Old 28-07-2020, 07:21 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

ASI6200MM/MC impressions

Hi all,

I've been doing OSC for the past 5 years (with a cooled mirrorless CentralDS A7S, so it's not really a proper dedicated astro camera) and beginning of this year I picked up my first dedicated mono, the ASI6200MM rig with matching EFW2, ZWO 2" LRGBNB filters, OAG, ASI174MM Mini & ASIAir Pro.

It took a few months to put everything together with custom adapters (thanks to Joshua Bunn) and finally got proper first light last week.

Moving from the cooled A7S mirrorless, I found acquisition on a dedicated astro camera to be a PITA cos on the A7S where I could switch to a really high ISO to frame, I could zoom to focus in real time (rather than 1-2 sec subs).

Acquisition on the A7S was also simpler for me since the camera was the computer. However the dedicated astro camera, control is external on some PC (or in my case, the ASIAir Pro).

Having said that though, the dedicated astro rig however provided a much greater control - temperature, dithering between shots, etc.

And finally the benefit of the ASI6200MM is that it produced really really clean outputs - darks, lights, etc. Whilst with the A7S acquisition was simple, processing was tedious. However with the ASI6200MM, acquisition was tedious, but processing to produce masters were buttery.

I've not had such clean signals ever, nice tight stars.

Using the ASIAir Pro, I did not experience any driver issues. I don't have a NUC/miniPC therefore I can't comment on 3rd party s/w compatibility. However I have tested N.I.N.A v1.10 with the camera and EFW2, and didn't encounter any issues.

The following M16 was taken in SHO with a total integration of 13.67 hrs (4x Ha in 600sec subs, 4.67x Oiii in 300sec subs, 5x Sii in 600sec subs). The OTA is the Takahashi µ250CRS.

I preordered the ASI6200MM in Dec '19, as I felt the QHY600 was too expensive, even though they had at the Pro version at the Photographer's price. Seeing some of the inconsistent driver issues with the QHY600, I'm kinda glad I stuck to ZWO. I'd guess in time though QHY would fix their driver issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SHO_Final_small.jpeg)
191.7 KB142 views
Click for full-size image (PillarsOfCreation.jpg)
134.9 KB140 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3831.jpg)
122.3 KB71 views
Old 28-07-2020, 08:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Nice, I just could not quite sell myself on the total cost.

Not free, but have a look at Voyager. The web dashboard and virtual field of view incorporated in that along with plate solving is a great tool for framing. The demo version works for an hour at a time and lets you get your gear set up, then you could activate the trial and have 45 days to get some impression on full use.

Last edited by The_bluester; 29-07-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 28-07-2020, 11:35 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Cheers Paul. Once I get a mini PC I’ll look into Voyager too.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:12 AM
gregbradley

Congrats on your new camera and setup.

That image is very good and similar to what I got from my CDK17 and Microline 16.

Greg.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:39 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Look good.

No obvious balls with the ZWO narrowband filters. Did you do any processing to remove halos?

DT
Old 29-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nice shot

What sort of newt are you imaging with? Doesn’t appear to be bothered by a full frame sensor.

FWIW, you can dial up the “ISO” when framing...use the gain control it’s the same thing.
Old 29-07-2020, 11:22 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Congrats on your new camera and setup.

That image is very good and similar to what I got from my CDK17 and Microline 16.

Greg.
Yours is a much more sophisticated setup than mine Greg . Your images have been goals of where I aspire mine to be in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Look good.

No obvious balls with the ZWO narrowband filters. Did you do any processing to remove halos?

DT
I didn't do anything specific to remove the halos. I've attached a delineared Oiii Master and some previews of the brighter ones and there is a halo there. Probably cos the stars aren't bright enough, like Alnitak or something like that for the halo to reveal itself.

However I have to say at least to my n00b eyes, the ZWO NB filters aren't as bad as I originally thought. I actually had started conversations with Antlia sales to buy their filters but, maybe I Could get away with the ZWO ones for a little while longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Nice shot

What sort of newt are you imaging with? Doesn’t appear to be bothered by a full frame sensor.

FWIW, you can dial up the “ISO” when framing...use the gain control it’s the same thing.
So it's not a Newt but a modified Dall-Kirkham cassegrain. It's a Takahashi µ250CRS, 250mm primary with a focal length of 2500mm and it's corrected. It's the successor of the former Takahashi µ250 which was also a 250mm but 3000mm focal length. Takahashi did release a CR corrector accessory for the µ250, but due to misc motorised focuser OEM issues amongst other things, they just decided to come up with the µ250CRS with the CR corrector built-in and sourced a new motor for the electronic focuser.

W.R.T. the ISO for the ASI6200MM, I guess i could increase the gain to 100 & Bin 4x4 to reduce exp duration for the subs and quicker download to the iPad, but comparatively with the A7S which is a LiveView at 409600 video, framing is still a lot quicker than taking 1 sec subs, moving the paddle, then taking another 1 sec sub, etc.

Similarly W.R.T. autoguiding, the Vixen AXD mount's StarBook Ten with the Advanced Unit accessory, guiding is actually done with a CCD video camera, so it's an actual live-feed in guiding, as opposed to PHD2 1-3 sec subs & correcting. Having said that though, the Vixen Advanced Unit does not have dithering which is a huge bummer.

Overall, for me it's merely just having to adapt myself to a new workflow and given time I'll get used to it and will stop *****ing .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Oiii_Master.jpg)
90.5 KB99 views
Click for full-size image (Oiii_Master_Preview01.jpg)
122.7 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (Oiii_Master_Preview02.jpg)
78.4 KB69 views
Old 29-07-2020, 09:56 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Thanks for the reply about halos.

Not as bad as some describe. I wonder if it being an f10 scope has something to do with that.

DT
Old 29-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’ve noticed that halos become worse is faster optical instruments so it’s not surprising that they’re not too bad with the F10 M250 but the later generation ZWO filters are also a lot better than the earlier ones.

I do keep looking at the QHY600/ASI6200MM as a one camera solution but no decisions yet or for a while me thinks hehe
Old 29-07-2020, 10:47 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

looking good Sean, gotta be happy with those star shapes
Old 29-07-2020, 11:32 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Thanks for the adapters Joshua! Top quality work, mate!!
Old 29-07-2020, 11:33 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’ve noticed that halos become worse is faster optical instruments so it’s not surprising that they’re not too bad with the F10 M250 but the later generation ZWO filters are also a lot better than the earlier ones.

I do keep looking at the QHY600/ASI6200MM as a one camera solution but no decisions yet or for a while me thinks hehe
I've got a Pentax 125SDP with a reducer too. Should bring me to F4.9. I've just been a little lazy to take it out but I should to test the adapter. Will share it here once I've done some test shots.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:37 AM
gregbradley

Pentax 125 SDP and reducer is a rare scope. I remember Bruce Karbal of Astromart fame back about 10 years ago had one.

A bit like an FSQ130 I imagine.

Greg.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

When the 125SDP offer came up, I had a choice of pick it up & add it to my 250CRS, or sell the 250CRS & consolidated the funds to pick up the FSQ130ED.

I opted to have 2 scopes of different focal lengths instead of owning 1 scope. Now the FSQ130 is obsolete, it’s made me ponder if I made the right decision. I’ve used the 125SDP only once in the past 5 years.