Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 05-12-2019, 04:44 PM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Back in the game, a new image with a new setup

Hi all, it has been more than three years since my last post in this forum, which corresponds more or less to the hiatus I took from astro-photography, even if I have meanwhile enjoyed doing some planetary imaging from my new home in Singapore.
During the last years I got busy updating my observatory in Coonabarabran with a new OTA, much larger than my mighty TEC140, which gave me so many satisfactions in the last decade.
The new telescope is a Officina Stellare Rifast 500, a fast astrograph 500mm f/3.8 with a large corrected field but also much more complex to tune that my old refractor. I have experienced first hand the difficulties of moving to fast scopes with their demanding tolerances on focusing, planarity and collimation.
Anyhow I am getting close to tame the beast and I am happy eventually to produce the first light image with it . The subject is a classic of this period, the Silver Coing Galaxy NGC 253, however I appreciate how the faster optics could easily record the faint extended halo of this galaxy and yet deliver some interesting resolution on tiny details.

Silver Coin Galaxy

The camera is still my "old" PL16803 which produces on the Rifast a nice square degree field of view @ 0.98"/pixels, which is a good match with the average seeing conditions I have at my site.
I have to admit that I got pretty rusty in processing after such a long pause and I am back learning a lot of the basics, so it will probably take a while before I will be again comfortable with all PS and Pixinsight passages I used to do I will update the observatory page on my website on the coming weeks or months (not in hurry here), adding details about the new telescope, meanwhile feel free to ask me if you need any information about it.

I hope you will enjoy the image and I am happy to be back in the game!

Clear skies
Marco
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC253_HaLRGB_sRGB-L.jpg)
120.1 KB229 views
Old 05-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Dark site, Big aperture, fast optics, excellent camera, expertly processed
hence you'd expect a good result...but what a result!

A truly exceptional rendition of a perennial favourite. Fantastic !
Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 PM
gregbradley

Great to see you back Marco. A fabulous start. You really caught that extended halo which is always a great thing to see in galaxy images.

A wonderful scope that should see many good years of superb images.

Greg.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Unbelievable. Stunning. The halo is most impressive. I didn't know it was there.

Welcome back!

Mike
Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

To echo others, you’ve done a great job to show the extent of that extended halo! The detail and contrast within the core is very good too!
Large fast optics with big pixels, cannot go wrong!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Welcome back (with a bang!) Marco

Nice deep image of NGC 253, I agree a fast scope and with aperture, sure makes a difference

Great shot and I suspect the quality will only get better as you continue to dial this new temperamental beast in

Any photos of the new beast on site in Coona?

Your planetary images are World class by the way, enjoyed looking through those too

Mike
Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Nice rendition of the halo Marco. I don’t think I have ever seen it before
Old 05-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Woohoo! Marco’s back!
You’re one of my all time Astrophotography heroes and I’m delighted to see you saddled up & back on the imaging horse here on IIS.
Looking forward to more of these great images from you!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Outstanding image Marco! Welcome back!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM
alpal

Hi Marco,
outstanding image and I'm amazed at the planetary images too.
Glad to see you back.

cheers
Allan
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Nice to see you imaging again Marco. Top shot and what a beast of a scope!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 PM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Dark site, Big aperture, fast optics, excellent camera, expertly processed
hence you'd expect a good result...but what a result!

A truly exceptional rendition of a perennial favourite. Fantastic !
Thanks Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Great to see you back Marco. A fabulous start. You really caught that extended halo which is always a great thing to see in galaxy images.

A wonderful scope that should see many good years of superb images.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, it has been a loong pause from deep sky imaging but I have to say I feel back the excitement now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Unbelievable. Stunning. The halo is most impressive. I didn't know it was there.

Welcome back!

Mike
Thanks Mike! In fact I imagined the halo already with my TEC140 and Mr. Sidonio has also a deep image of it, however this is definitely a faint structure that requires lots of light to be collected in order to pop out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
To echo others, you’ve done a great job to show the extent of that extended halo! The detail and contrast within the core is very good too!
Large fast optics with big pixels, cannot go wrong!
Thank you Colin, funny as nowadays 9um pixels are considered "large" in a world switching to CMOS camera and their supertiny cells

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Welcome back (with a bang!) Marco

Nice deep image of NGC 253, I agree a fast scope and with aperture, sure makes a difference

Great shot and I suspect the quality will only get better as you continue to dial this new temperamental beast in

Any photos of the new beast on site in Coona?

Your planetary images are World class by the way, enjoyed looking through those too

Mike
Thanks Mike, in fact I have not many pictures of the rig, when I was there making the stuff working I was so busy that forgot to take some nice images of the equipment (plus, as a side note, as photographer I suck ). Attached anyhow a few of them, the Gemini focuser now is removed and replaced by a tip-tilt remotely controlled (custom made for me by OS), I do the focusing moving the secondary thanks to its innovative computer controlled support which allows as well to adjust the collimation remotely.
Several other things of this scope are quite particular, including the primary mirror which is conical to reduce weight and improve thermal acclimatization, not a common feature on this size-class telescopes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Nice rendition of the halo Marco. I don’t think I have ever seen it before
Thanks Geoff, about the halo see my reply above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Woohoo! Marco’s back!
You’re one of my all time Astrophotography heroes and I’m delighted to see you saddled up & back on the imaging horse here on IIS.
Looking forward to more of these great images from you!
Thanks Andy, I am honored!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Outstanding image Marco! Welcome back!
Thanks Mark, I am happy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Marco,
outstanding image and I'm amazed at the planetary images too.
Glad to see you back.

cheers
Allan
Thanks Allan, the planetary endeavor in fact is something I discovered to be lot's of fun, I am doing it from the roof top of my condo in Singapore, luckily despite here we totally miss sky darkness we experience usually a very good seeing, which is a great bonus for highres imaging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Nice to see you imaging again Marco. Top shot and what a beast of a scope!
Thanks you Marc!

I hope to post soon some new images, I am on the collecting photons phase these days

Clear skies
Marco
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_7113.jpg)
198.2 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_7116.jpg)
212.7 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4195.jpg)
199.8 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4196.jpg)
199.8 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_7096.jpg)
197.4 KB67 views
Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post

Thanks Mike, in fact I have not many pictures of the rig, when I was there making the stuff working I was so busy that forgot to take some nice images of the equipment (plus, as a side note, as photographer I suck ). Attached anyhow a few of them, the Gemini focuser now is removed and replaced by a tip-tilt remotely controlled (custom made for me by OS), I do the focusing moving the secondary thanks to its innovative computer controlled support which allows as well to adjust the collimation remotely.
Several other things of this scope are quite particular, including the primary mirror which is conical to reduce weight and improve thermal acclimatization, not a common feature on this size-class telescopes..

Clear skies
Marco
Wow excellent stuff, so you can adjust both tip and tilt of the camera and the collimation, remotely?? wow sounds a little fiddly, do they need tweaking often?

How awesome is that "el Capitan"! ....did yo know I got myself an AP1600GTO It's also awesome, I don't even use PEC and only polar aligned with the RA polar scope and it guides even better than the NJP did, Astrophyiscs make some nice kit

Good to have you back, don't be a stranger

Mike
Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM
alpal

Quote:

AP1600GTO

Mike

Mike - you wouldn't want to drop that puppy on your bare foot. ouchh.

Health and safety comes first.

( you'll have to excuse me - I do some health and safety jobs at work)

cheers
Allan
Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Mike - you wouldn't want to drop that puppy on your bare foot. ouchh.
...actually, of more concern and what was indeed on my mind during this photo, was the likely damage it would have done to what were then newly laid floorboards! I would have been in biiiiig sheet!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM
alpal

Quote:
...actually, of more concern and what was indeed on my mind during this photo, was the likely damage it would have done to what were then newly laid floorboards! I would have been in biiiiig sheet!

You're forgiven for not following health and safety rules.

Alpal
Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 PM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Quote:
Wow excellent stuff, so you can adjust both tip and tilt of the camera and the collimation, remotely?? wow sounds a little fiddly, do they need tweaking often?

How awesome is that "el Capitan"! ....did yo know I got myself an AP1600GTO It's also awesome, I don't even use PEC and only polar aligned with the RA polar scope and it guides even better than the NJP did, Astrophyiscs make some nice kit

Good to have you back, don't be a stranger

Mike
No Mike, no need to keep adjusting the collimation or the planarity of the camera However both of these activities are quite time consuming (in particular the planarity adjustment) but absolutely necessary at f/3.8! When I first mounted the camera on the Gemini focuser/rotator I got a lot of issues on the latter and eventually got the tip-tilt done. Now despite still it takes time to adjust everything, this can be done comfortably watching the monitor from everywhere I am, plus the adjustments are fully measured and repeatable, meaning I can get a very precise alignment at the end of the process. If I had the scope in my backyard I would probably just done all the adjustments manually, investing few nights until I got a satisfactory alignment, but having the equipment installed so remotely it is a great bonus to have everything controllable over the internet OS told me they also integrated some tip-tilt sensors into the secondary support, with the idea to make a fully automatic collimation and perhaps mapping and correct for any differential flexure it may occur at different pointing angles, however I believe they never actually developed the software since the structure is very rigid and strong enough to guarantee the alignment to be kept at any angle even with heavy loads.. At least at the moment I am using the secondary computerized "tripod" support to focus and it works great
About the mount, it is great and yes, tracking is very good. I bought it together with the dome and the rest of the observatory secondary equipment from the former owner, which used to have a TEC180 on it. I basically sold my old dome (2.3 meter, I believe like yours) and purchased this one (3.5m) that was just beside mine, that was coincidentally for sale at the same time.. The 3600 has even the absolute encoder installed on RA but I have to say I am still not using it, tracking is good enough and I want to make sure everything else is working well before adding further variables..
Last, considering the weight of the OTA (about 100Kg with the camera and accessories!), ElCapitain payload is a very good match

Happy to be back too mate
Ciao
Marco
Old 06-12-2019, 04:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Is that petal shaped sheet behind the primary some dew heater?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 PM
marco (Marco Lorenzi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Is that petal shaped sheet behind the primary some dew heater?
Yes indeed, the scope was installed with both both primary and secondary mirrors heaters, however I found no need to use them and even OS recommends not using in most of the cases, apparently unless crazy humidity heating the mirrors create more troubles than benefits..
Ciao
Marco
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post
Yes indeed, the scope was installed with both both primary and secondary mirrors heaters, however I found no need to use them and even OS recommends not using in most of the cases, apparently unless crazy humidity heating the mirrors create more troubles than benefits..
Ciao
Marco
That's very interesting. The only contact seems to be at the bottom of the mirror. Do you know why it is this shape?