Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 22-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Observing Report: Comet C2012 S1 ISON 21/11/13.

Comet C2012 S1 ISON
21/11/13
3.40 – 4.10am
EQUIPMENT: 4” Newtonian and 10x60 Binoculars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Sketch-Comet ISON 21-11-13.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	152218

At 3.40am, the comet is sitting 10 degrees below and just to the right of Spica and 5 degrees above my horizon playing a dance with the power lines. Through my 10x60 binoculars it was easy to spot and had a slight bluish tinge. It resembled a bright fuzzy round patch. There was some elongation to the north. No tail is visible.

By the time I find and view it through my 4” scope, it is now around 3.50am and twilight is well and truly setting in with a bluish sky.
Using a 15mm widefield eyepiece at 66 X magnification: Wow- I couldn’t get over how blue comet ISON is; especially considering the sky is now showing blue from twilight emerging. Blue on blue- very pretty. The sky is now too bright to see any fuzzy halo or an elongation. All that could be seen is the bright central condensation in the shape of a round blue ball.

It’s now 4am and the comet is 10 degrees above my horizon. I swap back to my binoculars- despite the yellowing of sunrise now emerging low on the horizon; it is still an easy target. By 4.10am it’s gone from my view.

The outburst last week put this comet around magnitude 5.
Today’s viewing has it by reports at magnitude 3.7.
In my observation (and I’m no expert at comet mag. estimates here) but I have observed 2013’s comet Lemmon which was sitting around mag.5 and this was so much brighter!

This image best represents what I saw through my 10x60 binoculars, although the central condensation wasn’t so bright. And thru my 4” scope, the central condensation only was visible as a round blue ball:

Name:	Michael Uberty- Comet Ison 20-11-13 AFOCAL 10 inch DOB.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	152216

This image best represents what I saw through the eyepiece of my 4” scope.
Though the central condensation was rounder. And as twilight was now well under way, I couldn’t see any coma or elongation.

Name:	Michael Uberty 2- Comet Ison 20-11-13 AFOCAL 10 inch DOB.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	152217

Thanks for reading.

IMAGES CREDIT:

Michael Uberty Comet ISON 11/20/13
6:15 AM EST- LeRoy NY USA
10" Dob w/ 8mm EP
Handheld Canon Powershot ELPH310 @ the EP.

Old 22-11-2013, 06:42 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Well done, thanks Suzy.
Old 22-11-2013, 07:20 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Well done Suzy , great report, much more than I have been able to see.
It will be a big reminder of what I missed
Cheers
Old 22-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Thanks Glen .

Ron, maybe someone will give you a chainsaw for Christmas wrapped in a man colour ribbon!
Sorry you missed it- seems both tree and clouds conspired against you. I still can't believe how lucky I was to get that beautiful clear night which I did my obs in. It was such a surprise as I'd truly given up hope of observing it. I had a 30 sec quickie look days before but didn't see much as it was thru cloud gap and was very hazy.
Old 24-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Kunama

Great report Suzy, unfortunately the Canberra clouds conspired to keep me from seeing it.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Well done Suzy and thanks for the report.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Thanks Glen .

Ron, maybe someone will give you a chainsaw for Christmas wrapped in a man colour ribbon!
Sorry you missed it- seems both tree and clouds conspired against you. I still can't believe how lucky I was to get that beautiful clear night which I did my obs in. It was such a surprise as I'd truly given up hope of observing it. I had a 30 sec quickie look days before but didn't see much as it was thru cloud gap and was very hazy.
Suzy,I have a friend coming over Christmas break with a noisy machine to get rid of a few observation blockers.
Cheers