Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 21-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

NGC 2467: Snoopy revisited

NGC 2467 (big one here) is a 7 mag emission nebula and open cluster in Puppis. The thumbnail labels some important discoveries:

The nebula is Snoopy on vacation, heading for the beach. He is sitting on his rocket ship. The nose cone of the rocket is toward top left, and the four blue ion drives are at bottom right. If you cannot see Snoopy, there is no hope, but some of the details (his bathing cap, beach ball (filled with stars), his coat-hanger for his clothes, his very retro dangly bow tie, are all clearly labelled in the thumb.

New to us is the extent of the smoke (toward top right), and poignantly, his pet lamb which is tucked under his arm.

20 inch PlaneWave CDK. FLI PL16803. Ha: yellow, 9 hrs. OIII: blue, 6 hrs. 0.55 sec arc/pixel, South up.

We are still struggling with some minor technical details after a two-year-long complete rebuild of all the electronics, including 5 Arduinos to control all the motors, and complete rewrite of all the software in C# to be more future-proof. We seem to have resolved a nasty balance-and-stiction issue which was producing double stars, by biasing the weight toward the south, but we're still having some deep software issues with east-west guiding.

Progress has been glacial since Spring, due to hideous NSW bush fires, dust storms, gales, heat waves, and now perpetual cloud. This image took four nights over three months to acquire. We are delighted to have gotten anything at all.

New to us is the extent of the "smoke" (mostly H-alpha) which in our previous image was out of field. If the clouds would go away, we'd like to extend the image half a panel to the right.

This image is (controversially) in HHO (H-alpha to yellow, OIII to blue) not just for a happy sand-and-surf look, but because we both loathe the butcher's apron, blood-and-guts cryovac kangaroo liver surgery-gone-wrong HOO palate.

We'd like to add SII, for a more traditional SHO palate. Fat chance this summer.

Best,
Mike and Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Snoopy HHO Ha 9rs OIII 6hrs annotated thumb.jpg)
163.2 KB96 views

Last edited by Placidus; 21-02-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 21-02-2020, 05:00 PM
topheart

Hi M+T,
Great to see an image from you.
I am so sorry you have had so many challenges to overcome. Your dedication tot the art/science is inspirational.
All the best going forward with the whole shebang!
Cheers,
Tim

P.S. I like the image very much.
Old 21-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Very nice rendition M&T, great detail and contrast. I will have to check it out on my big screen at some point in the next day or so.
HHO is a little controversial but it is befitting of Snoopy
Old 21-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Very nice rendition M&T, great detail and contrast. I will have to check it out on my big screen at some point in the next day or so.
HHO is a little controversial but it is befitting of Snoopy
Thanks, Colin. We suspect the Red Baron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Hi M+T,
Great to see an image from you.
I am so sorry you have had so many challenges to overcome. Your dedication to the art/science is inspirational.
All the best going forward with the whole shebang!
Cheers,
Tim

P.S. I like the image very much.

Cheers Tim. That's kind.

---

Some unimaginative and ghoulish souls call this the "Skull and Crossbones" nebula. One can kind of see the cross bones as an "X" in the middle of Snoopy's bathing cap.
Old 22-02-2020, 08:19 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Great to see another image from you guys! Sorry to hear about your continued plethora of issues.

I shot this one in RGB; I think it was the first image I captured with the 8" newt and 178m and I was still having issues with it... I wasn't happy with my image and removed it from my public gallery. I found it quite a tough target to present in an aesthetically pleasing way in RGB, so I can appreciate a high quality image of this target when I see one, and this is one for sure.

I have to say I'm not a fan of HHO, I tend not to like yellows and greens in my deep sky photos, but to each his/her own.
Old 22-02-2020, 08:25 AM
gregbradley

That's a very detailed and hi res image.

I haven't seen this one before. I thought it was more of a northern hemisphere object.

Greg.
Old 22-02-2020, 08:54 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Nice to see you guys back on the imaging horse!
Stuffed if I can see Snoopy (I tried), but I'm enjoying the image
Our preference for colour palettes varies widely, but there's some great detail there.
Welcome back!
Old 22-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Great to see another image from you guys! Sorry to hear about your continued plethora of issues.

I shot this one in RGB; I think it was the first image I captured with the 8" newt and 178m and I was still having issues with it... I wasn't happy with my image and removed it from my public gallery. I found it quite a tough target to present in an aesthetically pleasing way in RGB, so I can appreciate a high quality image of this target when I see one, and this is one for sure.

I have to say I'm not a fan of HHO, I tend not to like yellows and greens in my deep sky photos, but to each his/her own.
Thanks Lee. We'll rush to add SII and then the colours will look more familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That's a very detailed and hi res image.

I haven't seen this one before. I thought it was more of a northern hemisphere object.

Greg.
Thanks Greg! Despite the heat, the flies, and the damned drums, the seeing hasn't been too bad this summer. It was about 1.8 sec arc for this set. Perhaps the dry air helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nice to see you guys back on the imaging horse!
Stuffed if I can see Snoopy (I tried), but I'm enjoying the image
Our preference for colour palettes varies widely, but there's some great detail there.
Welcome back!
Thanks Andy. Colour comments accepted. We'll definitely have a go at adding SII and then hopefully our colour sins will be forgiven.

Cheers to all.
MnT
Old 23-02-2020, 06:01 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yes great to see you back at it guys..and the famous Mike BJ colour palette ...and looking good so far, Nice

Mike
Old 23-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Hi guys, I like the image and the detail, but it lacks...pop! Maybe the colours?? Dunno....
Old 23-02-2020, 08:22 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yes great to see you back at it guys..and the famous Mike BJ colour palette ...and looking good so far, Nice

Mike
Thanks Mike. We feel reassured by your words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Hi guys, I like the image and the detail, but it lacks...pop! Maybe the colours?? Dunno....
Cheers, Bart. We tried it in HOO and even H(H0)O. It doesn't work for us. In particular, the big over-arching loop of Ha across the top right becomes much harder to see.
Old 24-02-2020, 07:40 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Great to see you back on the horse Mike. Looks good. Here's to a better winter than the summer we've just had.
Old 24-02-2020, 09:21 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Nice to see a classic MnT image in the can. I empathise with the lack of imaging time as I too have not gathered any reasonable data since last October. We shall await our next photon gatherings with patience.
Old 25-02-2020, 07:18 AM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Great to see you back on the horse Mike. Looks good. Here's to a better winter than the summer we've just had.
Thanks Marc. We'll drink to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Nice to see a classic MnT image in the can. I empathise with the lack of imaging time as I too have not gathered any reasonable data since last October. We shall await our next photon gatherings with patience.
Cheers Rodney. We've noticed many an evening where it's still heavy cloud at midnight, and then a crystal clear sky at breakfast time just to torture us. A recurring pattern all summer.