Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2016, 06:03 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Rivets done...Dome nuts done...Az done...it has 10º either side of centre. Now waiting for a clear night so I can get the 6" f12 Refractor on it for a trial run. The only big thing to do is pour a concrete foundation. Other bits are a a small redo of the connections to the stepper motors, make a Polar Scope (not really needed as I can't see the pole from my location) add a couple of wood panels on the pier for RA and Dec hand controller, Argo Navis unit, ipad with skywire and a 12V power splitter. When it works as I want it then...pull it apart and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4582.jpg)
101.3 KB110 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4583.jpg)
68.6 KB94 views
Old 29-09-2016, 03:24 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

AWEbloodySOME !!!!.
Brian.
Old 30-09-2016, 05:52 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
AWEbloodySOME !!!!.
Brian.
Thanks Brian. Now got the thing up in the backyard...it was blue skies when I started with a promise of a clear night...and I'm not working

Ummmm its big...bigger than I thought. At least I can do straight through viewing without any trouble at all
This is the first time with the Refractor on top, I hope it works as well as before with the lighter shorter Reflector...

This is an f12 150mm refractor which is a bit over 2 metres long with Dewshield and it looks small up there....just a bit of a feeling of... oh dear what have I done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4591.jpg)
114.2 KB193 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4590.jpg)
125.2 KB166 views
Old 01-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

A serious bit of kit there Matt! Love what you have accomplished!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:55 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Looks awesome Matt...but gee, I can't keep my eyes off the Byers drive there...those beautiful gold gear teeth really interested to hear how it tracks

Congratulations on a great project, impressive.

Mike
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 AM
bojan
amateur

It really needs a dome...
Old 04-10-2016, 01:37 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Looks awesome Matt...but gee, I can't keep my eyes off the Byers drive there...those beautiful gold gear teeth really interested to hear how it tracks

Congratulations on a great project, impressive.

Mike
Thanks Colin and Mike...it ain't finished yet. About 2 years ago when I started this project I put an ad for a Byers drive and got the response from someone..can't remember who...that once you have a Byers Drive you keep it so better get a new one, which was great advice. Only wished I had bought two, a 7" one for the Dec, but at that stage it was a tangent on the Dec I was wanting Yes Mike the Byers gear is a thing of beauty and so far in tests very smooth...soon I'll have the mount on concrete base and get it polar aligned, then I'll find out how it tracks.

A dome is on the list Bojan...a hand built dome perhaps. Seen it done over on CN. Have seen Bloodhounds dome too... defiantly possible, all in good time.
Old 18-11-2016, 01:06 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

The pier is in Dug a 600x600x400 hole and filled it with concrete mixed by hand. The base has 4 M10 bolts extending down with big washers for staying power. A couple of coats of etch primer and 3 of satin black all from spray cans. Happily it stayed level enough, and is facing true south so I hope for minimal Az adjustment. Three wood panels are on with Copper handles, cause I thought that would look really good...and it does. I made Brass cradles for the motor controller and Nexus unit.

Now to pull apart the EQ head and give it the same treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4602.jpg)
141.7 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4604.jpg)
129.8 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4608.jpg)
78.4 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4607.jpg)
73.4 KB82 views
Old 18-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Kunama

Looks beautiful Matt, I am coming down for the F1GP in a few months and will come by to have a closer look.....
Old 20-11-2016, 10:00 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Matt! What's happened to that one time massive OTA!!! It's shrunk!

Just stunning, mate. One day the clouds over Melbourne may even part and allow you use that superlative instrument you've created.

Beautiful.

And a little reminder of what the set up first looked like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaunt visit LR (2).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	207032 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaunt visit LR (6).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	207036 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaunt visit LR (8).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	207033 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaunt visit LR (10).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	207034

Now you can see why the jibe about the shrinking OTA!

Alex.
Old 20-11-2016, 05:18 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Here is a bit more....hard to know how to paint this thing so I started with the RA part..stripped it down carefully putting bolts into marked containers, etch primed it, 2 coats and 3 of satin black which dries to a magnificent smooth finish.

Matt...let me know...will be up and running real soon.

Alex...... The Gaunt looks small next to the 2" PB...going to have to find a name for it...weather in Melbourne...can it get worse than the past year? Probably...yes.

One pic of the RA box. At least the weather has been kind for painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4609.jpg)
89.6 KB88 views
Old 29-11-2016, 10:48 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

In painting mode..First photo is the Dec axis in my 'paintshop' after a first coat of satin black.

Up on the mount for the first time is the RA. Set at the correct angle and hopefully close to the SCP.

Under the RA is a pile of teflon 1mm thick furniture slides to aid smooth movement of the RA in Azimuth.

Another week and I should be done

Seriously think of a solid 12kg Brass counterweight
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4611.jpg)
160.9 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4610.jpg)
95.8 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4612.jpg)
121.0 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4613.jpg)
69.8 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4615.jpg)
120.9 KB80 views
Old 30-11-2016, 12:57 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Nearly there....only the counterweight section to strip down paint and polish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4616.jpg)
111.3 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4617.jpg)
115.5 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4618.jpg)
109.4 KB75 views
Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

OK all done...hope its clear tonight for a try out with the 6" f12 on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4621.jpg)
175.1 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4622.jpg)
98.5 KB85 views
Old 02-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Occulta (Chris)

Name

A possible name ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LightBringer3.jpg)
179.1 KB86 views
Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 PM
sharpiel

How about "Old Light"
Old 31-12-2016, 04:56 PM
imhimmelkommter (Michael Toms)

GoTo not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Matt, I thought I'd be OK wearing one of those Hi Vis jackets....no? Actually a renovation Yard, like Steptoes here in Melbourne, might have what I want.

Lee, A slipclutch is in the photo below. The central part is bolted to the shaft and the slipping part is controled by the bolts and springs which press a teflon lined plate onto the bigger outer part with the teeth on it. There is a point when there is enough friction applied, via the springs and bolts, for the worm with motor attached to rotate the gear and scope at sideral rate. When you want to move the scope by hand that is possible too while the motor is still engaged....sounds harder than it is. A Tangent arm has a couple of parts, one attached to the telescope and the other bolted to the mount. The mount part needs to have a lock/unlock clamp of some description so you can move the scope in Declination and lock it in place. The design I used on the Gaunt has a threaded rod that has limited travel of 20º either side of a central position.
The Tangent is an old way of telscope control when gears were expensive and hard to make with accuracy. I still might just add a worm and gear on the Dec axis instead as it is possible to turn it into a GoTo mount with the right electrics. My idea is Argo Navis as the digital setting circles (DSC's) so GoTo isn't really needed, just tracking with a bit of slow slewing to centre objects.

Advantages of slipclutch...no noisy motors, other than that I dunno.
Advantages of Tangent....no motors at all, cheap to build, more threaded brass rod and gears visible and I love the control rods hanging off the end of a scope, in this case an 8" f10 R50 Refractor coming out from Istar next year.

I could have just gone out and bought an EQ8 or something like that but I'd rather build my own....
Matt. I am impressed by your mount its quite an inspiration one. Just a small request can let me know how your Argo Navis as the digital setting circles (DSC's) on the mount goes. I am too, opting out of GoTo and my 10" drive is on the way from BYERS's to venture into a home made mount. I like the idea too, of a tangent DEC control. Michael (Warrnambool, Victoria)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:35 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Nearly two years after starting....it's done

Drift aligned and tracks very smooth...as far as I can tell.

Any Melbourne long FL Refractor types wanna pop over and have a look, just send me a PM. This thing is a heavy lump of aluminium and brass.

As for a name....think I'll call it a PB2....

Matt
Old 13-01-2017, 09:05 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

That's one spectacular mount Matt.
Still portable if you have a one tonne ute
Will the scope be mounted as needed or permenantely?
May have to book in for a squizz sometime....
Bo
Old 25-02-2017, 09:21 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Bo,

When not in use and it looks fine (not heavy rain that is) I cover the scope with a couple of tarps tied down and hope for the best I did manage to leave the scope out covered one night last year...so I thought...wake up in the night to hear rain falling and not worry about it as the scope was covered, but not tied down....woops. Of course wind had blown the tarp off and the mount and scope had been rained on for a few hours. No damage done to anything.... lucky me. At least the electric parts, hand controller Nexus etc was indoors. Now I tie the tarps down It takes about 10 minutes to mount the scope when its off the mount, not hard once I worked out how to do it.

One mod is to the Dec axis which was very 'rubbery' I added a 6mm plate bolted down with 11 bolts and machine screws and now it doesn't flex at all.

After a few months of stuffing around with sliding weights and adding an 8x50 Sky Watcher straight through finder, I needed a second finder, it is now complete. My solution to the East heavy problem is a 500g brass sliding weight at the focuser end...slid it down when the scope is on the East side to maintain gear mesh on the RA.

I have settled on an 80mm f7.5 achro with a TS 2" field flattener on a 2" GSO dielectric diagonal as the wide field scope, which gives 4º TFOV with a Pan 35 showing pinpoint stars to the very edge...an improvment over having the last 20% suffering Field Curvature.

The Byers gear tracks smoothly and now having found the perfect balance I can change from a TEC turret to a Pan 41 to WO Binos with the scope not moving, other than tracking.

Even though I built this scope and mount there was still a learning curve to use it.

Solid as a rock and moves like a well oiled machine

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4644.jpg)
147.0 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4645.jpg)
87.0 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4646.jpg)
97.4 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4642.jpg)
175.6 KB96 views