Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-07-2020, 04:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

SOH another Lagoon

Hopefully my last high gain short exposures unguided.I took a few but threw away heaps..half the ha at least...trying to get decent detail.
A little disappointed as the subs in Startools looked great...just too long at it I guess.
40 one minute HA, 20 one minute of O11 and 20 one minute of S11. ZWO 1600 mono, HEQ 5 unguided mount, gain from 150 to 250, 115 mm refractor, near freeeezing. Deep Sky Stacker, StarTools for processing and RBG, Photo Shop to add in a burnt out core...yes only one minute subs but high gain will do that,played with it all day but need to post it to realise how over saturated it is..however on my lappy any less looks very washed out.Really needed more O11 and S11 but probably wont use this data as hopefully next data will be reasonable gain and three minute subs..at least two...
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ICE43o11.jpg)
186.7 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (Polish_20200720_181028079.jpg)
187.2 KB39 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 20-07-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 20-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Your PA must be spot on as those stars at 1 minute are perfectly round and sharp
Plenty of fine nebulosity detail as well , I don’t know about pushing 3 minute subs on such a bright object like M8 ?? It may blow the core out too much ??
I reckon leave your subs at 1 minute or 90sec and just gather more subs If you can next time
Well done !! A really good unguided M8
Martin
Old 20-07-2020, 10:40 PM
PKay (Peter)

Best I seen from you Alex.

I have never seen such detail...
Old 21-07-2020, 01:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for the encouragement Gentlemen.

After tonight I need it.

Nothing would work and in the end the mount stopped tracking, so I put the hand box back on still no go but happily a computer restart got things going again. After trying everything else first of course..power unit, cables, ..I thought the mount was broken.

Anyways went back to 60 second subs but at only 100 gain to see if that would work and after ages balancing things went ok but every now and then bad trailing... and dropped subs which is not unusual...finally thought I would let it run while I went inside to warm up ..came back and it seems there was cloud for 45 minutes...so I thought try the guiding with tips and backed things off went for three seconds and gently gently..on the basis the mount really tracks rather well so it should only need minor corrections..did a 10 minute that the bottom half was dropped but the stars that I could see left at the top were near perfect on close inspection.

Still on the Lagoon but I rotated the camera 90 degrees to achieve more desirable framing as this scope, unlike the Espirit 80 mm, rotates no problems.
So it is different data but I am learning a great deal.
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 21-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Kuz

Top effort Alex . As said already, those stars are bang on perfect for 1 minute subs . I like the colours as well
Old 21-07-2020, 10:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuz View Post
Top effort Alex . As said already, those stars are bang on perfect for 1 minute subs . I like the colours as well
Thank you Kuz. Check out my new one and my short story if you have the time.
alex
Old 21-07-2020, 11:57 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Great detail there Alex nice round stars too.
Old 22-07-2020, 12:46 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Great detail there Alex nice round stars too.
Thank you Nikolas ..make sure you check what I feel is an improved take..see Blue Lagoon..although there are some oval stars if you look close but probably due to the scope not the tracking.
Alex