Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-10-2017, 02:39 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryp View Post
I the NBN was ever a good idea and a valid business proposition, The telcos would have built it themselves.
Actually before NBN faster internet (than ADSL) was already being deployed in higher populated areas. Cable, fibre, wireless... Telcos were already building various forms of fast internet but only where it was making money. And that is the catch.

Australia is a large country with lots of low-density population areas. The "industry will do it" approach does not work as the remote areas will never be profitable unless telcos can charge ridiculous amounts that nobody can afford.

If it was up to telcos the remote areas would probably still be waiting for landlines
Old 20-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Paul Haese

I didn't actually mean for this to be about an ideological debate about the two major parties in Australia. My main interest was the rollout issues where people are being missed.

As a matter of interest most people appear to be assuming the drop in speeds attainable is with node technology and copper line. However, as I understand it, the main problem with slow downs at peak times relates almost entirely to backhaul. Providers are supposed to buy enough backhaul to allow for the peak times. Without enough backhaul there becomes a bottle neck and that causes slow downs. Most providers are not buying enough backhaul and therefore cannot deliver on their promises. You can read all about backhaul and its effects on Whirlpool forums and on the NBN site.
Old 20-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Exfso (Peter)

That is correct Paul, providers are promising the world at ridiculous prices to connect as many as possible, and all this without providing anywhere near adequate backhaul to cover the customer base, let alone during peak periods. IINet are a classic, I was signed up for a 100/40 connection and off peak was getting around 95/37,(am only 150metres from node), but come 7pm till around 11pm I got speeds approaching dial up, eg 3/.6. I contacted them and they said they had improved their backhaul, but it was a blatant untruth as it showed zero signs of improvement. I eventually go TIO involved and my contract was cancelled with no fines imposed. I am now with a very reputable company that will not sign any more people than there backhaul will allow in peak times. They constantly monitor it and if speeds start to drop, they almost immediately add more and the speeds improve to that of non peak periods. Whats more they are an Australian company run from Victoria and there is virtually no waiting time to contact them, and all their operators speak Australian English to boot
As far as NBN goes, their bloody techs are useless, I had 11 visits and it was only on the final visit that an ex-Telstra tech found what was causing my dropouts, he said he spent most of his time chasing the stuff-ups that the majority of the techs caused/did not fix. In my case it was a faulty line from my home J/box to the pole out front, he diagnosed a high resistance, removed the cable and replaced and no dropouts since. All upstream and downstream very stable. But 90% of the guys that came out refused to listen to my reasons and all went through the same process which did zip. One of the techs spent an hour talking to Bloody India of all places to try to find my problem then came up with the gem that this so called guru in India had diagnosed I had RF interference and needed to move/replace my modem Yeah right
It is one thing to provide us with an inferior system, but to add insult to injury by having incompetent techs sent out to fault find, is just not on.
It is Friday night and obviously still very busy, but as you can see from my latency that there are quite a few users on my node, but the speeds are excellent. My normal latency during non peak periods is around 5ms, currently 22ms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (21-10-2017 12-04-28 AM.png)
51.6 KB40 views
Old 23-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

The original Board of the NBN consisted of people with no technical knowledge of the telecommunications or IT Industry.

This was because of a CRAZY, Crazy Idea going around that the best way to take business to a higher level was to bring in people that were not weighed down by past-knowledge (considered to limitations) of what was (not) possible. It was the Australian-business version of "Draining the Swamp".

Thus the NBN was off to a bad start and because of political rhetoric, it has never been able to get back on track.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM
doppler (Rick)

Finally the ACCC is getting some results.

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news...ation/3259884/
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Wanker.....I just want my NBN fixed .......
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1.jpg)
65.5 KB9 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 08-11-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Telstra FINALLY acknowledges our complaint, but of course, only after my complaint to the TIO. 20 to 30 drop outs/time outs a day.

I was told there would be compensation of the financial kind at least.

I just don't fathom how people claim they can't watch Netflix and moan like babies on their 25MB/s plus connections, which they complain as "slow", yet we can stream Netflix in high def on a 6MB/s connection no problem - buffering - (well, until it drops out anyway). Must be nice to get 25MB/s...the "slow" NBN...
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I just don't fathom how people claim they can't watch Netflix and moan like babies on their 25MB/s plus connections, which they complain as "slow"
Plenty of people are PAYING for 25 Mbps (or faster) NBN connections, but they aren't actually GETTING 25 Mbps (especially in peak periods, which is when most people sit down to watch Netflix).

E.g. look at Exfso's post from 20 October:
I was signed up for a 100/40 connection and off peak was getting around 95/37,(am only 150metres from node), but come 7pm till around 11pm I got speeds approaching dial up, eg 3/.6.
Try watching Netflix HD on THAT sort of connection!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Our is 6/0.3 at non-peak times and yes, can and do watch Netflix at full res (buffers in low res for about 2 minutes max).

Paying $90 a month for THAT...and that's when the speed is GOOD (other times, as I said, the connection times out or drops out)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Here you go - totally non-peak period (there are 20 houses in our area total, as we are a former RAAF base. (and no, the Defence infrastructure around us use their OWN fibre network, which sadly we can't join It is terabytes per second lol).

Fast ain't it. You need to see it when it's "peak" lol.

So, when all these people moan about their speeds, which are invariably always faster than ours, I just smile...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (speedtst.jpg)
80.0 KB23 views
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
I the NBN was ever a good idea and a valid business proposition, The telcos would have built it themselves.
nah, the telcos would never have built it themselves. ADSL was perfectly fine as far as they were concerned.

Also, the less we have Telstra controlling, the better. Telstra is the direct reason why Internet has sucked for so many years in Australia.

Onto the NBN - been on NBN FTTH since January 2017, very underwhelming, at least with the service provided by Optus. The potential great speeds are hammered by Optus not providing adequate backhaul. I've seen speeds as worse as 6/18 (down/up) on a 50/20 connection, with both Optus and the Internet Ombudsman telling me that this was perfectly AOK. There's a reason why I have ZERO respect for the Internet Ombudsman and others of their ilk. The do not serve to protect consumers, but to protect business instead, at the cost of consumers.

If the government is serious about providing Australians with a better Internet infrastructure - they need to legislatively force ISPs/RSPs to have sufficient backhaul in place at all times.

Dave

PS I spent 8 years working for an ISP. And not as a crappy "Telstra or Optus tech" who knows jack squat diddly SFA either.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:20 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Here you go - totally non-peak period (there are 20 houses in our area total, as we are a former RAAF base. (and no, the Defence infrastructure around us use their OWN fibre network, which sadly we can't join It is terabytes per second lol).

Fast ain't it. You need to see it when it's "peak" lol.

So, when all these people moan about their speeds, which are invariably always faster than ours, I just smile...
The point is not whether one person's 3 Mbps at peak hours is better or worse than another person's 7 Mbps in off-peak times. The point is that we as a nation are spending in excess of $50 billion on the NBN, and we all darn well ought to be getting a LOT more than that!

Remember when Abbott and Turnbull won the 2013 election on their mantra of "faster, cheaper, more affordable", the promise was that everybody would have at least 25 Mbps by the end of 2016 (promise well and truly broken), and 90% would have at least 50 Mbps by 2019 (extremely unlikely to be achieved - especially since the current NBN plan is for deployment to be completed by the end of 2020).

The simple fact is that the MTM is not physically capable of achieving these speeds in many cases, it is much more expensive to operate and maintain than fibre, and it isn't actually being deployed any cheaper or significantly faster than the previous FTTP model.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
A little history lesson will demonstrate why this wasn't going to happen, and why a government-built NBN was the only way.

The particular problem we had in Australia is that because of a series of very poor policy choices in the 1990s and 2000s, Telstra had a monopoly over fixed line telecom services, and used its monopoly powers exactly in accordance with classic economic theory - for the financial interests of their shareholders, not for the public good. Why would they spend money investing in new infrastructure when you already have 100% market share? Such expansion of services as did happen was done purely as "cherry-picking" of areas that had high returns (business centres, high-density upper-quartile income suburbs, major corporates, etc), but there was never any intent to provide ubiquitous high-speed broadband to the whole country.

They also used their monopoly position to stamp out competition. Remember the "cable wars" of the 1900s?

The Telstra (later Foxtel) cable was originally planned to pass 1.1 million homes by 1996. The intention was purely to supply Pay TV into wealthy areas with disposable income; it had nothing to do with "expanding Australia telecoms infrastructure". (It wasn't even designed to carry telephone services - a legacy we are still feeling today, as it is being re-purposed for the MTM.)

In 1994, Optus announced it would build its own HFC network to pass 2.77 million homes, but by and large covering areas not in the Foxtel "footprint", so there would have been something like 4 million homes with access to one or the other cable, but in most cases, not both.

Telstra countered by expanding their network to cover 4 million homes, by over-building the Optus footprint (which is why so many capital city streets have two cables, while other areas have none).

Optus couldn't match Telstra's spend and market dominance, and cut back their planned roll-out in 1997, when it became obvious they couldn't win the war with Telstra; Telstra subsequently cut back their own roll-out -
it was pretty apparent that their roll-out scale-up was purely about market dominance, nothing to do with the "common good", or giving customers a choice. With the competition wiped out, there was no longer any commercial need to expand, even though most Australian residences still don't have access to cable.

Optus basically wrote off its investment in cable in 2002, and never really recovered, so their maintenance spending was inadequate - which was demonstrated when the NBN paid $800 million to acquire the Optus HFC network, and then declared it unfit for service as part of the MTM.

https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files...20May%2008.pdf

That's what happens when you leave it to free-market monopolies to look after Australia's telecom infrastructure needs.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Telstra tech arrived on time (shock of shocks!), and went straight to the cable entry point outside. Plugged in his phone thingy and computer to see the connected node, ran a diagnostic, and audibly exclaimed "$h1t". Said the wires on our side was fine, but the node was showing issues. He was gone for 2 hours or so, and came back and said he had changed over ports for us as the old one was suspect. He also said there was NO ADSL 2 infrastructure on the node at all, so we are stuck for "legacy" ADSL 1 until NBN descends upon us in a funk and gloom sometime next year.

Ran some speed tests - now 8.2 Mb/s (wow lol), but upload still craptacular 0.3. Ping time still same.

So far not a single drop out or time out. VERY solid connection so far.

Knowing Telstra, the port we were on was probably over-sold.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Yes, the LNP floated the idea of the NBN. The LNP rolled out the NBN. The LNP shooks the hands of those first connected with the NBN.

Yes, this is all the LNP's fault, everything about the NBN was the LNP's doing, the ALP had nothing to do with the NBN.

O' yes, the Easter Bunny is making Sant's deliveries this Christmas.
I thank the ALP every single damn day, because I was lucky enough get their NBN - full FTTP
Old 13-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
The point is not whether one person's 3 Mbps at peak hours is better or worse than another person's 7 Mbps in off-peak times. The point is that we as a nation are spending in excess of $50 billion on the NBN, and we all darn well ought to be getting a LOT more than that!

Remember when Abbott and Turnbull won the 2013 election on their mantra of "faster, cheaper, more affordable", the promise was that everybody would have at least 25 Mbps by the end of 2016 (promise well and truly broken), and 90% would have at least 50 Mbps by 2019 (extremely unlikely to be achieved - especially since the current NBN plan is for deployment to be completed by the end of 2020).

The simple fact is that the MTM is not physically capable of achieving these speeds in many cases, it is much more expensive to operate and maintain than fibre, and it isn't actually being deployed any cheaper or significantly faster than the previous FTTP model.
A good Conservative Leader would have apologized for the stupidity of the Rudd Gillard NBN, then pulled the plug on the entire thing, thus saving Billions! The Rudd Gillard NBN was never anything more than a thought bubble and it should never have seen the light of day.
Turnbull, is not a good Conservative Leader, he is nothing more than an Ex-Merchant Banker, the bottom-most dwelling iteration of that most loathsome class of individuals, the Banker.
Proof the Tunbull is unfit to hold office... "Remember when Abbott and Turnbull won the 2013 election on their mantra of "faster, cheaper, more affordable", the promise was that everybody would have at least 25 Mbps by the end of 2016 (promise well and truly broken), and 90% would have at least 50 Mbps by 2019 (extremely unlikely to be achieved - especially since the current NBN plan is for deployment to be completed by the end of 2020)" This was the opportunity to bite the bullet and can the NBN. Sucking up the penalties would have been far cheaper than running with the thought bubble NBN.
The Nation desperately needs someone not tainted by the Political Class to come to office, as to where such an individual may hail, well... certainly not from the ALP and increasingly unlikely from the LNP. The nations Political Class is rotten to the core and desperately needs reform or we may see another NBN type fiasco develop. Our Nation can't afford another NBN, or Pink Batts disaster, we as a Nation requires sound Governance, and we clearly won't find such governance from within our Political Class.
Old 13-11-2017, 09:33 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
A good Conservative Leader would have apologized for the stupidity of the Rudd Gillard NBN, then pulled the plug on the entire thing, thus saving Billions! The Rudd Gillard NBN was never anything more than a thought bubble and it should never have seen the light of day.
Turnbull, is not a good Conservative Leader, he is nothing more than an Ex-Merchant Banker, the bottom-most dwelling iteration of that most loathsome class of individuals, the Banker.
Proof the Tunbull is unfit to hold office... "Remember when Abbott and Turnbull won the 2013 election on their mantra of "faster, cheaper, more affordable", the promise was that everybody would have at least 25 Mbps by the end of 2016 (promise well and truly broken), and 90% would have at least 50 Mbps by 2019 (extremely unlikely to be achieved - especially since the current NBN plan is for deployment to be completed by the end of 2020)" This was the opportunity to bite the bullet and can the NBN. Sucking up the penalties would have been far cheaper than running with the thought bubble NBN.
The Nation desperately needs someone not tainted by the Political Class to come to office, as to where such an individual may hail, well... certainly not from the ALP and increasingly unlikely from the LNP. The nations Political Class is rotten to the core and desperately needs reform or we may see another NBN type fiasco develop. Our Nation can't afford another NBN, or Pink Batts disaster, we as a Nation requires sound Governance, and we clearly won't find such governance from within our Political Class.
Wow...
Old 13-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

There will always be lots of variation. Mine seems to work very well at my work (see attached) but I can't get NBN at all at my home and currently never will. I have ADSL of varying speeds and can watch low res foxtel now as long as all other devices are turned off. This includes making sure all phones aren't uploading in the background.
They offer satellite but this is poorer than the ADSL. There are fixed wireless towers nearby but they need line of sight and won't go through trees. I could erect a 50m tower to solve this but this costs $$$.The map shows our property in a NBN hole surrounded by service. This is a pest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nbn.PNG)
51.0 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (speed test.PNG)
77.8 KB8 views