Old 04-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Daggles123 (Daryl)

Camera question

Hi all from Gilgandra (bortle 2 location)

I am planning to get into DS astrophotography. I currently have 2 canon dslr’s (60D and 200Dmk2). I will be using these cameras only on small tripod with standard 18-35mm lens at first to learn how to use them effectively, but eventually putting them onto my celestron 8se and skywatcher 80ED scopes on skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount. The 60D is 18megapixel, and the 200D is 24megapixel. My dilema is this- is the higher megapixel going to be better for using on the scopes, and will the file size be an issue? Would I still get the same results (say at iso 1600) from each camera, irregardless to their megapixel rating?
Old 04-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Both should be be fine although the one with slightly larger pixels should be better in theory on the longer focal length. They both have adjustable LCD with full live view zoom which is great for the essential Bahtinov mask focus. .

Just try the ISO at 400 800 1600 etc, to find the sweet spot. All are different. If you use a lense , a prime ED with focus lock is best. A zoom needs to be taped up.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Ps. Turn off shake reduction, turn off hi iso noise reduction, white balance set to daylight and use a remote with mirror up and delay.