Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-03-2017, 09:45 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Suavi,

Well I have just done it! Sent the deposit for a 132mm F6.9 tonight.
I must say you are correct, Catalin is a delight to deal with.
Interestingly, the 132mm is listed as a limited edition with 10 being made. I would have thought this meant they made 10 lenses and would assemble the tubes as orders came in. In fact it is the opposite - tubes are all ready waiting for lenses.
Hopefully will have this scope by springtime!

Thanks for your encouragement.
John
Old 22-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

That's wonderful John. Really happy for you.

Having fine glass hand figured especially for you by a master optician and then skilfully assembled into a mechanically excellent telescope is quite unique IMO, and therefore using such fine equipment adds joy to this passion of ours
Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

A quick update.

Camera adapters unexpectedly arrived today!

Took only 33 days to get here...I was told by the postman these were held up at the airport...honestly we thought these were lost and Catalin kindly offered to make a new set.

Anyway, I am now ready to get back to astrophotography! Happy days! These adapters are very solid and weigh nearly 400 g; luckily the FT can (almost) hold a bucket full of water (have not tested it...)

The first image is with CFF flattener, the second with Riccardi reducer (sorry about image orientations).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1258.jpg)
174.9 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1254.jpg)
188.9 KB58 views
Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

All looks really nice Suavi!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Glad to hear they arrived, Suavi. Look forward to the first light images
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Looks awesome Suavi
Old 15-04-2017, 07:45 AM
gregbradley

That looks like a beautiful scope Suavi. I am not in the market for a scope but if I were I would be tempted by a nice 102mm wide angle scope with a flat field.

If AP contacted me and said they had a 130GTX ready I would go for it.

An FSQ130 sounds nice but no one seems to have posted any images through one that I can find.

An excellent 102 is a fine imaging instrument. Its good to see such a large and solid focuser on a small scope, that's unusual.

What is the corrected imaging circle of this scope? Will it handle a 16803 - 44mm diagonal?

Greg.
Old 15-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

We totally need a drool icon
Old 15-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you gents!

I am VERY keen to properly test the Riccardi reducer, as well as the flattener. With the Riccardi the scope will be operating at f/4.5, as fast as I would like to go with a refractor and also with 3nm filters.

FT looks very solid and it is certainly a beautiful focuser, but there are a few things I preferred in my Moonlite, specifically I would like motor engagement ring in Boss II to lock in place more firmly, so I knew that the motor is properly engaged. Also, laptop connection with the focuser seems to be occasionally dropping; it never happened with my Moonlite. Already tried connecting it without the hub but the issue remained. It must be either SGP Pro issue or perhaps my laptop is too slow, because it only happens during running an imaging sequence. Again, had no issues like that with my Moonlite and with the same hub, same laptop and with SGP.

Greg, yes, Catalin told me that this telescope has 52 mm illuminated circle (because of machined baffles in the OTA) and 44mm corrected imaging circle at f/6 with their monster flattener. CFF's larger refractors have a larger corrected circle, with their next one up (132mm) having 52 or 55mm corrected imaging circle.

Will report further as soon as I get a chance to properly test the rig.

Suavi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CFF.jpg)
216.7 KB67 views
Old 15-04-2017, 04:48 PM
blink138 (Pat)

love the pier too suavi, part of the mount or a separate item?
pat
Old 15-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

The pier- Eagle has been designed specifically for Mach 1. Very sturdy. Got it together with the mount head.
Old 16-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

First light

Ahoy Comrades!

Last night weather was good so I finally tested the flattener and Riccardi reducer. With the Riccardi at f/4.5 I got a substantial tilt in one of the corners and will need to get a tilt adapter to try rectifying this issue. Elongated stars remained in the same corner as I rotated the focuser, so then I tried just rotating the QSI t-thread adapter and bingo - elongated stars were now in a different corner. Already ordered a tilt adapter to rectify that.

With the flattener at f/6 precise orthogonality is not as much important as at f/4.5, so the stars look acceptable. Nonetheless correcting the orthogonality should help the stars as well, so I will look into that in the following weeks.

As for good news, FT focuser worked flawlessly last night - I suspect previous connection issues were due to interference from cables powering dew heaters. New gear, new challenges...

Managed to get seven 15-minute Ha subs of the headless chicken with the flattener. Image scale is 1.18 arcsec per pixel: http://www.astrobin.com/291983/

Thank you for following this thread

Suavi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (First 7 subs_small.jpg)
134.6 KB65 views

Last edited by Slawomir; 16-04-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 16-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

I have been trying to work on the exact same area....looking forward to your results.
Old 16-04-2017, 02:11 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Congrats on your first light chicken, Suavi
Old 16-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I've had far worse tilt than that Suavi! Looking good though, once you get it all failed in you'll be humming along. I've been imaging at 1.158"/pixel (very similar to yours) and find it worthwhile drizzling a lot of the time. Even if all it does is get you from 2" to 4" FWHM, i find it allows you to process a little harder (albeit several times longer).
Old 16-04-2017, 03:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I've had far worse tilt than that Suavi! Looking good though, once you get it all failed in you'll be humming along. I've been imaging at 1.158"/pixel (very similar to yours) and find it worthwhile drizzling a lot of the time. Even if all it does is get you from 2" to 4" FWHM, i find it allows you to process a little harder (albeit several times longer).
Epic typo there Colin...FAILED IN....LOL
Old 16-04-2017, 10:13 PM
DJScotty (Scott)

That looks nice Suavi.

Nice Bok (bok bok buckaw!) globules! (Someone has to have done that joke before right!)
Old 17-04-2017, 06:42 AM
gregbradley

Beautifully sharp Ha image. I agree the tilt is minimal. Bottom right corner?

A little bit of brass shim would correct that. It probably needs to pack out the top left corner looking at the camera from behind it.

Which camera is this again? QSI690? I like the tiny stars.

Greg.
Old 17-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you all for your replies and advices. I will try to sort out the tilt soon (hopefully).

I would like to use the telescope with the reducer at f/4.5 for narrowband, and perhaps with the flattener at f/6 for some galaxy chasing one day.

Added a bit of data to the chicken (4hrs 15min in total). It is still undercooked but hopefully will turn out alright when I get enough data. Dozen of flats, bias and a stretch were applied.

http://www.astrobin.com/full/291983/B/?nc=user

It is soooo good to be imaging again!
Suavi

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to answer your question Greg. Yes, it is QSI 690. Wouldn't swap if for anything at this stage, maybe with the exception of FLI 16200...

EDIT #2: Just read interesting impressions from a user of a smaller brother of my CFF105mm - looks like CFF is really crafting nice telescopes: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-f6/?p=7828234
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (First 17 subs_small.jpg)
130.7 KB22 views

Last edited by Slawomir; 20-04-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 25-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi all,

Last night I managed to significantly reduce tilt with the Riccardi reducer. It took 0.1 mm of camera adjustment to correct it. There is some slight curvature still present, but not sure if that can be corrected with playing with the spacing. It might be as well a limitation of the Riccardi, so I think I will leave things as they are. I have learnt that precision is essential with a refractor at f/4.5...

A star field for a reference: http://www.astrobin.com/full/293135/0/

It's imaging time!

Suavi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (curvature.jpg)
123.2 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (Tilt.jpg)
92.1 KB18 views