Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM
pvelez (Pete)

PW owners

I have bitten the bullet and upgraded my long focal length scope to a PW CDK 12.5. I should pick it up in a few weeks.

I have a few questions for owners of this scope as I want to be ready when it arrives:

1. Balance - I plan to use the PMX mount. It is strong enough to handle it but I'm uncertain about counterweights. Will I need a third counterweight? What has been the experience of other users.

2. Adapters - the PW website is very helpful with information on back focus and adapters. But any rig needs several of them and the cost mounts quickly. Looking at the QSI for example, there are at least 3 spacers/couplers required. Have others bought the PW supplied adapters or asked Precise Parts to sort this out?

3. Cameras - I have 3 alternative cameras for the scope. I have a QSI 583 for general purpose imaging, a ST10 for photometry/spectroscopy and a STL11000 for wide fields. The pixel size of the STL is a much better match but I have seen some good images with a QSI binned. What do others use?

4. MMOAG - if I use the STL11k, I'm considering adding a MMOAG. Can anyone comment on this set-up?

5. Rotator - PW recommend the Optec 3 inch Pyxis. I have a 2 inch which is too small for this but it works well. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a rotator?

6. Anything else - is there anything else I should be thinking of ordering? The scope has the electronic focusser and piggyback dovetail.

I am v excited - in case you hadn't noticed.

Once it arrives, I will need to move the RC8 on - so long as I get the collimating right first!

Pete
Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Pete,

Congrats on the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post

1. Balance - I plan to use the PMX mount. It is strong enough to handle it but I'm uncertain about counterweights. Will I need a third counterweight? What has been the experience of other users.

2. Adapters - the PW website is very helpful with information on back focus and adapters. But any rig needs several of them and the cost mounts quickly. Looking at the QSI for example, there are at least 3 spacers/couplers required. Have others bought the PW supplied adapters or asked Precise Parts to sort this out?

3. Cameras - I have 3 alternative cameras for the scope. I have a QSI 583 for general purpose imaging, a ST10 for photometry/spectroscopy and a STL11000 for wide fields. The pixel size of the STL is a much better match but I have seen some good images with a QSI binned. What do others use?

4. MMOAG - if I use the STL11k, I'm considering adding a MMOAG. Can anyone comment on this set-up?

5. Rotator - PW recommend the Optec 3 inch Pyxis. I have a 2 inch which is too small for this but it works well. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a rotator?

6. Anything else - is there anything else I should be thinking of ordering? The scope has the electronic focusser and piggyback dovetail.

I am v excited - in case you hadn't noticed.

Once it arrives, I will need to move the RC8 on - so long as I get the collimating right first!

Pete
1) you will need a third counter weight, im sure of it. 2 didnt do it for me.
2) I bought the PW supplied adapters for use with the stl11000. Simple, but im not using a rotator or MOAG.
5) I use the Hedrick focuser to rotate my gear, yes its manually done.

Just check the optical alignment of the scope when it arrives and if it looks good, then you can proceed to collimation using the stars.

The dew heaters on the mirrors is a neat addition.

Josh
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Hi Pete,

Congrats on the purchase.

1) you will need a third counter weight, im sure of it. 2 didnt do it for me.
2) I bought the PW supplied adapters for use with the stl11000. Simple, but im not using a rotator or MOAG.
5) I use the Hedrick focuser to rotate my gear, yes its manually done.

Just check the optical alignment of the scope when it arrives and if it looks good, then you can proceed to collimation using the stars.

The dew heaters on the mirrors is a neat addition.

Josh
Thanks Josh

I'll talk to Bintel about a new counterweight - I thought I'd need another. I'm told its a heavy beast

Having played around with the Precise Parts website parts builder, I think the PW adapters are the go. That said, I do have a spectroscope and it might be a bit more fiddly to manage

I didn't appreciate that you could rotate the focuser in that way - cool

The STL11k is the best option for me I know but the download speeds in mine are painfully slow so I was looking to the QSI as well. That said, the adapters for the QSI add up to almost double the STL.

Pete
Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Hi Pete,

2) I bought the PW supplied adapters for use with the stl11000.
Josh

Out of interest, where did you buy the adapters? There are prices on the PW website but no sale facility as far as I can see.

I see Optcorp sells them.

Pete
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Pete,

i bought mine from PW. Ide recommend Sending PW an email or calling them to place your order. let them know what gear you have so there are no mix ups.

Josh
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM
frolinmod

Josh, please tell us all about that declination counterweight device that you have hanging under your versaplate. It looks good.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
Josh, please tell us all about that declination counterweight device that you have hanging under your versaplate. It looks good.
Pete, please excuse me for a moment...

Hi Ernie, thanks for asking.

well the whole point of it was so i could use all 4 versa plate plungers to grip the CDK dovetail, because believe it or not, I found it to be much more stable when all 4 were working.

But when using all 4 plungers, the Dec axis was to rear end heavy, so i made up the simple contraption you see bolted to the underside of the front of the versa plate. It has a sliding weight on it to accommodate different equipment and 2 locking collars either side of the weight with a piece of rubber between the weight and each collar so things dont go clunk as i slew over the sky.

Josh
Old 10-07-2013, 02:44 AM
cfranks (Charles)

Pete, you might consider the counterweight bar extension from Bisque instead of the extra counterweight. I bought one for my PMX and I need only 2 weights for my DSI RC10C. Probably not as heavy as your new purchase but it reduced the load on my PMX.

Charles
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks Charles - thats a very good suggestion

Pete