Old 18-10-2010, 07:49 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Buying a Canon 10-22mm lens.

Looking at buying a 10-22mm Canon lens this week from DWI.

The only problem I can see is DWI do not stock the canon hood for this

lens,They carry a non-canon brand hood range,and I do not think they have

the one that fits this lens.

Is there anyone here using or have used this lens?the question is does this lens

need the hood?,From the pics I have seen of the hood,it does not look like

it would protect the lens much,I have heard the hood is essential for the lens

to work,is this so?
Old 18-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Phil Hart

I've got this lens and have never had a hood, although have not used it much recently. I enjoyed the lens a lot before I moved up to shoot more with the 5DmkII.

At 10mm, there's really very little a hood can do.. even stacking two filters will cause vignetting.

Phil
Old 18-10-2010, 09:56 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I had a cheap eBay knockoff hood. I used it all the time but never did a comparison without the hood on.
Old 18-10-2010, 10:10 PM
koputai (Jason)

Chris,

I have this lens, and a genuine Canon hood. I never use the hood, and I wouldn't really worry about getting it if I was you. If you really want one though, I got mine off ebay, brand new for $45. They seem to be this price all the time there, versus about $90 from a discounter.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re 10-22mm Lens

Thanks Troy and Jason.

The lens arrived to day from Hong Kong,Looks good-DWI do a good job bubble

wrapping the parcels.

I have heard so many good things about this glass.Look forward to using it a lot,I asked on potn about the hood,90%to 95% of users gave the thumbs down
to the hood and its use.

Might buy a cheap Ebay job.will see how it goes.

Apparently,the experts on potn,really give a big thumbs up to this lens,on the crop its the same as the 16-35 on the full,and while the full would be the one to have,the 10-22-according to the experts does such a good job,its only Pixel peepers that can tell the difference.

I am really looking forward to those big wide starry sky wide angle photography episodes!

Cheers Chris
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
koputai (Jason)

It really is w-i-d-e isn't it Chris!

You're gonna love it for landscapes, and it's great for shots in cramped quarters like inside houses too.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:36 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re lens

It arrived yesterday Jason,only really unpacked it last night,to see all was in order.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet,Yes-inside houses-should be very useful.

Really looking forward to landscape photography.

I would like to get a graduation filter for this lens,any suggestions on where and how much?

Thanks,Chris
Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Where did you buy it from Chris? And how much was it?

I've always wanted that lens.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Chris, as I mentioned in PM, I'd get a (good quality) circular polariser first, then maybe a neutral density filter, then worry about graduated NDs. The first 2 are very versatile, useful, less bulky to carry around, quicker to piut on the lens, and cheaper. I would imagine that there aren't too many GND owners that didn't already have a CPL and ND filters in their bag.

For screw in, good quality CPL and ND filters you might be looking at $100-$150 or so. (Been a while since I bought mine, lost feel for price). Hoya and B&W are good brands. Get the multicoated Super Pro type ones. Check out 2filers.com, or Adorama, or B&H Photo. Not sure of Aussie distributors other than D-D-photographics.

For good quality GNDs you pay more than that just for the filter itself, plus you need to buy the holder, plus the adapter to fix it to the lens, plus you usually get a couple - 2 stop soft, 3 stop hard. I've gone with Lee filters. They're not the most expensive, but they're not the cheapest either. It was a compromise of quality, cost, and how much I'll use them. Best brands are Singh Ray. Steer clear of the Cokins. They're cheap, but from all reports they have a colour cast (ie they're not neutral, they make shots a bit magenta). Check out Adorama, B&H, or locally there's a mob down in Syd or Melb - Vanbar Imaging or something like that.

For such a wide lens, make sure the filters you get won't cause vignetting. Check to make sure the adapters are wide-angle type ones.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I tried the Cokin graduated filters - WOFTAM.

My preferred technique now would be to shoot bracketed exposures and combine them in PS. Not using HDR, but selective masking of the sky and merging images manually. Can be hit and miss if it's windy. I can show you how if I ever get back out to your place.

DT
Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Yes David, that was my point above. You can simulate (to some extent) GNDs with software and multiple exposures. But you can't simulate with software the effects of a CPL or ND filter.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

If you were doing a long exposure, then, you can't simulate the effect of a GND with software. Think: streaking clouds blown (saturated) to oblivion.

H
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

That's why you use your ND

I know it's not exactly the same, but don't you agree a CPL and ND would be more worthwhile first?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re 10-22mm Lens

Thanks Troy,David and Humayan.

When I bought my 17-55 F2.8 it came with a CPF,It's made by Tokia and it still has old price tag $120,not sure if this is a good one.I have not used it much,but I thought long and hard about my glass purchases-I now have 4 lenses that are 77 mm,for the reason of interchangeable filters etc.Not that I use them a great deal.

I was unaware about other 'bits' Troy mentions for graduation filter,sounds like all up will be a hefty purchase,So will do more research and try and understand a bit more before purchasing such items,

I do like the approach Humayan has,i.e to do as much as possible 'in camera' that is my goal for doing such photography.

Mike,The lens was purchased from DWI in Hong-Kong,I ordered it last Thursday it was $716 plus postage and insurance etc,Total $772 to my door,arrived yesterday.At this price it was difficult not to buy,The price could go down even more,But When I first looked at buying 3 weeks ago was $734 plus postage.

If one is a crop body user this lens is the same as a 16-35 L on a Full frame,apparently the POTN engineers give this lens a big thumbs up,while the full crop version is the one,this rates very highly along side it.

Hope this helps.I do hope one year I get to use it on a wide field starry night scene here in S.E QLD

I do not say day any more,so bad is the current cloud outs

Cheers Chris
Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Chris,

DDP have a sale on CPL filters at the moment. I picked up a 72mm Hoya Super Pro 1 for my 15-85 lens last Saturday, for $110 (instead of the rrp of $205). And note that the prices listed on the website are not the sale price (mine is still there as $142, not $110).

I'm also looking at getting a GND in the near future, and I've seen some people on the AP forum suggest that it's just as easy to hold the filter over the lens as you take the shot, and do away with the filter holder and adapter - could be a way to reduce the expense. Several AP members also suggest that the magenta colour cast is not really a problem with the newest Cokin GNDs, and only really becomes an issue when stacking several filters together. Haven't tested this myself though...

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Handholding all the way. Not just to avoid the expense, but, to avoid gradations in the final image.

H
Old 04-11-2010, 06:53 PM
koputai (Jason)

I thought graduated filters were only useful if you want to be published by UK photography magazines. Every landscape shot they ever use has a bleeding obvious GND over it!

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Jason,

The alternative is... what? Saturated sky? HDR? :shudder:

H
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM
koputai (Jason)

It's just that most of them are just way overdone, unnatural and totally obvious looking.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re filters

Ok,thanks chaps for advice.

How about I look at getting a ND8 filter,I have seen some of StephenM's results when he has used it,and I was impressed.

I will really have to see what one of these GND filters looks like,and understand a bit more about them,I have never handled,or used this piece of kit.

I thought it would be similar to the others.

I will have a look at some filters on these camera shop sites.

Thanks .Chris