Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Samyang 10mm f2.8 vs 16mm f2.0

Hi all,
I can't really decide on which one of these will be best suited for some milky way shots. So for those that have had first hand experience using either one what are your thoughts? I am open to other suggestions if you believe that there are better options regarding price/quality, but from what I've managed to research so far these two seem like the go to for most people.

The camera being used is an unmodified Canon 70D.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Why not compromiseand get a 14mm? This is the most popular focal length lensfor milkyway samyang lenses. I've used mine only a handful of times but it makes for great timelapsing and milky way shots.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:02 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

The Milky Way is made up of nebulosity, dust and stars. Physical lens area governs the speed that the sensor records stars, f stop governs the speed that the sensor records nebulosity and dust.

The 16mm will record nebulae, dust and extended objects twice as fast as the 10mm and stars six times faster than the 10mm. So the only other question is do you need the wider field of view of the 10mm?

Joe
Old 04-11-2017, 02:10 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks Tony, I'll have to check that one out its a little cheaper than the others which is good for the wallet. I guess my other question is are these three lenses similar in optic quality or is there a huge difference? I'm not too concerned about vignetting or distortion (unless it's really bad), but I am curious about their comparative sharpness. I hear that the 16mm is razor sharp even at f2.0.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Hemi

Both of the lenses are great, but ideally need to be stopped down a little.
If your not tracking, then you might consider the sigma 14mm 1.8. It’s a big price jump though.

It’s 1/2 to 1 stop faster than the above, and reviews have been good in terms of coma and chroma.

The 1 stop makes a difference, as with your 70d the pixel size means that your limited to 11-13s exposures, for absolutely no trailing (spot stars). Thats using the npf rule, rather than the 500 rule. If you don’t mind a little trailing, then the sigmas advantage lessen.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks guys.
Hemi I did have a look at the Sigma before these but I want to put those extra $ towards some other equipment I have my eye on. I'll keep it on the wish list for future reference. Ah decisions decisions, I think it's time to head down to the shop, have a little play maybe come back with a new lens. (Fingers crossed).
Old 04-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Hemi

Forgot, on your crop sensor, the sigma 18-35 1.8 also becomes an option. Great lens and versatile for daytime.

Good luck.

Hemi
Old 04-11-2017, 10:23 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

I use a Samyang 24mm f1.4 manual lens. It is excellent and covers plenty of sky. I find infinity then put masking tape on to the focusser to keep it from deviating. I dont use it at f1.4 though - I find it is better at f2.0
Those Samyang lenses are really good value. Also sold as different brand - Rockinon. Same lens
Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Hemi

That’s a nice lens too. For me, it’s fine on my full frame (5d4), but too narrow for my crop sensor 70d without having to mosaic.

Horizontal angles of view for 10, 14, 16, 24mm

Canon 70d

97, 77, 70, 50

Full frame

122, 104, 97, 74

I use an app called photopills, it’s fantastic for day and night photography.

Regards

Hemi
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Hi LostInSp_ce,

I've just been through the same exercise, albeit for a full frame Nikon D600.

My main area of interest is nightscapes featuring the Milky Way and a terrestrial subject. I've been using a Samyang 14mm f2.8 with pleasing results but my tripod had a little whoopsie at a cemetery one night (bloody ghosts ) and damaged the lens.

In my search for a replacement I narrowed it down to the Sigma 14mm f1.8 and the Tamron 15-30 f2.8 for it's versatility. With your camera's 1.6 crop factor these are both a bit narrow for getting most of the arc of the Milky Way without stitching.

While I was getting my funds together I continued searching and came across the Samyang 12mm f2.8 and checked some reviews, lots actually, and most were very positive.

It then occurred to me that for the price of the two above mentioned lens I could get the Samyang f2.8 and a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer bundle ,which is the way I've gone. Of course since I picked up the Star Adventurer it's been overcast so I haven't had a chance to test it outside. The Samyang is on it's way from Hong Kong and I should be able to give some feedback on it early next week.

A little while back I decided that Milky Way and nebula photography was going to be my 'thing' and to that end I got a full frame camera, firstly for the wider FOV, and also for the better light gathering ability the bigger pixels offered. Have a look here for a comparison of the sensors of the 70D and the 6D. https://www.digicamdb.com/compare/ca...-canon_eos-6d/

I don't know how keen you are on wide field astrophotography, but now is the time to give some serious consideration to a switch to full frame, something like the Canon 6D, before you lock yourself further into the crop sensor scenario.

If you stick with the 70D I think that the Samyang 10mm f2.8 is a good option to minimise stitching, giving you the FOV of a 16mm lens.

I also came across this handy plug-in for Photoshop CC and Lightroom to minimise the fisheye effect. https://imadio.com/products/prodpage_hemi.aspx

My reply has sort of gone off on a tangent to your original question, but it is something that I think deserves your consideration.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:59 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks for the responses, lots of options to weigh up. Unfortunately the stores didn't have any of the Samyangs on hand so I was unable to have a play. Still undecided but from the responses it looks as if the 10, 12 or 14mm may be the way to go. The 24mm f1.4 sounds nice, but it will be too narrow on my camera and the Sigmas/Tamrons are just a little more than I would like to spend at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
I don't know how keen you are on wide field astrophotography, but now is the time to give some serious consideration to a switch to full frame, something like the Canon 6D, before you lock yourself further into the crop sensor scenario.
Not too serious but I would like to take some wide field shots while the scope does it thing. A full framer is on the extended wishlist, but it won't be happening any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
I also came across this handy plug-in for Photoshop CC and Lightroom to minimise the fisheye effect. https://imadio.com/products/prodpage_hemi.aspx
How does this one differ from the one embedded within Lightroom?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 AM
JA

One of these. pref. on a full frame.....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samyang-1...gAAOSwcj1aAP-w

At that^ used price and given the performance potential it's for free

Best
JA
Old 14-11-2017, 08:57 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
One of these. pref. on a full frame.....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samyang-1...gAAOSwcj1aAP-w

At that^ used price and given the performance potential it's for free

Best
JA
Damn I just saw this now. I always miss out on the good stuff.
Old 28-11-2017, 04:07 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thought I'd update this thread as I didn't want to start a new one. With a fortunate twist of events I now own a 6D and have a little extra $$$ in my wallet. So now (pardon the pun) I'm a little lost. My situation has changed completely and has me now thinking about either getting something like the Sigma f1.8 24mm or a Samyang 16/24mm and use the left over money for a tracker (as mentioned by DarkKnight). All suggestions/opinions are welcomed.