont expect to make fantastic images but hopefully i can take some really nice images to be proud of.
Old 27-02-2011, 04:07 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by icytailmark View Post
cheers martin. I have certainly done my research its alot of money to spend on this telescope and i have seen some very nice images taken using the same setup that im going to get. I think i will be very happy with the scope. I dont expect to make fantastic images but hopefully i can take some really nice images to be proud of.
Whilst a good scope and mount are very important in getting good images, much of the magic comes in the processing. If you saw half of these images when they come straight out of the scope and are roughly processed then saved, you wouldn't even bother with them

It's the digital jiggery pokery that save them from being rather hokey
Old 27-02-2011, 04:16 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by icytailmark View Post
Mark,

before you spend one brass razoo go to an Astro Camp/event.
There you will be able to see what other imagers are using, what the results are like, what they think of their equipment, ask them what they would do differently, etc etc.

$10,000 is a hell of a lot of money to spend without doing some 'practical' research too.
You can read about imaging setups on the net until the cows come home, but until you see the gear in action, compared to other gear, all on the one field, you really are going in blind.

Spend time at an Astro camp, ask questions, see the gear working, listening to the grumbles not just the praises from the owners
(if you walk around at night at a camp you will hear them going off at their gear).
Old 27-02-2011, 04:31 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I've had my C11 (strictly for planet imaging) for 4 years now & can't fault it. As to problems on an SCT in direct relation to imaging: dew, mirror flop & wheather or not you get a lemon. As for the mount, my EQ6 non GOTO is more than enough to handle the C11.

As for Fastar, I can't comment.

I'd drop the laser off the list. You won't need it.

Don't go the DMK, get the Flea3.

Bobs knobs - If it's a good one, you'll need to collimate once a year at most.

As Ken said though. Walk around & listen to the *****ing..
Old 27-02-2011, 05:48 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

i dont have a laptop with firewire I was thinking about waiting for the Flea 3 GIGE to come out.
Old 27-02-2011, 06:04 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Mark,

before you spend one brass razoo go to an Astro Camp/event.
There you will be able to see what other imagers are using, what the results are like, what they think of their equipment, ask them what they would do differently, etc etc.
That Ken, is the best piece of advice for Mark.

The ASNSW have the South Pacific Star Party in 5 weeks time (1-3 April). We have a special area away from the main crowd to cater for Astro Imaging (lights, camera, action ). Here you will see a lot of different setups with different goals and outcomes. Well worth the investment in time and $$$ (setting aside $200 for the weekend). We usually get between 200-300 people for the weekend and it is well supported by all the major astronomy shops.

Before I did anything I did the same thing, and it was well worth the time investment.