Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-03-2017, 02:33 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Dob Laptop Mount

This probably won't be of much interest to anyone who doesn't have a largish dob and it may have been done more elegantly by others on this forum, but I thought I'd post it anyway. It's my effort to have a laptop mounted on a dob base so I can use Stellarium to control my scope without having to scurry back and forth from scope to table and risk tripping over cables in the dark.
It's comprised of a length of 70x35 pine framing which I've painted black to make it sleek and sexy. Attached to this upright is an adjustable monitor/TV bracket that I bought online from a place called Selbys for $39.99 inc. postage. The upright is fixed to the dob base and side panel with velcro, which gives a surprisingly good bond. There is a slight wobble due to the nature of the velcro, and while the whole thing is in no danger of collapsing (it actually takes quite a bit of elbow grease to detach it), I've put one bolt through it with a wing nut which stiffens the whole thing up very well. I've again just used velcro on the monitor attachment flanges, with corresponding velcro tabs fixed to the underside of the laptop. With another bolt hole in a slightly different location to suit two scopes, it can be attached to either my 8" or 16" dob in about 20 seconds. All up the whole thing cost me about $60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8782.JPG)
109.7 KB64 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8783.JPG)
102.7 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8784.JPG)
156.5 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8785.JPG)
157.0 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8786.JPG)
163.7 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8787.JPG)
163.1 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8788.JPG)
185.6 KB42 views
Old 18-03-2017, 08:32 PM
fbk (Fraser)

Very neat mod, nice work!
Old 18-03-2017, 10:42 PM
noswonky (Peter)

That looks very nice. I made something like this to hold an iPad on my 12 inch Skywatcher - but only made of wood.

On a side note - How old are your Skywatcher scopes and what's the tracking like?

I ask because mine is a very early model which I bought in 2010 when the goto dobs first came out. The tracking has always been a bit jerky in the azimuth axis. An object in the eyepiece will drift for a few seconds and then the scope will jump suddenly to correct it, and then it drifts again and corrects again. It's not really a problem for visual observing, but it can be annoying when using a video camera. So I was wondering if the tracking is smoother on later models.
Old 18-03-2017, 11:09 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noswonky View Post
That looks very nice. I made something like this to hold an iPad on my 12 inch Skywatcher - but only made of wood.

On a side note - How old are your Skywatcher scopes and what's the tracking like?

I ask because mine is a very early model which I bought in 2010 when the goto dobs first came out. The tracking has always been a bit jerky in the azimuth axis. An object in the eyepiece will drift for a few seconds and then the scope will jump suddenly to correct it, and then it drifts again and corrects again. It's not really a problem for visual observing, but it can be annoying when using a video camera. So I was wondering if the tracking is smoother on later models.
My 8" skywatcher is probably 4-5 years old, and the 16" is only a few months old (well I've had it since January - not sure how long it sat in a warehouse). Both of them track very well - certainly no "drift" as you describe it, which seems quite odd. There are very minor corrections as it tracks, and I'm pretty fastidious in terms of leveling the base and having the time/location as accurate as possible when doing a two star alignment, but that shouldn't affect the actual smoothness of the tracking. Perhaps your az axis needs a bit of loosening/greasing? I've never touched the gears on my 8" but I've heard it's not too hard to do - I believe there's a PDF floating around that explains how to do it. The 8" gears would have to be modified internally; the 16" model has external wheels to loosen the axes for when you don't want to use the GOTO, which is then very smooth to move around.
Old 18-03-2017, 11:31 PM
noswonky (Peter)

Thanks for the feedback Patrick. Maybe mine just needs an adjustment. I think I found the PDF you mentioned in this thread:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=139015

I'll give it a go.
Old 19-03-2017, 07:35 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Yeah that's the one - hope it works for you!
Old 19-03-2017, 09:24 AM
JA

You da boss Nice Mod

Best
JA
Old 19-03-2017, 09:26 AM
NoTan2 (Paul)

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.