ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-03-2021, 12:36 PM
glend (Glen)

Vaccinated Now.

Got my first Covid vaccine injection this morning. One of the only benefits of being an old guy with existing health issues (in Group 1B).
An educational process, but they were processing folks with precision and good humour , at my local GP.
No side effects so far.
Book in if your over 70.
Old 29-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Got my first Covid vaccine injection this morning. One of the only benefits of being an old guy with existing health issues (in Group 1B).
An educational process, but they were processing folks with precision and good humour , at my local GP.
No side effects so far.
Book in if your over 70.
I am 62, but have an underlying health condition. Booked in for 19th of next month.
Old 29-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Glen, any purported side-effects are just your body’s immune system responding in the way it should...

Stay safe for the next few days at least
Old 29-03-2021, 09:25 PM
bojan
amateur

We had it last Friday...
A bit of elevated temperature next day (dealt with panadol) and just a bit sore arm.. and that's it. Now waiting for the second jab, only then we will be more relaxed :-)
Old 29-03-2021, 10:32 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Glen, any purported side-effects are just your body’s immune system responding in the way it should...

Stay safe for the next few days at least
Dunk, yes, some side effects, all of which were already listed on the handout they gave out. Everyone seems to react a bit differently, in my case it's aching joints, particularly my back, and a slight fever. Panadol helps.
Old 30-03-2021, 12:18 AM
Hemi

I’ve had both my shots (1a), apart from a mild arm ache and tender injection site, I had no ill effects. But it varies from one person to another. Some colleagues had a mild flu like illness. Still it’s better than dying from Covid... And its important for our communities and society in general...Get vaccinated....Please.
Old 30-03-2021, 02:41 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Front line staff can't even get vaccine up here. That was a covid nurse that took this strain to Byron. I'm in round 2 but no one has any.
Old 30-03-2021, 06:31 AM
leon

Do they vaccinate buy age only, I am 71 however am a Victorian living in NSW, or do I have to be vaccinated in Victoria

I am in no hurry however, let the most needy get it first

Leon
Old 30-03-2021, 09:20 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
No side effects so far.
Book in if your over 70.
Good to hear Glen,
Take care.
Old 30-03-2021, 09:30 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Lucky you. I went online last week after the tv anouncement and booked one in the system. Went through all the prompts and got a successful booking for Friday at 11:50am. Rang the practice to confirm to which a bewildered receptionist answered "covid what?" Discrepancies between the digital world and the real world. The rollout and vaccination schedule here is the same as everywhere else. Chaotic at best. Even with local manufacturing.
Old 30-03-2021, 03:07 PM
TrevorW

No hurry to get one, and if I d, I'' take the Pfizer
Old 30-03-2021, 03:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
No hurry to get one, and if I d, I'' take the Pfizer
I'd take anything. Maybe in a year time for the renewal we all get Pfizer or other types will be available by then. The astrazeneca is not as effective for different strains but better than nothing. It's like the flu shot. Won't cover you next year but good for this winter.
Old 31-03-2021, 03:26 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I have had dose one of Moderna, wife got Pfizer...get second shot in two weeks. Side effects not too bad...sore arm, headache and a little fatigue was it.

Fingers crossed shot 2 goes as well
Old 31-03-2021, 03:52 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Was vaccinated 9.45 am yesterday and possibly exposed to the virus 20 minutes later my son worked a day with the new case on the north coast on monday and is in isolation awaiting test results we looked after the grandkiddies tuesday morning .
Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Do they vaccinate buy age only, I am 71 however am a Victorian living in NSW, or do I have to be vaccinated in Victoria

I am in no hurry however, let the most needy get it first

Leon
Leon
Currently group 1b is being vaccinated which included everyone 70 and over. Interstate doesn't matter. You can book in anywhere but it is up to the individual general practice how they allocate the doses. My practice started with the over 80s and have now moved to the 70s. Doses are limited. Each practice is allocated an amount per week. This varies from 50, 100 or 400. Most have 50 at the moment. We have been prioritizing our own patients and have not had enough vaccine to offer to any other patients yet.
Just contact your Dr and ask.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:35 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Approx 2 to 3 weeks for me and my wife at the GP
Old 03-04-2021, 09:20 PM
glend (Glen)

The "rules" being applied by various GPs seem very rubbery. My GP practice 'said' that they had to take bookings based on qualification for 1B group, and in priority order of booking, regardless of whether the person booking was a patient of the practice, or not.
Then as we read in posts below, others are prioritising their existing patients first.
I totally understand why a practice would prioritise their existing patient base, this is where most of their business comes from, and a degree of loyalty exists. However, even in the 1B group, there are surprising numbers of people who do not have a regular GP, and thus will shop around.
The government's (Fed and State) need to be more clear about the rules regarding booking. Some people are ringing around prospecting for a vaccine slot, and this was even on suggested by one minister, ie " if you can't get in one, ring another".

The 1B group has been fairly well behaved, but as we move onto the much larger groups, the available GP network may not cope. Large wholesale vaccination centres seem to be the only way to handle large numbers of people, assuming the vaccine doses are actually available.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:18 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
The "rules" being applied by various GPs seem very rubbery. My GP practice 'said' that they had to take bookings based on qualification for 1B group, and in priority order of booking, regardless of whether the person booking was a patient of the practice, or not.
Then as we read in posts below, others are prioritising their existing patients first.
I totally understand why a practice would prioritise their existing patient base, this is where most of their business comes from, and a degree of loyalty exists. However, even in the 1B group, there are surprising numbers of people who do not have a regular GP, and thus will shop around.
The government's (Fed and State) need to be more clear about the rules regarding booking. Some people are ringing around prospecting for a vaccine slot, and this was even on suggested by one minister, ie " if you can't get in one, ring another".

The 1B group has been fairly well behaved, but as we move onto the much larger groups, the available GP network may not cope. Large wholesale vaccination centres seem to be the only way to handle large numbers of people, assuming the vaccine doses are actually available.
I can only speak on my experience here in the US, but the drive through mass vaccinate model is working remarkably well. Yes, you do need to have sufficient quantity of doses first. My whole experience took about 20 mins...looking forward to dose #2 in two weeks. I am scheduled to use the same drive through.

Everything scheduled in advance via a secure website, you get a QR Code, pull up, show a confirming ID and wait your turn and then pull up for observation until you are released after a quick confirmation of no ill effect. Similar to fast food drive through (without the calories).
Old 04-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Yep. Agree with that.
I am under instruction from the immunologist in the family. If you can book a vaccine, any approved European/US vaccine , take the booking.
So, I did. GPs are doing well with doses they can get, but it will takes years if they only get 80 per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I'd take anything. Maybe in a year time for the renewal we all get Pfizer or other types will be available by then. The astrazeneca is not as effective for different strains but better than nothing. It's like the flu shot. Won't cover you next year but good for this winter.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:24 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
I can only speak on my experience here in the US, but the drive through mass vaccinate model is working remarkably well. Yes, you do need to have sufficient quantity of doses first. My whole experience took about 20 mins...looking forward to dose #2 in two weeks. I am scheduled to use the same drive through.

Everything scheduled in advance via a secure website, you get a QR Code, pull up, show a confirming ID and wait your turn and then pull up for observation until you are released after a quick confirmation of no ill effect. Similar to fast food drive through (without the calories).
That's clever. We should do this here too.