Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 19-06-2019, 09:43 PM
philr (Philip)

meade LX90 getting too heavy

The reason why I am selling my astronomy gear is because it is getting too heavy for me to set up. I am not able to have it set up on a permanent basis as I have it stored in my garage under the house and carry the tripod up about 13 stairs and then go back down to take the telescope up.If I can sell what I have, then I may be able to buy a smaller scope which is not so bulky.
Old 19-06-2019, 09:55 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Phil,
build a dumb waiter.
Greg.
Old 19-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by taminga16 View Post
Phil,
build a dumb waiter.
Greg.

In case unknown

A dumb waiter is a manually operated lift for serving food raising it from the kitchen to the dining room

Where would it be built
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dw.jpg)
104.3 KB41 views
Old 20-06-2019, 02:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Is there no way that you can store it on the top level. Presumably you are getting on so perhaps decide to arrange the top level to accomodate your needs not have it set up to please others with a conventional lay out...it may mean a large cupboard in a conspicuous position but is that too outrageous if it can save your hobby. If you partner wont let you have your stuff upstairs point out that is a cruel and selfish attitude as it does not accomodate your failing health.
Going smaller...you will still have to move your stuff up and down the stairs. I purchased a heq5 and 80mm to make things easier but I still make the same number of trips up and down the stairs so dont fall for the illusion that going smaller changes everything. What is preventing storing your gear upstairs? If you have space please dont tell me its a guest bedroom or a formal dining that you keep to satisfy others on some rare occassions at the expense of your hobby. One works to survive and support the family but heck you deserve to do exactly what you what also... Life is short and finite and despite promises that there is more one can be confident that planing just for this one wont leave you disappointed....so review what is important to you and make rules and changes to accomodate the fact that you must have your desires and needs addressed.
After all if you are realistic you may realise that you may not not have many years left where you can do your hobby at all...how many do you recon?
If it is a case of a partner not accomodating you to have a small area upstairs you must put your foot down and if you dont perhaps just give up astronomy...up and down the stairs is probably unnecessary unless your top floor is a single room devoid of any area that can store a scope and mount which I would find extrordinary really.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 20-06-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 20-06-2019, 11:41 AM
taminga16 (Greg)

In case unknown

"A dumb waiter is a manually operated lift for serving food raising it from the kitchen to the dining room

Where would it be built"

Over the side of the area that the 13 steps lead to.

Greg.
Old 20-06-2019, 11:50 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I acquired a permanent physical disabilty as result of a stroke (though tiny tiny chance i can get fund to get treatment). But I didn't just throw in the towel so quickly.

I had to downsize and readjust my areas of interest in astronomy to what I could manage. Part of that is putting my smaller scope on a tripod dolly so I could wheel it outside (no lifting, ever!). you may need wheelchair ramps at a doorway to outside to let you put an assembled wheely cope indoors. rethink your options, dont just say "no" and walk away. well you can if you want but you'll get no sympathy from me.
Old 20-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Yes, it's a problem and I know where you are coming from.

My back issues have resulted in my not having set up my 14.5" dob for about five years, and I haven't taken my 8" SCT out for over two years.

But I still have great fun with my short tube 80mm ED and 100mm achromat refractors, both mounted on camera tripods with Celestron/Vixen slow motion controls (i can carry each out with one hand), and with my 127mm Mak on its alt-azimuth mount (I need two hands for this, but it doesn't weigh that much).
Regards,
Renato