Old 21-06-2011, 03:59 PM
PRejto (Peter)

My MX Tripod Arrived!

I know there is interest in this tripod. Mine arrived yesterday. Beautifully made and finished, and surprisingly light weight. This appears to be the same tripod sold by Paramount, but I got it directly from Rob Miller and saved at least $1,000 including shipping. Anyone in the Sydney area is welcome to inspect mine if you are interested.

I also finished a month long project putting a concrete block under my deck to hold a 36" Paramount pier. I think it turned out ok, but was a bigger and harder project than I anticipated. Happily I now have two mounting solutions for the MX when it finally arrives! Photos if anyone is interested to see how I went about it: http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Catamount MX.jpg)
186.6 KB237 views
Old 21-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

Looks good, when does your PMX arrive ?
Old 21-06-2011, 06:45 PM
PRejto (Peter)

MX arrival? I'm in the first group so hopefully soon. But it's anyone's guess....
Old 22-06-2011, 06:26 AM
CDKPhil
Phil Liebelt

The tripod looks great.
I would say it is cheaper than the Software Bisque one because it does not have the micro levelling adjusters that run down each leg.
But still a very fine piece of equipment.

All you need is the MX to go on top.

Cheers
Phil
Old 23-06-2011, 11:48 AM
frolinmod

Note that Rob's tripod isn't the same as the Software Bisque tripod. But I think it's just as good and way less expensive to boot.

Also note that several months ago when I asked Rob if he's the one making the Software Bisque tripods for them he said "no."

BTW, you should probably spread the legs further apart to provide a wider base of support.

Last edited by frolinmod; 23-06-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 23-06-2011, 12:08 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDKPhil View Post
it does not have the micro levelling adjusters that run down each leg.
Rob is supplying another style of leveler as an option with his tripods (see pic below). I got a set of these with mine and they work very well, although you need to bend down to adjust them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (accessory 001.jpg)
203.3 KB55 views
Old 23-06-2011, 04:47 PM
CDKPhil
Phil Liebelt

I like those levellers they look very well made. I do not think it would be much of a problem to bend down to adjust them.

Cheers
Phil
Old 23-06-2011, 05:29 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDKPhil View Post
I like those levellers they look very well made. I do not think it would be much of a problem to bend down to adjust them.
They work fine for me, but I do appreciate the elegance of the ones on the Bisque tripod that look like you could adjust them while standing up and watching a spirit level on top of the mount.

The quality of my Rob Miller tripod is fantastic. You can tell that he's been building this stuff for years. I'm grateful that the Losmandy tripod I ordered took so long to be delivered that I gave up and canceled the order...

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 23-06-2011, 06:18 PM
cventer

What was your landed cost of the tripod and levellers from Rob ?
Old 23-06-2011, 07:48 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer View Post
What was your landed cost of the tripod and levellers from Rob ?

Only a little more than a Losmandy FHD-MA was going to cost me from an Australian supplier (PM me if you want more detail). I did get introductory pricing. Not sure how long that lasts...

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Someone asked me about the weight carrying capacity of these tripods. I received the following message from Rob:

"total useful carrying capacity of the M unit is about in the region of 500 lb total payload. Some parts would be on the point of breaking above a total load of 2000 lb...so we have a good margin here.
I've used this design for 12" and 14" Newts over the last three decades...no problems. But height would be less than 36" prob in the region of 26/28" for an F5 scope. Custom heights are available to order at plus 30% on the all black basic price, so plus $232.5 in the case of the Tri36M at $775 becoming a Tri28M at $775 + $232.5 for custom height.