Old 20-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

2014 jo25

Hey all, I'm keen to observe this asteroid tonight!!! Has any one noticed that sky safari 5 is giving 2 asteroid names 2014 JO25 and positions . I presume one will get me close tonight ???
Old 24-04-2017, 07:48 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

yeah, accurate position data takes a bit of time to get updated and rolled out to programs. and then when I process my photos the comet isnt where its meant to be, I guess it takes longer for the comet to get the updates too asteroids must be so much more troublesome to get a camera or eyepiece on them.

I only trust the sky hound comet chasing site for whats in the sky at the moment and its finder maps are typically ok, as is Starry Nights , I only use Sky Safari after comparing it to the other two to aide me outside getting my camera trained on the region.
Old 25-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Thx for the reply , believe it of not a large Dob may not be the best instrument to use. A wide FOV can not be underestimated. By the time the asteroid was in our skies , it was beyond binocular ability. I spent 2 hours looking to no avail with a map that Suzy had shared but unlike the maps for closest approach which were available for Northern astronomers , it did not show any fine detail. Unfortunately some do get away. This one did.
Old 27-04-2017, 06:47 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

hats off to you for trying, comet hunting is tricky enough for me, never attempted asteroid. beside I would have thought a large dob would be the best tool for the job so a lot of my hunting is with photos