Old 06-04-2021, 10:35 AM
AdamJL

B3 sites near Sydney

Hi all

My favourite B3 site is closed until end of May (near Blackheath) so I'm on the hunt for alternatives.
Does anyone care to share some accessible locations? When I go, I usually take my kids along (and the Mrs) and we setup a tent for the kids so this would be nice to have.
Also trying to keep driving distance down to no more than 90mins from central Sydney (Olympic Park).
Blackheath was nice as the altitude gave clearer skies

Thanks!
Adam
Old 07-04-2021, 08:10 PM
AdamJL

Is this one of those weird things that people don't like sharing
Old 07-04-2021, 08:19 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

No Adam, I think it is just a big ask these days. I think to get similar conditions to Blackheath down my way, I would have to drive around 15km west of Mittagong, which may be more than 90 minutes for you. You mentioned wife & kids so do you want facilities like toilets? That is the hard part.
There are some sites where I sometimes observe west of Mittagong, but alas they are only clearings in the bush with no facilities. Also until winter sets in, we can still get the coastal cloud building up after sunset down here so it is a bit of a gamble.
Old 17-04-2021, 07:05 PM
GOTO (Geoff)

Hi Adam, I just saw this after asking essentially the same thing. I like the picnic area at the corner of Jenolan Caves Rd and Duck Maloi Rd near Oberon but it doesn't have views to the horizon which is what I am after. I hope someone else helps too.
Cheers
Geoff
Old 17-04-2021, 08:29 PM
JA

Hi Adam,
l'm from Melbourne so can't help with a specific spot in NSW; however, if l were looking for a dark place anywhere I would use the Lightpollutionmap website and simply enter Sydney as the location. You can zoom down to street level if you like and if you use the World Atlas 2015 overlay in the top right dialogue box it give all of the site data: skybrightness, Bortle class, etc..

If you also open a Google Maps map alongside the lightpollution map you can then search for caravan parks, camping grounds, motels etc...

I'm on my phone otherwise I'd link the above as an example.

Good luck in your quest.

Best
JA
Old 17-04-2021, 10:52 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

not much I am afraid, the only one I can think of is, and think he is closer to bortle 4, 34°08'15.0"S 150°59'55.9"E

You park at waterfall station carpark, you walk down the fire trail for about 1km and you have a clearing with a nice concrete strip along the middle to set up a scope on, not clear on the tent, but I have atleast have had it confirmed its not been used as a helipad area for a decade, but again 1km back to the station if you need the toilet,