Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 31-08-2016, 01:36 PM
leon

Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORT Lens, What do you Think

Hi Guys, I am considering purchasing a Sigma 150-600 F5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORT Lens, and have done quite a bit of research on this particular one.

From what I have learnt, is that it seems to be up there with some of the better lenses, is well built, quite heavy, and takes some pretty good images.

Just asking if anyone has one of these lenses, and what they feel about it, or maybe someone has some for and against information.

Thank You

Leon
Old 31-08-2016, 02:20 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I recall reading a while ago a rule of thumb - the bigger the zoom range, the lower the quality of image. Broad brush statement, but I think what it alludes to is that it's hard to manufacture a lens that's sharp across such a range of focal lengths. Usually they have a sweet spot somewhere. Maybe the comments were based on "pixel-peepers" and in the real world you may not notice the difference. Not sure.

Another thought - check that you'll still get autofocus. If memory serves, you need at least f/5.6 wide open to get AF on Canons? So at the 600mm end where it's f/6.3 wide open, you may not get AF to work and will be forced to manual focus. Not sure, just make sure you check.

Should point out that comment above is nothing against Sigma. I have 2 Sigma lenses and they're great - among the sharpest lenses I have. I would have made the same comment about Canon-made lenses. I have the Canon 100-400 and don't reckon it's anywhere near as sharp as the Canon 400/5.6.
Old 31-08-2016, 03:01 PM
leon

Thanks Troy, for your informative response, from what I can gather the AF is good across the full range.

However I have a good friend in the Camera and Lens business at Ballarat Camera House who I will be visiting tomorrow and I will see what his opinion is on this particular Lens.

I will be taking my Canon Body with me and will be able to actually shot with it and take home the results.

Also from my research it is stated that the Contemporary Lens of this size and model is quite different to the Sports model, which is of a heavy robust construction, a little bit larger in in diameter and length, and apparently water/oil resistant on both the front and rear elements.

Thank again.

Leon
Old 01-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Leon

Just a few ramblings from me Leon, as I have no experience with this lens.

I have seen a few photos of birds (static – on branches, etc.) taken with this (Sports) lens (on various photography forums) and they looked very impressive. The detail in the feathers was excellent and the sharpness across the frame was also excellent without appearing over-sharpened or pushed too hard.

I’m not too sure how much variation there is in image quality between various copies of this lens and what can be adjusted in terms of Canon’s micro-adjustment if a lens either back focuses or front focuses.

I also suspect that the user has a significant role to play in terms of shooting technique. Some folks can shoot at insanely low shutter speeds and still produce sharp images whereas others “jab” at the shutter release and produce varying degrees of camera shake.

I have seen these lenses in the shops and they do look big and heavy!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Just to say I'm selling one of these for a friend at the moment but it is for a Nikon. I played with the lens for a day in the D810 and the lens is incredible. I loved it!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM
leon

Thanks Dennis, from what i have read and researched they seem to be up there with some of the best.
That's unfortunate Chris, now if it were Canon I would certainly be interested.

Leon
Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Just to say I'm selling one of these for a friend at the moment but it is for a Nikon. I played with the lens for a day in the D810 and the lens is incredible. I loved it!
Umm - Chris, where you selling and how much? Happy to switch to pm to avoid thread hijacking...
Old 05-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Thanks Dennis, from what i have read and researched they seem to be up there with some of the best.
That's unfortunate Chris, now if it were Canon I would certainly be interested.

Leon
Hi Leon

If you have 13 or 14 mins to spare, take a look at this Tony Northrup YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgur...33K69dzq3dNq-o

It’s a "his and hers" comparison of the Canon 100-400 II, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Tamron 150-600 and Canon 400 f5.6 lenses.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 PM
leon

Thanks for that, will have a look shortly.

Leon
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM
leon

Had a look at the Video Dennis, very interesting, it seems that the Sigma is up there with some of the better lenses, but dose have a lot of weight to carry around.

we will see.

Leon
Old 05-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Had a look at the Video Dennis, very interesting, it seems that the Sigma is up there with some of the better lenses, but dose have a lot of weight to carry around.

we will see.

Leon
Hi Leon

Yeah – I understand that Tony Northrup tends to use these lenses in “real world” situations and that differences only begin to emerge when pixel peeping, or making heavy crops.

I once had a Canon 300mm F4 L that I was very disappointed with, even tripod mounted, so I retuned it under warranty and it was found to be front focusing (my Canon 40D does not have Micro Focus Adjust) and when replaced, all was well.

The impression I am getting is that provided you have good copies of the lens, it is often poor technique that produces a soft image rather than the lens itself?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 05-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Derek Klepp

Leon I don,t have this lense but have a few sigmas and they are all of excellent quality.I have the canon 100-400mk 2 and it is very similar in sharpness To the 400f5.6.I also have the older Tamron 150-600 which I now use exclusively for Sunrise and Set close ups .In all cases the primes are going to be superior but the versatility of this lens (the Sigma you are looking at)is what it's about.And from all reports its very good.With the 100-400 I find Iam wanting for more hence I now have the 500.As for the weight you may need a good tripod head and be careful with any ball head arrangement .
I think that for value for money range and portability you are on a winner with the Sigma..Good luck and definitely get a hands on feel for it .As for sharpness I have found that all my zoom lenses have optimal performance ranges and even the primes seem to have an optimal distance where the image has the most detail.I also think aperture plays a crucial role in camera lenses and the Sigma is 95mm if I remember so all that will help.
Derek
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
leon

Thanks Derek, I expect I will be getting this particular Lens in the near future, however i would like to get a feel for it prior to purchasing.

This may happen in a week or two as my good friend at Ballarat Camera House told me he could get it in for me with out any obligation to buy, which is good, and I will be able hook up my Canon body and take some shots through the entire range and check them out on the Computer.

Thank you for your response, and in regard to the tripod and head, I have a very solid tripod and a Gimble head for it, so that should be satisfactory.

As for the Aperture, I think it is bigger than 95mm as the filter for the front of Lens is 105mm, however I am not sure on that.

Leon