Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Astrorish (Rishi)
Pitier

Event in Brisbane?

Hi everybody, my wife and I are visiting Australia for a couple of weeks and are in Brisbane at present. Just wondered if there are any Astro events/outreach or public viewing happening from today till Saturday? Something that we can get to without the use of a car? Thanks, Rishi
Old 26-10-2017, 01:13 PM
thunderchildobs

have a look at

http://www.bas.asn.au/

There is a free public viewing on Saturday.

Brendan
Old 26-10-2017, 10:33 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

if you dont mind travelling a bit south, theres an "International Observe the moon night" at Mt Tambourine, Gold Coast on this Saturday. It's hosted by SAS and will have fun talks and observing with BBQ
Old 27-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

AstroAnarchy are also hosting an Observe the Moon in the Brisbane CBD tomorrow.

As we are between New Moon and Full Moon, there’s not a good dark sky anywhere until after midnight, and least of all in the City!
Old 01-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Astrorish (Rishi)
Pitier

Hi again everybody, thank you all for your responses and PM’s! Unfortunately we didn’t get a chance to get to any outreach events and the skies were uncooperative anyway; it’s like I was still in the UK! I was however very excited to find a proper astronomy showroom in a shopping mall in the city centre of Brisbane - Anarchy Astro in the Myer centre!! I’ve never come across anything like this in a time when astro shops are going online only or closing down. Was fun looking at more than just the usual department store toy scopes.

We’ve moved on now from Brisbane and are at present driving from Adelaide to Melbourne via the Grampians and then great ocean road. Last night was again clouded out, hopefully I’ll get to see some stars from a rural location en route.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrorish View Post
Hi again everybody, thank you all for your responses and PM’s! Unfortunately we didn’t get a chance to get to any outreach events and the skies were uncooperative anyway; it’s like I was still in the UK! I was however very excited to find a proper astronomy showroom in a shopping mall in the city centre of Brisbane - Anarchy Astro in the Myer centre!! I’ve never come across anything like this in a time when astro shops are going online only or closing down. Was fun looking at more than just the usual department store toy scopes.

We’ve moved on now from Brisbane and are at present driving from Adelaide to Melbourne via the Grampians and then great ocean road. Last night was again clouded out, hopefully I’ll get to see some stars from a rural location en route.
If you end up in Canberra during your visit send me a PM, I am happy to take the 18" out for some observing.....
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Astrorish (Rishi)
Pitier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
If you end up in Canberra during your visit send me a PM, I am happy to take the 18" out for some observing.....
Hi Matt, thank you for the kind offer but sadly we never made it to Canberra, we just caught the flight back today from Melbourne (the plane has limited free WiFi - we’ve just left Aussie airspace now). The weather in sa and Victoria was cloudy on our route so no stargazing this time. An 18in under dark Aussie skies with Southern Hemisphere stars would have been amazing. I have to say you guys (usually) have it so much better for astronomy than we in he uk! I read your Tak star party thread - I mean taks under dark southern skies... does it get any sweeter than that?!