Old 10-04-2020, 11:06 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Grits for the Grind

Hello,

I have been looking at grits and have either a lapidary store (cheap starter packs) or a more commercial supplier in Sydney (a lot more variety of grits on offer).

What grades of grits do I need to step through the mirror making processes. I would prefer to spend longer at each level of polishing, over buying a lot of various grits.

For the final polish I was going the cerium oxide, is it worth the extra money over tin or the aluminium oxides?

Any suggestions for good suppliers to work with, or the brands that supply well graded grit compounds etc would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve
Ps. I'm working at F6 FL's, so I am hoping this will make my 1st project a lot easier.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:17 AM
Rod

Hi Steve

If you want to use the minimum number of grit stages then make sure you read Mel Bartel's guide to mirror making. That's the way he works:

https://www.bbastrodesigns.com/JoyOf...ing/Intro.html

I would also suggest you read through the stellafane site. Here is a link to their section on grit:

https://stellafane.org/tm/atm/mirror-refs/grit.html

I purchased my grit from gotgrit.com

You use silicone carbide for the first 2 to 3 grades of grinding then switch to aluminium oxide if you can. It's smoother and quieter to work with.

Cerium oxide is used throughout the polishing and figuring process. Some people use rouge for the final stages but that's not essential.

You will also need some pitch or aculap to make a polishing lap.

Hope that helps,

Rod.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:24 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Thanks for the reply, I have been reading the "The joy of.." and watching the John Dob videos. I am trying to read/watch all I can to find one guide I think I can follow from beginning to end.

The Stellafane suggestion that the coarseness starting levels depends on the size of mirror was a great tip I hadn't seen or read before though.

Waiting on smaller thin blanks to start practicing each of the stages with, I'm sure it will all make more sense when I'm covered in sparkle dust...
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 AM
sopticals (Stephen)

Grit progressions

Hi, I've just finished grinding a 33"f3.55 mirror (all without the use of any machinery). Grit progression I used: (All Sic) #36,(hogging),#60,#120,#220,#400,#8 00 (22"glass tile tool).Now ready to polish using Cerium Oxide.

For small mirrors (up to 8-10") I have used #80,#220,#400#800 grits only.
For Medium size (12-16") #60,#120,#220,#400,#800 is OK.

No need to obsess overly on how close/wide the grades are.

Stephen.
Old 13-04-2020, 12:12 PM
dave brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

I would prefer to spend longer at each level of polishing, over buying a lot of various grits.
If you don't get the grind fine enough you might change your mind on that after hours of polishing.

Dave