Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2017, 04:07 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Ngc 4945

NGC 4945 is a faint galaxy in the constellation of Centaurus, often overlooked in favour of its more attractive neighbour Centaurus A.
88 x 180 sec of light frame with equal darks, flat frames and bias frames.
Four distant galaxies can also be seen in the image.
Taken with FLT 110 with 0.8 reducer and full spectrum 1100D
Comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 4945 low.jpg)
195.8 KB122 views
Old 13-04-2017, 12:58 PM
batema (Mark)

Hi Bo. Beautiful scope and your image looks great however I would offer the advice to adjust the red level as the galaxy looks too red. I am no expert but google the galaxy to see the colour people process the galaxy. Is it the w/o reducer for this scope?
Old 13-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Bo, nice detail coming through in your shot of this galaxy, better than mine, either your scope is better, your focus was better or that extra 1 cm of aperture makes a difference! Your colours do look a bit rich where mine may not be enough, half way between yours and mine and it would be perfect. This galaxy would certainly benefit from shooting at a dark sky location. It's a tough one from Melbourne.
Old 14-04-2017, 11:44 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Hi Bo. Beautiful scope and your image looks great however I would offer the advice to adjust the red level as the galaxy looks too red. I am no expert but google the galaxy to see the colour people process the galaxy. Is it the w/o reducer for this scope?
Thanks Mark, yes, it's a bit on the red side. I a man using the WO 0.8x flattened reducer version 3, spacing is not exact, but I tend to trim the edges anyway so it doesn't bother me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Bo, nice detail coming through in your shot of this galaxy, better than mine, either your scope is better, your focus was better or that extra 1 cm of aperture makes a difference! Your colours do look a bit rich where mine may not be enough, half way between yours and mine and it would be perfect. This galaxy would certainly benefit from shooting at a dark sky location. It's a tough one from Melbourne.
Thanks Mick. I had a bit more data to play with (over 4 hrs) so that helps with the details of the background galaxies and I can stretch the final image more as well.
Old 16-04-2017, 11:27 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Nice one Bo! Funny enough, when the clouds give me a chance I will be shooting this with the same camera, but with the Newtonian.