Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks Rob

where do I find the catalogue for Pinpoint LE? The program asks for the relevant file but I can't find it in Maxim

Pete
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Found it! http://gsc.dc3.com/

Will give this a go

Pete
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
I am not sure why you would want to guide via EQmode. Maxim can indeed handle 2 cables running to the mount with ease and this is actually the best and most reliable way to do it. I use vixen mounts with a starbook so I can either guide via the LAN through the starbook (similar to what you are doing) or via the guider relay. When I have used the LAN alone through the starbook I have had very hit and miss sessions similar to what you have described. What I do now is set the guide tab to use "guider relay" and use the guide ports on the camera and mount. I then connect to the starbook via the telescope tab using an ascom driver. This method has proved 100% sucessful and only causes grief when I stuff up the settings (cal time or backlash etc). The advantage is the controller feeds mount position info back to the program automatically and you only have to calibrate the mount once for the evening even if you intend to shoot several targets. When you get Maxim sorted its pretty hard to beat.

Cheers

Mark
Mark,

I fear I have misread your notes in another very helpful post at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=maxim+guiding

In that post you suggest that

"It also pays to have the mount connected through the telescope window as this will supply all the info to maxim and you wont have to use the manual calibration settings and scope dec is automatically read as is pier flip etc so you do not need to recalibrate if you move to a different target."

I assumed from this that I should use pulse guiding through ASCOM rather than the guider relays. Rereading it, I guess you simply meant that the mount should be linked in via Maxim but that autoguiding is done through the relays - D'Oh!

Your earlier post has been extremely helpful - thanks for that.

I'll try again via guide relays.

Pete
Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
Mark,

I fear I have misread your notes in another very helpful post at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=maxim+guiding

"It also pays to have the mount connected through the telescope window as this will supply all the info to maxim and you wont have to use the manual calibration settings and scope dec is automatically read as is pier flip etc so you do not need to recalibrate if you move to a different target."

I assumed from this that I should use pulse guiding through ASCOM rather than the guider relays. Rereading it, I guess you simply meant that the mount should be linked in via Maxim but that autoguiding is done through the relays - D'Oh!

Pete
I hope it works as well for you as it does for me Pete. Also if you want maxim to guide off a star you choose just put the mouse over it and click once. I used to draw a box around it then wonder why it paid no attention at all (then I read the instructions ). Helps to take a simple dark frame for the guider as well (under options tab on the RHS). Also if you are able to set guide rates in EQmode (1X, 0.5X etc) you can use that to smooth the curve more as maxim will also be treating EQmode as your controller, just takes a bit of trial and error. In 5.12 there is also the anti striction function under the settings tab in the guide window. This is really good if you get a saw blade type curve where the program keeps over shooting due to backlash. If you polar align very slightly out so that there is a slight drift and check the box for anti striction, the program will determine the direction drift and switch off the axis that corrects with the drift. This means it will only send signals to correct against the drift so the worm is always loaded and eliminates a lot of problems with too much backlash.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by marki; 02-02-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks Mark

I'll have a play with guide rates. I'm not sure what I have them set on at the moment.

Getting polar alignment out won't be a problem - its getting it only slightly out that will be difficult! Will give the anti striction a go too.

Pete
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

+1 for PinPoint. It's such a joy to be on target, every time without fail, particularly when you're imaging from night to night on the same object. : )

H
Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
Mark,

Pete
You just use "telescope" in the guider settings menu:
Camera control>guider settings>autoguider output control via>telescope.
Calibrate once and forget it until you change something, eg camera orientation. If you don't change anything from one night to the next, since Maxim remembers your settings, recalibration is not necessary.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:10 PM
pvelez (Pete)

I thought I'd give an update to this thread

Since the last exchange, I've been trapped by clouds, work and a bright moon. Tonight is the first chance I've had to give this a whirl.

So I've downloaded the catalogue for Pinpoint, aligned as usual, then did a plate solve and synced - BAM! Right on target. How cool is this? Set another target - same again.

Then ran the calibration routine in Maxim - no dramas at all.

My scope is now merrily tracking on the horsie - we'll see what it comes up with.

A huge thanks from me to all who have contributed on this - its so much easier in this game if there are supportive people around who are happy to share their knowledge when needed.

I'll look to post the results

Cheers

Pete
Old 26-02-2011, 08:46 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Great stuff Pete
We can feel the smile from a distance

Worth reading up on using Pinpoint to calibrate the screen too - let's you right click anywhere on your image and do a "Point telescope here". Another great trick to make framing painless.