Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2020, 08:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

rosette art project

Especialy for Peter...

This one was for my private collection as the way I arrived at a result broke all the rules and the main reason I kept on this one was I believe every time you try the more little things you learn..was supposed to be a SHO image but when I went to my file wherein the S11 was supposed to be all that was there was a message ..this folder is empty...so as I had every other filter I just did things like add the blue to O11 and green to HA and ran them thru the RBG application in Startools simply to see how good the detail was...unfortunately the stars were pre fix of the flatener ...also the noise was really bad and even Startools could not fix it...in the parts of the image outside the object...I learnt you can hide it to a degree by making those regions very dark...and folk will say they are dark but the dust is now at least under the carpet,

I cropped it and rotated it in an effort to capture the eye and lead it to the central region..it worked for me ..maybe no one else but I am trying things with data that was effectively usless.

but mainly its fun for me and that is important still isnt it?

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FINAL1.jpg)
237.5 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (aFINAL1 copy.jpg)
236.8 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20200723_210907.jpg)
205.3 KB43 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 23-07-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 24-07-2020, 06:53 AM
PKay (Peter)

Your creativity and enthusiasm has no bounds Alex.

I like the 2nd one best.

And thanks for the advice, I was feeling quite disillusioned for awhile.
Old 24-07-2020, 09:36 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

First ...I was losing my posts yesterday and had to retype on three occasions. I left out one important point.
The last image is perhaps where I would like to be but if you examine the edges you can see the noise is over the top, certainly it was very disappointing having done so much to process the image...the fact I was working without the data I needed made no difference and I guess seeing that noise left me disolussioned but I fell back on the fact that these exposures were at ridiculous gain and I did not take dark but rather than give up I worked to make the best of it and felt happy about one and two and realised if I do things right I could get something next time with lots of nebulosity like three and that dark and correct gain are things I can look at to improve.

The recent Lagoon photo was getting something out of nothing, framing was wrong, the guiding that I was excited about did not work even after passing all tests on trial runs, I lost maybe half my data to trailing or cloud. I near froze and yet nothing to write home about...
When the stack arrived two thirds of the frame was pure noise ...the whole experience left me feeling like I should give it all away..but even though the image is cropped colour is odd etc I really am happy with that image because it told me next time or that time at some point in the future where I do everything by the book, auto guide is working, long exposures at correct gain, dark, flats and dark flats and bias, on a clear dark night and I have the sofeware under my belt ..then and only then should I critise myself but in the time between play the cards that I have been dealt.
It is not easy for someone who was strong, very athletic, motivated and used to being the best at whatever I took on to accept being in effect cripple, weak and I suppose old my self image had to change or I could only give up and die...but I insist on moving forward and although probably thought of as an old incompetent fool by some I only care about doing the best I can with what I have...for me any result is going to be past the folk who have given up and gone to the old peoples home to await death...no doubt I will die at the scope snap frozen and preserved for if they ever find me.

Alex
Old 24-07-2020, 11:07 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Alex firstly great recovery work. Secondly you beat me to the punch. I had just recently finished an image of NGC 6744 along similar lines. I don't want to hijack your thread so I won't go into detail here, but to sum it up quickly it was more of an artistic experiment than a photographic representation. Stay positive, try not to worry too much about where you've been or where you're going and just enjoy where you are! You have a very stylish result. Well done!
Old 25-07-2020, 07:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you but if you care to share your experience and results here in this thread I would be very happy for you to do so ... This thread was to encourage others.
Alex
Old 26-07-2020, 04:36 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I'm not sure if it it'll encourage others as it's just me messing around with junk data but I'll post it anyway in good spirit.
Old 26-07-2020, 05:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
I'm not sure if it it'll encourage others as it's just me messing around with junk data but I'll post it anyway in good spirit.
Well your good spirit can only encourage others I expect. Every photon is precious.
I suspect many folk feel shy and anything that can be done to make them feel comfortable posting their results is worthwhile...stay safe and happy.
Alex