Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-12-2019, 02:48 PM
John_trueblue (John)

G'day all.

For many years ive had a passing interest in wanting to get into Astrophotography but never got around to doing anything.

I have no skill on this subject so been reading and watching youtube about beginner scopes and mounts ect, had a few ideas on what i wanted but thoughts have changed.

So basically what i have come up with is to get a Refractor scope, say a ED-80 Triple APO.

The goto mount im sold on is the EQ6-R Pro so thats a no brainer.

But with the scopes there are many manufactures who make these.

Each have a slight cost difference and then most ive read about you have too account for the added extras.

EG:

Explore Scientific ED-80 480MM OTA - $1399
(FCD100 series) OTA - $1,899

SkyYWatcher ESPRIT 80-ED 400MM OTA - $2,399

(COMES STANDED WITH Field Flattener with M48 Thread, T2 Canon Camera Adapter, 2″ Dielectric Star Diagonal, 9×50 Right Angled Erect Image Diagonal,
D Style dovetail Bar, 2″ to 1.25″ Eyepiece Adaptor, Aluminium Foam-Lined Case)

So basicly im pushing towards ES ED-80 (FCD100 series)
But the SW 80-ED with all that stuff including an alloy case for extra $500 is tempting but you loosing 80mm in Focal length.

Tuff choices.
Old 29-12-2019, 10:28 PM
Xeteth (David)

Hi John, welcome to ISS!

You've made a great choice with the EQ6-R, I've myself been using one since I started Astrophotography about 6 months ago and have had no hassle. One big tip with it though - the newest series of it had a USB B port added to the mount head which means you can use a regular cable for connection. I highly recommend making sure that the one you buy is this latest series that has the USB port, it means you don't have to buy the specific connection cable previously required. Here's a shot of mine so you can see the USB port - https://imgur.com/gallery/ExHCQpc. You'll also need a power supply as the mount comes with a cigarette style plug, you can pick one up from Jaycar for about $40 or so.

As for the scope, again you've gone a similar route to what I did (although I went for a 100mm refractor). At 80mm you'll be fine to do unguided subs (as long as you've polar aligned well) without issues. If you want to jump up to a 100mm I'd suggest an autoguiding setup.

My scope is the ES ED102 FCD100 (Carbon Fiber) series and I've been really happy with it for it's price point. One consideration though - the Explore Scientific scopes come standard with the Meade style finderscope bracket which is frankly a pain in the ass. You'll need a custom fit piece/adapter if you want to mount pretty much any non-ES/Meade style finderscope (thankfully ScopeStuff has you covered, I ordered one of these and it arrived within about 3 weeks - http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_s2es.htm).

Other than that, what camera are you planning on using? Have you thought about processing software etc? I know it's a whole lot to think about but it's very easy to have budget blowouts or unexpected costs in this hobby (as I found out the hard way).

The community on ISS is great, with a ton of people willing to help out and answer any questions you have so don't be afraid to ask away! Welcome to the obsession of AP!
Old 30-12-2019, 12:53 AM
John_trueblue (John)

Thanks for the tips, i am aware that the newer versions of the mount now come out with the USB, so befor purchasing i will check that they not sell me the older stock.
I was wondering about the finder scope mount, non of the websites ive looked at mention what type it is.
As for a camera, i have a 5yr old 60D which i was testing out last night only to find the sensor is riddled with hot pixels. then there are Xs marked out by my camera possibly showing pixels that are dead.

Thank for warm welcome and tips
Old 30-12-2019, 05:18 AM
John_trueblue (John)

1/4 crop pixels galor

yeah so this is the pic, its a cropped image and it shows all the hot pixels and them white dots are X's that my camera had deemed broken (i think).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pixels.jpg)
53.3 KB85 views
Old 30-12-2019, 08:45 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Going for a small refractor is the best decision to get started. Years of fun ahead.

Hot pixels can be removed with bad pixel maps ir darks. You'll have to do a bit of reading on calibration and processing. All part of the fun.
Old 21-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Ricardo (Richard)

As a starting point I got a SW Black Diamond ED-80 APO with a .85 flattener / reducer (taking it to a 510mm FL) and it works well.
Old 21-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_trueblue View Post
yeah so this is the pic, its a cropped image and it shows all the hot pixels and them white dots are X's that my camera had deemed broken (i think).
dithering is your friend
Old 21-01-2020, 12:33 PM
leon

Oh dear, another member has caught the terminal Astro disease, you wont recover from this John.
Hope you enjoy this great pastime.

Leon