Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM
xflashjordan231 (Jono)

Astrophotography set up problems

Hello Everyone

I'm very new to this and im enjoying looking through my scope but I'm having issues trying to get pictures. I connect my Nikon 3400 dslr to my skywatcher 150/750 with the Nikon o'ring and celestron T adaptor and have learnt that if I remove the sight that come with the scope I can get an image on the camera lsd and view finder but when I take a pic its just leaves blank white screen after it just showed the image. Any help would be great...I have the dslr on maual with the other feautres on auto. is it an iso or focus problem. strange that the image is there ready to be captured but once I shoot its just white. Connect the correct camera lens back on it works fine and takes pictures no problem..
Old 05-04-2017, 02:36 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Its exposure, camera lenses have electronics to allow the camera to do Auto---whatever. A telescope doesn't, so YOU need to use the camera in Manual mode only and tell it all the settings for exposure. The image in live view is a view split out from the lens so you can see what its pointed at but its NOT what the exposure of the photo will look like.

The viewfinder and live view should show you if you have focused corrected, there is NO Autofocus, no auto exposure no auto anything really when on a telescope, its all manual so its up to you. change things one at a time and take test shots to see the changes and learn what works for you and your gear.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Jono.
Besides setting the camera to work manually, you will have to change the Camera's ISO settings.
Start at ISO1000.
Have your White balance set to daylight.
Noise reduction set to High.
If you have a remote, use either Mirror-up or 2 second delay before taking the image.
Look up Google on how to make a Bathinov focusing mask to fit over the scope.
Cheers!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:54 PM
xflashjordan231 (Jono)

Smile

Thanks for the help guys. I have it where i can get some photos which is a good start. I use the nikon oring but celstron t adaptor seems useless. It is exactly the same as a 2x barlow. I believe i might need a proper adapter.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflashjordan231 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I have it where i can get some photos which is a good start. I use the nikon oring but celstron t adaptor seems useless. It is exactly the same as a 2x barlow. I believe i might need a proper adapter.
In what way "useless" you talking magnification? because the adapter wont change that. If build quality, a good fitting metal adapter is best (matte black finish to reduce reflections).

Also the focuser assembly on the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly: the telescope tube itself) is designed to hold the small mass of an eyepiece up close to the assembly, not a heavy DSLR held several inches further out. So parts of it can bend slightly causing distortion in the image. As you experiment and learn the moon is a great target to test things out and easier to find in the sky when its up. Achieving focus can be difficult and while a barlow can give you magnification it also puts the camera further out so increasing stress on the focuser. If you are on a tracking EQ setup this is also enough to upset the balance of the rig to effect tracking. Plus it adds stress to tracking motors.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:20 PM
xflashjordan231 (Jono)

With the camera adapter which is exactly the same as the 2x barlow (unless im missing something) i can only use one cheap lense. I also need to remove the part that the lense piece would sit it in on the telescope. Otherwise there would be to much magnification. Here i can get a clear picture with the camera but scope and camera arent actually connected anymore. Camera just losely sits in the barrel hole. I have purchased a deluxe camera adapter kit which i think will solve the issue.
I have tried the adapter in every possibly way and the way it seems to mount correctly gives to much magnification.
I have a photo from last night which i will post which im happy with for a start.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

You shouldn't need any barlow or lenses between the camera body and the telescope.
Normally you would use a 1.25" (or 2" depending on your focuser) with a T thread end. This then screws into a T2 thread adaptor on the camera body (effectively replacing the camera lens)
This arrangement should allow you to use the telescope (manually) as a great big telephoto lens!!!
Focusing the image using the focuser on the telescope.
Does that may any sense??
can you upload an image of your set-up??