Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-11-2017, 11:05 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

NGC253 with DSLR

A summertime fav.
I had trouble with my CCD and SGP last weekend but I didn't want to waste those precious dark still nights.
37x3 min subs at ISO1600.
Canon 1100D with CLS-CCD clip in filter and FLT 110 with 0.8 reducer/flattener.
The heat noise was hard to tame.
Comments welcome.
Bo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC253low.jpg)
175.8 KB92 views
Old 17-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Hi Bo, you've managed some really nice detail from a 4 inch scope, the seeing must have been pretty good. I shot this object from Melbourne last week as well when we had a few rare cloudless nights. Mine was taken with a modded 550d through an 8 inch f5 Newtonian. I gave it only 30mins integration at 1600 iso, so it's not as bright as your one. You can view it here and compare. Yours looks a bit pink but I'm sure that can be fixed. I used a UVIR cut filter and NB filter with mine because the modded camera shots often come out looking too red. Other than the colour, I reckon that shot's a real winner considering from where and with what it was taken with. Well done.
Old 19-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Pretty decent shot there for the equipment Bo. Good detail, but the colour is not right. Shouldn't be hard to fix.
Geoff
Old 19-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

DSLRs and heat don’t play well together :/ I wouldn’t mind getting mine out again soon but I also know that 20° overnight temperatures and long exposures don’t go well together.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:39 AM
willik (Willik)

Nice image BO and good detail most of my images in Perth in the summer
are taken at 20c my temp on the ccd -20 if I can to get a clean image most of your stars look like rugby balls like if you are not pola aligned or flexing issues if you could sought that out you images would be tops
Martin.
Old 19-11-2017, 06:35 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
Nice image BO and good detail most of my images in Perth in the summer
are taken at 20c my temp on the ccd -20 if I can to get a clean image most of your stars look like rugby balls like if you are not pola aligned or flexing issues if you could sought that out you images would be tops
Martin.
Thanks Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
DSLRs and heat don’t play well together :/ I wouldn’t mind getting mine out again soon but I also know that 20° overnight temperatures and long exposures don’t go well together.
Yep, one reason I moved to ccd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Pretty decent shot there for the equipment Bo. Good detail, but the colour is not right. Shouldn't be hard to fix.
Geoff
Thanks Geoff, colour balance isn’t my strong suit, but that’s why I need peoples feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Hi Bo, you've managed some really nice detail from a 4 inch scope, the seeing must have been pretty good. I shot this object from Melbourne last week as well when we had a few rare cloudless nights. Mine was taken with a modded 550d through an 8 inch f5 Newtonian. I gave it only 30mins integration at 1600 iso, so it's not as bright as your one. You can view it here and compare. Yours looks a bit pink but I'm sure that can be fixed. I used a UVIR cut filter and NB filter with mine because the modded camera shots often come out looking too red. Other than the colour, I reckon that shot's a real winner considering from where and with what it was taken with. Well done.
As I recall the seeing was good, but I can never tell from my light polluted back yard. I will have a go at fixing the red channel. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 20-11-2017, 10:44 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks good, Bo. A small colour tweak and it'll be even better