Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2014, 09:18 PM
mark3d

Can you please critique my observing session plan for the weekend 21st/22nd Feb 2014?

Hello all,

I have planned an observing session for the weekend from a reasonably dark site (outside the metro area at least), and am keen to hear feedback, particularly anything I have missed that I should look out for.

I might not be able to find all of these, and some may be too dim to see, but that's OK - it's not necessarily a checklist. I'm hoping to get good looks at Jupiter, Mars and even Saturn if I'm up late enough, so I think there is lots to see, I don't think we'll be bored...

Nebulae are particularly desirable and well, if I could see a galaxy, I'd consider that a real success.

Observing plan (google spreadsheet)

(the 4th column is just some notes for my own reference, I find it adds so much when you can tell people a bit about what they're seeing)
Old 19-02-2014, 10:09 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

It looks like a reasonable list with plenty of variety.
Have you considered that the moon will rise about 10:30 and what this will do to your observing?

Now that you have given notice of your plan we expect to see a report on Sunday
Old 19-02-2014, 10:15 PM
mark3d

Thanks Michael.

Happy to provide a report!

Regarding the moon, it should be 1/2 by the weekend, so not ideal but could be worse (reminds me of Easter weekend - everything is perfect for astronomy - camping under a dark sky - until the moon rises!). Are you suggesting I don't aim for too much stuff near the moon? (or at least not expect to see anything of high magnitude!)
Old 19-02-2014, 10:29 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

You should get about 2hours of darkness before the moon rises, so make use of that time on the dim objects.

Even at quarter moon you may struggle with anything near it. The rest of the sky will start to brighten as the moon rises but you can still find many objects.

When you are ready to pull up stumps have a good look at the moon.
Old 20-02-2014, 09:04 AM
mark3d

Thanks Michael, I added the magnitudes and that makes a big difference to the order - I don't suppose there is any chance of seeing the magnitude 8 things with the moon, so I'll look for them first. Thanks!
Old 20-02-2014, 10:55 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

A few galaxies for the weekend...

Hi Mark,

There is one way to see dimmer objects with the Moon rising - view in the direction furthest from the Moon. These will be the lease affected for longest. If you have a 10" scope, you will have no problem viewing mag 8 objects. The Moon's phase this weekend is not it's worst, so working with it isn't mission impossible.

Galaxy wise, there is plenty on offer. The one's I'm listing won't be a problem for you 10". Only one, the last one noted, could be just too late to view by the time the Moon rises.

* M65, M66 and NGC 3628 in Leo. These are a trio of galaxies all very close to each other, and all visible in the one field of view (low power). These are all at different angles to us, one is quite round, another ovoid, and the third, and faintest, is nearly edge on.

* M95, M96 & M105 in Leo. Another fine trio all visible in the same FOV.

All six of these galaxies are in the mag 9 range, and all EASISLY canon fodder for your 10". In fact, I saw the M65 trio from my home in Sydney two weeks ago through a 10". You will have no problem if you are anywhere in a relatively dark site!

* M87 in Virgo. You will need to have a decent view to the north to spot this Monster. If your northern horizon is clear, this colossus of an elliptical galaxy is also easy, even in small scopes. It will appear as a globular cluster that just won't resolve into its component stars. I managed this sucker from home once too, looking through the light dome of Sydney's CBD. Bright bugger for a galaxy too at mag 8.6.

* M104 in Virgo. Now we're talking sexy! This bugger can prove illusive to find at first. But once pinned, it takes magnification really, really well. For it being edge on to us, the dust lane shows a lot of detail. Bright too at mag 8.3.

* NGC 5128 in Centaurus. At mag 7 it is one of the brighter galaxies, but it is spread over a relatively large area so it can appear faint. The "Hamburger" galaxy is very close to Omega Centauri too. I've seen it from a dark site using just a 6X30 finder, so you won't have trouble seeing it in your 10" scope.

* M83 in Hydra. It is one of the few spiral galaxies that we can see its spiral structure. You might have a chance to see it two of its arms with patience and not being afraid to up the magnification with it in your 10", but it will test you big time. The main problem with M83 this weekend is the Moon will be hard on its heels. Next weekend will it will be a better proposition.

Like a few more?

Mental.
Old 20-02-2014, 01:43 PM
mark3d

Wow, that is amazing!

It sounds like I'm doing something wrong if I can't find a galaxy.

I can see that I really do need to learn some more constellations, it will help.

I'll be going to the astro society viewing the following week at a proper dark site, so this list will be good for then too!

Thanks Mental.
Old 20-02-2014, 08:33 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Mark
The Leo Triplet of M65, M66 and NGC 3628 that Alex has mentioned, is very easy to find and a big thrill when you find it. NGC 3628 is much fainter than the others so you need to do it before the moon affects your sky.
I you need some star hopping notes for it I will dig them out for you.

Another cluster worth considering before the moon comes up is the Hydra 1 cluster. NGC 3311 and 3312 should be easy and there are several others which may be getable with your 10" if the conditions are good.

Malcolm
Old 20-02-2014, 09:27 PM
mark3d

Hey thanks Malcolm, excited about seeing some galaxies, M65 cluster are first on the list. I will add NGC 3311 and NGC 3312!

I have had good success so far with the homemade setting circles so I will be finding these by push to. I do want to learn more in the future to be able to find my own way around.
Old 20-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Are you going to Stockport, Mark? I'm planning to head up there for the ASSA session on Saturday...
Old 20-02-2014, 10:16 PM
mark3d

Hi Barry, that's the plan - new ASSA members! Do they open the big telescope on member viewing nights? Just curious.
Old 20-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I think one of them is out of commission currently, but the other ones should be open. I presume you'll bring your own gear too? Anyway, I look forward to meeting you there - the weather looks like it will be cooperating!
Old 23-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Mark, did you end up going to Stockport last night? I didn't get to meet you, unfortunately. It was beautiful clear skies, although the pub music nearby left a bit to be desired - hardy a cosmic symphony!
Old 23-02-2014, 01:21 PM
mark3d

Hi Barry, no I was planning to go next week. We looked forlornly at the dark, clear skies, but couldn't get the scope out.

Friday night we did, and here's my observing report. The Wixey angle meter had a flat battery, so the dependence on technology meant I couldn't find much stuff. Then the clouds rolled in. We saw Jupiter and M42 and that's about all!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Mark,

I only just noticed your thread and I am late to the party.

I see you have NGC2264 (Cone Nebula) on your list. NGC2264 also applies to the adjacent Christmas Tree Cluster. You would be able to see the Xmas tree cluster very easily in your 10" scope, as it is Mag 3.9.

The Cone Nebula itself is a very different target and very much harder to see. It is really exceedingly difficult to see in any telescope under 16" aperture, and even then requires a skilled observer and very dark skies. I have spent a good bit of time on this target in 18" to 30" telescopes. By all means try for it under favourable conditions, but it's not easy in a medium aperture scope. The point of the cone starts at the tip of the Xmas tree and runs directly away from the Xmas tree with the same central axis.

If you are looking for targets to observe at different times you could download my 600 target observing list (excel spreadsheet) and then sort it by "best month to observe", or sort it by RA and this will group the targets so they are appropriately grouped for any given time of the year.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-638-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers
John B