Old 23-05-2019, 08:14 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Orion focuser

Anyone using a $100 Orion AccuFocus Electronic Focuser?
Mine works ok manually but I have no success driving it from the lap top..yes I have the little box and software but all I get is a message that no Focuser is located.
Anyone driving via a lap top that can suggest what I may be missing?
I have tried linking direct to the lappy and bypassing any usb hub still no result.
Alex
Old 23-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hey Alex,

Have a look in your device manager/usb ports in windows control panel & see if anything shows up there. It may be that you need an updated driver, it might be trying to use a port thats already assigned to another device (windows doesnt always drop port/usb assignments automatically or, its possible, its not compatible with the version of windows youre using.

Did any software come with the control unit? Have you installed it?

We can see if we can work through this & hopefully get a result for you.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Anyone using a $100 Orion AccuFocus Electronic Focuser?
Mine works ok manually but I have no success driving it from the lap top..yes I have the little box and software but all I get is a message that no Focuser is located.
Anyone driving via a lap top that can suggest what I may be missing?
I have tried linking direct to the lappy and bypassing any usb hub still no result.
Alex
Old 23-05-2019, 03:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Calton.
I will check.
The software is correct as far as I know but you may be on the money re checking device manager.
Alex
Old 23-05-2019, 04:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The software is "FocusPal2".
Nothing that I can see in the device manager.
As to driver update can you suggest where I get updates thats safe etc...I get flashes on the screen for driver updates but I ignore them cause I dont know where they come from ... I got caught once ages ago with one of these..paid money and never got what I was after..I cant remember as that was over a year ago.
So I click on the software icon and it displays "Error initializing the FCUSB adapter! Make sure it is connected and try again"...well as far as I can see all the connections are ok...so I dont know.
Alex
Old 23-05-2019, 04:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

When I click ok to that previous display the "control" panel for the focuser comes up ..forward reverse etc...but you press say reverse it shows "Not connected to FCUSB2" Press ok and it goes back to display but nothing works.
Alex
Old 23-05-2019, 04:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I went into trouble shooting "Configure a device"...
Run that and I get System interface Foundatuon V2 Device has a driver problem.
UMDF minidriver Device has a druver problem
And last line I dont see my device listed...So I have hit the last one in the absence of any driver update...and it says Restart your PC to finish instaling drivers and updates.
Apply this fior Skip this fix..It now says its detecting additional problems and taking a long time...so I will get back to it later as I have to go out now.
Alex
Old 23-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

No worries Alex,

It sounds as though you are on the right path at this stage.

With respect to the safety of installing drivers; generally if windows itself initiates a windows driver it is generally safe. If you obtain a driver from the original software/hardware manufacturer's site it is generally safe or, if you you use a link from the genuine website of the software/hardware manufacturer it is generally safe... I use that word generally as there can be exceptions but, if it is from a legitimate source you are usually okay.

I generally avoid getting drivers from 3rd party companies who are not in anyway linked with the manufacturer or developer of a product. Usually, you are not required to pay for driver updates so, avoid those as well as often they are just someone trying to make money off you.

If you ever need ASCOM drivers (quite a lot of Astro software uses ASCOM to interface one piece of equipment with another or with a different software - ie: camera's with Sharpcap is one example), simply go to the ASCOM site or the camera manufacturer site & they will have the appropriate ASCOM driver...

If you get stuck, you should hopefully have my number in a previous PM, don't hesitate to call me, if I can help you work through it I will. As always, no promises but, it sounds as though you might be making some progress..

Cheers
Old 23-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Have a look here Alex.. you should be able to hunt down the driver you need here & it is a legitimate site.

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy...roducts_fc.htm
Old 23-05-2019, 09:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Carlton...it seems I downloaded the wrong driver when I downloaded the software some time ago. I downloaded the same again tonight that I thought was the correct one but then tried the other one and it seems to work but I will do a full test tomorrow.
Thank you for all your help I sure do appreciate you taking the time.
alex
Old 23-05-2019, 09:59 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Hopefully you are on the right path now mate... hope it all comes together

Cheers
Old 24-05-2019, 08:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

All seems ok.
I had the horrors when I tried it again as it did not work.
However I was clicking on the old icon.
Finally noticed the new icon and clicked it and it worked
I have not tried the asiair focus function but tried a direct 10 mt cable which works so even if asiair does not work I can run a cable inside to control focus via the lap top...which although not perfect still means I should be able to stay inside.
Hopefully I get the caravan (free plus transpot costs) picked up on Monday and place it up at the dark site and start really getting everything set up permanent.
Its been a taxing week or so but finally it seems to be coming together.
My only problem is i have to remove the annex from the van before it goes on Monday which I expect wont be easy...any tips there Carlton☺
It probably connects via a track so I will arm myself with wd40☺.
And today I am changing cars to go to an automatic as my legs just cant handle the manual anymore. Minimal change over costs but all this cleans me out.
So busy busy busy.
Thanks again to you Carlton and all that have offerred support...I doubt if I could have got thru this asiair thing with out the support here and from Bintel.
Thanks to all.
Alex
Old 24-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
All seems ok.

My only problem is i have to remove the annex from the van before it goes on Monday which I expect wont be easy...any tips there Carlton☺

Thanks to all.
Alex

Good to hear Alex, I'm so pleased for you & if I helped in anyway then, that's a bonus for me.

Caravan annexes.. nah, sorry bud... not my area at all...

Cheers

Carlton