Old 31-03-2013, 02:00 PM
EyeSpy (Mike)

CF memory speed

As a relative newcomer to the use of the DSLR I would like to ask - if I want to buy a bigger compact flash card does the speed of the card have any relevance. Am I wasting money on a more expensive high speed card? I have a Canon 350d.
Old 31-03-2013, 02:20 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Slower card means it takes longer to save an image. This probably won't matter too much if your using it for astro stuff but it would make a big difference if you're trying to shoot stills continuously.
I'm sure if you got a really slow card the camera wouldn't be able to reach it's potential frames per second, but I also don't think the 350D is going to use a top of the line 90MB/sec extreme pro to it's full potential. So somewhere in between.
I've always been happy with my Sandisk Extreme 60MB/sec cards and if they're fast enough for my 5DmkII I'm sure they'll work for you too.
Old 31-03-2013, 03:05 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

As Hugh says, for astro it should not matter what speed you get.

Assume you might want to be able to shoot long bursts. Take the fastest frames/sec the 350d can shoot (ie 3), multiply by the size of the images (RAW+JPG) in megabytes (about 8+1.5). That comes out at something like 30MB/sec. SanDisk Extreme would be fine. Ultra would be marginal. A 16GB card should hold about 1600 RAW+JPG images.

You're lucky. Extreme Pro get no-where near keeping up with the burst rate of my a77.
Old 31-03-2013, 04:30 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Solar eclipse work is one area where a faster card comes in handy mind you. I tried a larger faster card in my ageing 450D after coming back from Cairns and was surprised at the difference versus the original older "fast" cards.

Otherwise, when shooting minutes at a time its hardly an issue.